4WD & camper trailers

discomatt

Check out my camper I am selling we have done Fraser Island, the Vic high country, Kimberly including the Gibb , Oodnadatta track, Gammon Rangers Flinders Rangers and never had a problem.
Its a great buy for the $$ and very well maintained, the trick is drive to the conditions and don't overload the car or camper.
And don't get cought up with the whole independent twin shock BS with camper trailers, its just a marketing gimmick.
So the answer to your question is yes.
https://www.caravancampingsales.com...mper-trailers-evolution/SSE-AD-6250214/?Cr=12

discomatt

As long as you don't have Chinese made you will be fine, have said that though I have seen plenty of busted Kimberly Campers, hence the comment re suspension.

Hoyks

I haven't done the Gibb River Rd, but my understanding is that it corrugated to buggery, but plenty wide enough to even put a road train down. Do-able with a trailer, it might just shake it to death if its not up to the task.

The Cape is about the same, the road sees semi's and can be badly corrugated, it depends on when you catch it during teh season and when the grader has gone through.
The southern section is getting tarred further north all the time, so that isn't an issue. It will be challenging if you take the Telegraph Track or some of the side tracks as they can be a bit tight.
The Tele Track is achievable, plenty take their trailers through there and there is a bypass out to the main road to go around Gunshot, not that you have to drop in there as there are alternate entrances. Same to for Palm Ck.

sharkcaver

Some make it, some don't. Some expensive, some cheap. I don't have an answer as to why, why not.
I towed my locally built one across years ago without issue. This bugger had some drama I gather:

carnage.jpg

I haven't done the Gibb River Rd, but my understanding is that it corrugated to buggery, but plenty wide enough to even put a road train down. Do-able with a trailer, it might just shake it to death if its not up to the task.

The Cape is about the same, the road sees semi's and can be badly corrugated, it depends on when you catch it during teh season and when the grader has gone through.
The southern section is getting tarred further north all the time, so that isn't an issue. It will be challenging if you take the Telegraph Track or some of the side tracks as they can be a bit tight.
The Tele Track is achievable, plenty take their trailers through there and there is a bypass out to the main road to go around Gunshot, not that you have to drop in there as there are a really heavy good qualitalternate entrances. Same to for Palm Ck.
Thanks! Super helpful. We’ll get our trailer looked at by a pro to see if it’s up to the job. It’s

Hoyks

The 2 spare tyres on the back wouldn't have helped his cause.
That's a fair lump of leverage flexing the chassis every time that it hits a bump. The cyclic load had one cycle too many.

A guy I knew at work had a trailer that looked similar, the twin spares made it look hard core and helped balance out the ball weight from the massive fridge box, but it was just covering for poor design/engineering in the first place.

hiluxdriver

As long as you don't have Chinese made you will be fine, have said that though I have seen plenty of busted Kimberly Campers, hence the comment re suspension.
My Chinese hunk of crap did the Gibb. Flogged out the standard suspension and that was it. Didn't break in half at least. A lot depends on how hard you are on your gear as well as to whether or not it will survive

We recently did the Gibb with our camper in tow. No issues with the camper. Let your tyres down to help absorb some of the bumps and drive at a moderate speed, especially on the Eastern side going through the ranges as there are many dips. If you plan on going to Mitchell Falls leave the camper at King Edward River or Drysdale Station as the road out to the falls is brutal. Passed 1 camper dumped in the middle of the road with its undercarriage facing 90 degrees to the rest of the camper.