4WD boggins, rollovers, crashes, fires, creek crossings gone wrong and recoveries.

SirDrinksalott

Evidently Ranger wheel nuts are only good for 4-6 uses, after that you have to replace them, sure it says so in the book. Rattle guns are their arch enemy

I has a Discovery tyre replaced after I ripped it apart on gabbro rock in Scotland, fair play to the Disco, I didnt know it was flat until we got out to take pictures at the top of the track, figured that as I had not realised I had a flat so far there was no point in changing it on top of a mountain so drove on down to the bay where we changed it.

Anyway, a week later we set off traveling 9 hours home with 3 tyres showing the white stitching I got the ripped tyre fixed and replaced one of the worn tyres with it. The guy in the Tyre shop in Fort William used a rattle gun. Fast forward less than an hour we are doing 80mph through Glencoe and my mate said he could feel a vibration getting worse, he looks out of the passenger window and shouts stop! Apparently the wheel was wobbling.

We got out (all 7 seats taken) and every nut bar one was almost off the thread. No idea how he managed to screw up 4 bolts but it didnt end there. When I got home and went to replace all the other tyres, the stupid guy has cross threaded every nut on the spare wheel and the garage couldnt get it off.

Dread to think what could have happened losing a wheel at 80mph next to the rocky moor over Glencoe! Always check my wheel nuts now when I get a tyre changed.

billolga

I has a Discovery tyre replaced after I ripped it apart on gabbro rock in Scotland, fair play to the Disco, I didnt know it was flat until we got out to take pictures at the top of the track, figured that as I had not realised I had a flat so far there was no point in changing it on top of a mountain so drove on down to the bay where we changed it.

Anyway, a week later we set off traveling 9 hours home with 3 tyres showing the white stitching I got the ripped tyre fixed and replaced one of the worn tyres with it. The guy in the Tyre shop in Fort William used a rattle gun. Fast forward less than an hour we are doing 80mph through Glencoe and my mate said he could feel a vibration getting worse, he looks out of the passenger window and shouts stop! Apparently the wheel was wobbling.

We got out (all 7 seats taken) and every nut bar one was almost off the thread. No idea how he managed to screw up 4 bolts but it didnt end there. When I got home and went to replace all the other tyres, the stupid guy has cross threaded every nut on the spare wheel and the garage couldnt get it off.

Dread to think what could have happened losing a wheel at 80mph next to the rocky moor over Glencoe! Always check my wheel nuts now when I get a tyre changed.
I had that happen on my Patrol but it was not any rattle gun causing the problem as I had been doing the tightening & the nuts still came loose.
I worked it out later, the holes on the alloy rims had worn after years of heavy use & it wouldn't mattered how tight I had done them.

discomatt

Exactly same thing happened to me, new tires lazy tire fitters, heading away to the high country and developed a slight vibration which I thought I would check at the next servo and then decide whether I should cancel the trip. Another 4-5 km down the road and thought this is getting worse I have to stop now, pulled over to find 1 rear wheel held on by 3-4 turns on each wheel nut, another km and it would have come off. One other wheel was also loose but not to the same extent.
Lazy ass holes could have caused a major accident and killed somebody.

slivertoy

we had the same thing, sort of, last year, we were going up Deddick Track, and were all just about up the staircase, (those of you who have done this track will know it's pretty tricky and steep), one of our guy's heard a clunking noise, coming from the rear of a Patrol, whilst spotting for him, it turns out that noise was 3 wheel nuts missing and all of the others' where loose, to the point of nearly coming off.
3 wheel studs were sheared off too , lucky the Patrol guy's carry heaps of a spares and we found 4 wheel studs, so on the side of the track we replaced the sheared off wheel studs, robbed a few wheel nuts off the spare wheels of other Nissan's and good to go,
and yes, he had just got it back from the tyre shop, before the trip.
we now call him Kenny Roger's, " you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel":)
it pay's to check your wheel nuts, before, during and after a trip.

maddon

we had the same thing, sort of, last year, we were going up Deddick Track, and were all just about up the staircase, (those of you who have done this track will know it's pretty tricky and steep), one of our guy's heard a clunking noise, coming from the rear of a Patrol, whilst spotting for him, it turns out that noise was 3 wheel nuts missing and all of the others' where loose, to the point of nearly coming off.
3 wheel studs were sheared off too , lucky the Patrol guy's carry heaps of a spares and we found 4 wheel studs, so on the side of the track we replaced the sheared off wheel studs, robbed a few wheel nuts off the spare wheels of other Nissan's and good to go,
and yes, he had just got it back from the tyre shop, before the trip.
we now call him Kenny Roger's, " you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel":)
it pay's to check your wheel nuts, before, during and after a trip.
yeah // same same // got to weipa and the wife said something not right on the car - one stud left / wheel destroyed / had to steal bits from the other wheels to get to the town / mechanic correctly told me which wheel was the culprit without seeing it and had all the parts on the shelf - rear passenger which if anything goes wrong is the one that poops itself first -- can only blame myself for this one though /// too slack to check -- d22

Spooner

I still change any flat tyres on my truck , by hand on the side of the road when I have to, either Alloy's or Spider Rims, only ever tightened by hand and nothing has come loose or fallen off yet.

Bomber2012

Here we have a recent contender for tool of the week , apparently this bloke followed 2 trucks across this flooded creek and came to grief .
fullsizeoutput_10dd.jpeg

Rusty Panels

I've started this part of the forum to put together all of the information we have around some of the accidents that occur when people head out offroad. The whole point of this is not to make fun of those unfortunately enough to be unlikely, make a mistake or even being a bit stupid. We have all taken risks that we shouldn't have and some people end up in trouble because they just didn't know. 4WD Accidents is to help educate everyone and in particular newbies on how to increases their chances of heading out offroad, having an awesome time and coming back safe and sound.

I will kick off with my biggest stuff up.

https://4x4earth.com/podcasts/track-4-the-day-i-killed-my-jeep/
I would have titled it "Oh what a feeling, should have saved my money and bought a Toyota!".

Rusty Panels

This is doing the rounds on FB atm.... sheer madness attempting to drive this !
View attachment 66198
The area I used to live in had a very low concrete bridge that crossed the Wollondilly River and we could usually count on it going underwater at least a couple of times a year. There was another way in and out but it too had a low bridge that crossed the same river. It usually went under as well but you had a couple of hours before it did owing to the fact that it was a bit higher. It normally meant a couple of days at home landlocked but safe well above the water line. I used to cross our bridge when the water was about 300mm but that was the limit. For starters it was flowing pretty fast and even in a cruiser you could feel it pushing you, the other reason for not venturing through as the water rose was the fact that you had no idea what lurked below the surface. There could be trees or logs and in fact nothing to guarantee that the road was still there at all.You could well be driving into the centre of the earth. These clowns that endanger themselves and unbelievably their families need to bear the cost of the rescues that unfold in order to save their dumb arses. You wouldn't see me crossing that in anything other than a helicopter.

Rusty Panels

I know this spot, What a Richard Cranium!! The water to his left, where the lamp post is, with this amount of water, would probably be 15' deep AND he would have to drive around a locked gate to get down to the water!
Actually the left side of the crossing in the photo is salt water and the right side is fresh. It's at the Sydney end of the Royal National Park.