4WD Clubs to suit a Grand Vitara

willo74

Hello All

I have just purchased a new Diesel Grand Vitara, which i would like to find out what it is able to do without breaking it in half.

I also want to drive with like minded people , i'm not saying i'm a scaredy cat, i just don't want to follow a group of lifted Crusiers or Patrols and feel that i am holding everybody up.

I have a young family , so a family focused group would be nice. If anybody has some suggestions for a good 4wd training course that also suits my new toy, I am all ears

Cheers Willo74

Last edited:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't how good they are but give a call

CAIRNS
Cairns Off-Road Driver Training
Website Link
Email Link
3 Snowwood Close, Mount Sheridan, 4870
Ph: 0402 329 372

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Hey Willo

Not sure where Freshwater is but judging by bmurray's post, it's in FNQ.
You could do a bit of surfing and find the Four Wheel Drive Queelnsland site and call/email some of the closeby club Presidents. You will find most clubs will welcome you with your Grand Vitara no problems as most will be family oriented clubs and offer easy to medium trips that will suit you. They may also offer driver training courses that you could go to if that's what you wanted.
Hey, after a while, you will probably be surprised where your Vitara will go!!

Nick

Poolman84

Join any club, they will cater for your needs more than the big rigs anyway, at least that's what I've found in my little one! They go just as far anyway!

Pure Yobbo

Very capable 4x4 they are - my little bro has one and he came for a run with us one time and I was amazed it wen everywhere we the rest of us went and we are in alot taller 4x4's than it.

Have fun very good little 4x4

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm not sure where Freshwater is (i was thinking like the Cooloola Coast) if so and if they are still going, The Suzuki 4X4 Club was good to me for many many years while i was first starting out ... I must say that was like back in the early 80's so how much they change i couldn't answer.

willo74

Thank for all the replies, Sorry about the location , Freshwater used to be Harboard, Next to Manly on Sydneys Northern Beaches

TheGbert

Like mind here, but not like situated...

Hey Willo74

Mate I too have an 09 GV diesel so far so good little tight on room at times but still roomy enough. Have had it off road on a few short occasions and so far it has bee very good on steep rocky ground in Victoria and some rocky rolling hills in SA with some muddy clay to boot esp is great in the mud going uphill but can sound a little disturbing on a down hill run...you'll understand when you hear what i mean

will be putting up a couple of pics of SA soon and also a video from Vic

Safari will have a snorkel by mid to late Jan 2010

Ground clearance is my biggest worry so short of suspension upgrades circa 900 bucks plus fitting for only a 35mm lift. I am looking at tyre options on steel rims (limited off road options for stock 17in rims) giving a larger rolling diameter and hopefully a little lift and good traction too but will have to see where that goes so 355 to 375 per tyre

Have you ventured out much with yours yet...Im in the same boat ...wife two kids etc

Cheers

TheGBert
Hello All

I have just purchased a new Diesel Grand Vitara, which i would like to find out what it is able to do without breaking it in half.

I also want to drive with like minded people , i'm not saying i'm a scaredy cat, i just don't want to follow a group of lifted Crusiers or Patrols and feel that i am holding everybody up.

I have a young family , so a family focused group would be nice. If anybody has some suggestions for a good 4wd training course that also suits my new toy, I am all ears

Cheers Willo74

willo74

Hey The Gbert

Thanks for the post reply, you have filled me with a bit more confident in my purchase. It is a great little 4WD, have done some off roading since i started this thread and hope to do more over the next couple of months. The Diesel engine is a great surprise with power and ecomomy.

You mentioned that Safari have a snorkle in the pipeline, have you checked out a Queensland company who specializes in Suzuki , outdoorauto4x4.
Well worth a look for accessories.

I have also been looking at the tyre issue, with me limited reserch, i think i will purchase a set of 16 inch rims as the tyre selection is much better, keep the 17's for re-sale.

Be interested in what you think?

Willo74

TheGbert

re post

As for another set of tyres the only issue I have not yet explored is insurance, and how it might affect my premium etc as they work off the tyre placard for the car on drivers door frame/b pillar. I salary package mine so I have to check with fleet maintenance in regards to what I can and can not do in regards to claiming the costs, so far I think if want to get new tyres with no out of pocket expence then it will be a replacment set and Im looking at the bridgestone D694's check bridgstone.com.au 4x4 tyres and d694 there is good video review conducted in the flinders ranges SA

Just had a look at website, heaps of aftermarket parts thanks for that, only thing is insurance issues with mods but will look into it...

cheers

Hey The Gbert

Thanks for the post reply, you have filled me with a bit more confident in my purchase. It is a great little 4WD, have done some off roading since i started this thread and hope to do more over the next couple of months. The Diesel engine is a great surprise with power and ecomomy.

You mentioned that Safari have a snorkle in the pipeline, have you checked out a Queensland company who specializes in Suzuki , outdoorauto4x4.
Well worth a look for accessories.

I have also been looking at the tyre issue, with me limited reserch, i think i will purchase a set of 16 inch rims as the tyre selection is much better, keep the 17's for re-sale.

Be interested in what you think?

Willo74

redback

The guys in the Suzuki Club are a great bunch, we (Land Rover Club) do some combined events with them, have found the guys in the Suzuki club to be very friendly.

Baz.

DazzGUIV

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Willo74,

Im over on the north side too up at Narrabeen. There is a local club which is family orientated - The All Wheel Drive Club of Sydney. All Wheel Drive Club of Sydney Incorporated - Home They meet at The Cove tennis club on the Eastern Valley Way in Chatswood East. They have a good driver training course to put the zook through its paces.

By the way im not affiliated to the club, i just know some past members and looked into joining a little while ago, so it might be worth checking out.

Cheers,

Dazz

TheGbert

Hey Willo74 check my profile for pics of my GV Diesel on one of the tracks nothing too difficult ...

we are going for some more serious 4x4ing over new years at O'tooles flat so I will let you know when I have posted some up, assuming you might be interested...

cheers

willo74

Hi TheGbert

I like the photos you have posted, it's good to see the Zook being used for what they are designed for.
I will be very interested in seeing more photos in the new year.
I am hoping to get out myself, we are thinking of Newnes State forrest, good tracks close to Sydney.
Enjoy your Christmas

Willo74