4WD boggins, rollovers, crashes, fires, creek crossings gone wrong and recoveries.

dno67

I’ve been thinking to use 8mm pop rivers to rivet steel plates to the roof and then rivet the rails to the plates. I own this thing which makes it quite easy https://sydneytools.com.au/product/...s-brushless-accubird-pro-rivet-tool-combo-kit.

With that said I have a 42inch stedi light bar, 20 litre Jerry can and roof pod with recovery straps as the only stuff I carry up there so I’m hopeful.
Yer, most of the roof is just rubbish thin tin.
Any factory mounting points will have a secondary plate most likely with a bit of shape designed in it, to add strength while spreading the load over an area.
Your idea, would certainly be better than a few nutserts through the roof skin.

MrPoopypants

I’ve been thinking to use 8mm pop rivers to rivet steel plates to the roof and then rivet the rails to the plates. I own this thing which makes it quite easy https://sydneytools.com.au/product/...s-brushless-accubird-pro-rivet-tool-combo-kit.

With that said I have a 42inch stedi light bar, 20 litre Jerry can and roof pod with recovery straps as the only stuff I carry up there so I’m hopeful.

Safer driving behind you blokes than in front! Don't stand on the brakes! :D (Mind you, I'm not going to check how Ford mounted mine!)
PP

cam04

Here’s mine from yesterday, totally my own doing. I was driving back across Fraser on the woralie rd, towing the camper. These days there is often 2 parallel tracks and without exception they are chewed out on the ‘up’ side of the hill and only rutted on the downside so of course I cross over where possible to make it easier on the trailer. I paid the tax yesterday. Heading up, a vehicle appeared just in the wrong spot. I had a little momentum and a choice to make so I hooked left to get back onto the left track. The drop was a little steeper than it looked and I went close-ish to a roll over, not helped by the fact I blew both left hand side tyres off the bead(18 psi). Still pointing uphill and still not stuck I left foot braked (no lockers) and drove it to the top of the hill, eating the flat tyres as I went. It was stinking hot and the sand was dry yesterday and the left side was very low and I had one spare and a perfect hilift jack where we all have them - back home in the friggin shed haha. My mate was following thankfully so he was a great help. I limped over to a dodgy looking little tree and the rear tyre twisted sideways and caught in the leaf spring as I did. I rigged up a stiff leg Derrick with the fork of the tree and another tree behind with the extension strap and winched the front end straight off the ground and up the tree. With some stuffing around we got the bead to reseat using the compressor - great, now I have enough spares for the number of flats I have. The hardest part of the job was finding out the hard way that ford have stupid plastic caps over their wheel nuts and the provided wrench doesnt go over them properly. This could derail any trip. We had an axe and a socket set however. We got enough height out of the rear end to lower the spare and get it out, then used the car jack on a max track jacking the shock mount ( I know), the camper jockey wheel and the camper front stays to lift the rear. Unbelievably as it lifted, they tyre came back to life and started straightening itself. Some shovel work got it clear enough and we even got the bead to reseat. Put the spare away, lower the car, clean up tools..... rear tyre is flat again. Pumped it right up to 60 this time, and it looked ok so we started driving. It held thankfully. So many things went right, we were very lucky and got out of there. The car will go in to get all the sand retrieved from inside they tyres this week and som new wheel nuts and I suppose I’ll buy a hilift jack mount. Happy trails.

Attachments

• CDC719DC-4284-4257-B055-53A0719AAEA1.jpeg
    CDC719DC-4284-4257-B055-53A0719AAEA1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 327
  • A6B99AE0-1F38-4B1B-A9D1-99B042822214.jpeg
    A6B99AE0-1F38-4B1B-A9D1-99B042822214.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 328
  • C9C1FD11-9580-4437-8407-7A1CCB5D067A.jpeg
    C9C1FD11-9580-4437-8407-7A1CCB5D067A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:

typhoeus

Did you cop that panel damage in the pic this trip too? You got lucky this time. Goes to show, it only takes a moments indecision or a wrong decision to get into trouble.

a1bert

Evidently Ranger wheel nuts are only good for 4-6 uses, after that you have to replace them, sure it says so in the book. Rattle guns are their arch enemy

cam04

Evidently Ranger wheel nuts are only good for 4-6 uses, after that you have to replace them, sure it says so in the book. Rattle guns are their arch enemy
Driving 19mm sockets onto them with the back of an axe doesn’t help them too much either :D. I’ve always been a function over form type of bloke so I’d happily take the bloke out who decided press on plastic covers on the drive surface of a wheel lug was a good idea, and slap some sense into him.

cam04

Did you cop that panel damage in the pic this trip too? You got lucky this time. Goes to show, it only takes a moments indecision or a wrong decision to get into trouble.
No, panel damage was courtesy of a kind gent who couldn’t work out how to use a give way sign.

discomatt

The same guy who did the Ranger wheel nuts must have done his time at LR, they have equally shit wheel nuts that are destroyed by rattle guns due to a thin metal case over the nut, totally crap idea

cam04

The same guy who did the Ranger wheel nuts must have done his time at LR, they have equally shit wheel nuts that are destroyed by rattle guns due to a thin metal case over the nut, totally crap idea
People need to do the simple things well. There are non negotiable items in any design, I see it all the time in buildings, kids making departures from solid design and then simple things don’t work. Drives me nuts, and of course an older guy with experience is the last person they want to listen to haha.

typhoeus

People need to do the simple things well. There are non negotiable items in any design, I see it all the time in buildings, kids making departures from solid design and then simple things don’t work. Drives me nuts, and of course an older guy with experience is the last person they want to listen to haha.
Yeah got same problem with the kids. They wont take advice on how to deal with issues with the grandkids.i said " you didnt turn out bad? Did you?" . . . Her response was the old fashioned ways of raising kids is no good. There they are googling how to do this & why they do that. So i said " hope you get it all worked out before you get old and stupid like us"

dno67

Yeah got same problem with the kids. They wont take advice on how to deal with issues with the grandkids.i said " you didnt turn out bad? Did you?" . . . Her response was the old fashioned ways of raising kids is no good. There they are googling how to do this & why they do that. So i said " hope you get it all worked out before you get old and stupid like us"
Would be funny, if it wasn't so sad.
See it time after time.

Spooner

Driving 19mm sockets onto them with the back of an axe doesn’t help them too much either :D. I’ve always been a function over form type of bloke so I’d happily take the bloke out who decided press on plastic covers on the drive surface of a wheel lug was a good idea, and slap some sense into him.
I brought this same subject up a few years ago and obviously nobody listened lol :)

Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel, for 5 minutes of fame.

Truest words ever spoken in a chat forum!

I sit in work meetings thinking "yeah, we already tried that in 19XX". Universities are the champions of re-inventing the wheel in the most complex ways imaginable. Simple nearly always wins the day.

SirDrinksalott

This was my Delica a few years ago, wasnt in 4wd when it rolled and the corner wasnt too sharp, although I didnt think it, I was obviously going too fast.

We all walked away but one thing sticks in my mind, a large coleman water carrier (full) had bounced from the back to the front missing my dog, 2 kids and the wife and I, secure all heavy loads, it could have been the water that killed someone.

IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG