42 inch light bar with elevated spread?

MUXer

Hi all,

I have an ISUZU MUX with a rhino rack pioneer tray on top. I am looking to mount roughly a 42 inch size light bar just under the tray but I am worried about bonnet glare. Originally I was looking at the Stedi ST4K double row (https://www.stedi.com.au/st4k-42-in...MIlPmUsqSL7wIVm4NLBR3CbwCKEAQYAiABEgLbGvD_BwE), but after asking a few people who have it, they claim the thickness of the bar means that even when the angle is adjusted to the highest position, there is still a fair amount of bonnet glare. Perhaps that bar is a little overkill and I need to look at something more slim line.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a quality light bar that has a spread which is not too low down? My hope is that the elevated spread will help clear the bonnet and not produce glare. I have heard of Lazer Lamps Linear-42 being one, but the price point is too high for me. Hoping for other alternatives.

boobook

I have the Stedi 2K, it has a wide light that cuts off sharply. I specifically got it because I hate the way most light bars trow too much light too close.

The leds face backwards and are projected forwards. Sunyee do a similar one as do Narva. But I think the Stedi is best. Though I have never seen a sunyee and their products are usually good.

This pic ( from Sunyee) show why they throw less stray light.

1614494030024.png

CaptainBanana

I have the 42 inch st4k, zero bonnet glare, only the back of the snorkel lights up.

It's all install position dependant, it won't help much asking here unless someone has your exact setup.

smitty_r51

Yeah, i have a 36" stedi on the pathfinder, It is set back though so it is a good 15cm from the top of the window. means that the light doesn't shine on the bonnet or the bullbar so i get no reflection.

in fact when it is on the only noticeable reflection is off the UHF and the snorkel

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
If you can just mount the light bar back far enough so it doesn't shine down the windscreen.
This will show up anything (especially dust) in a big bad way.

Too far back / low and you create shadows out front.

I had a 42" curved stedi mounted on my Ranger on a cabin roof bar, worked great, but I had to paint my bonnet with matt clear to stop some glare from the light, but mostly glare from signs, trees, etc etc.
Doing this really solves the problem dead.

An interesting idea might be to do the matt black wrap or similar as suggested in that thread.
Most handy persons could handle that to a reasonable result, or get a wrap place to do it.

callmejoe

I have that Stedi 42 barlight on roof, another stedi 42 barlight bigger and brighter (not sure on actually 1 but was only release 6mths ago) on the bull bar and then another set of pro stedi either side of the bullbar.

The roof mounted 1 in my opinion would be the last place to put 1.
As its bright and your looking into it instead of over it (if that makes sense) it makes what seems like a very light hasse, and absolutely useless in any dust smoke, rain and wet conditions. When using the 2 on the bullbar i get a good clean filtration of light, add the roof mount and it does get brighter but I lose the crispness.

I know I wouldn't do it again. hope that helps.

Joe

CaptainBanana

I have that Stedi 42 barlight on roof, another stedi 42 barlight bigger and brighter (not sure on actually 1 but was only release 6mths ago) on the bull bar and then another set of pro stedi either side of the bullbar.

The roof mounted 1 in my opinion would be the last place to put 1.
As its bright and your looking into it instead of over it (if that makes sense) it makes what seems like a very light hasse, and absolutely useless in any dust smoke, rain and wet conditions. When using the 2 on the bullbar i get a good clean filtration of light, add the roof mount and it does get brighter but I lose the crispness.

I know I wouldn't do it again. hope that helps.

Joe

I also have them up the top and on the bullbar and you're right the bullbar ones better in rain and dust but the roof light has better projection and spread over all so I wouldn't agree completely with you on that.

Albynsw

My son had to remove his roof mounted light bar to pass rego . Even though it was disconnected they still wouldn’t pass it and had to physically remove it
The mechanic said that the RTA inspectors have been giving them a hard time over them

CaptainBanana

My son had to remove his roof mounted light bar to pass rego . Even though it was disconnected they still wouldn’t pass it and had to physically remove it
The mechanic said that the RTA inspectors have been giving them a hard time over them

I think that's a New South Wales thing because down here strictly speaking they are legal if mounted according to a few regulations regarding position

Aaron Schubert

They are legal on the roof in WA too. I like it mounted up high; for most of the driving its great as you get more spread, and it allows you to run a large size light bar as a pose to trying to jam a small one in the bull bar.

They are annoying in the rain or dust though

Aaron

Grippy

Agree with above, had 1 on the roof of my last rig, good spread but bloody useless in any dust, smoke, rain. It was a nightmare in the bush at highway speeds with the bugs, it was like driving at warp speed

Bru9

There are different light setups for different driving, so without specifying what you are after and where you are going it's rather pointless to just be told, mate my lightbar worked great.
The only LB I'd ever put on the roof would be small ones for hard offroading where you need light around your sides. Lbs on roof are imso for show, wank factor etc. Look at me, I did what everyone else did...
From what I can gather stedi 2K is just another run of the mill led that punches a wide beam for high speed mostly straight driving with that wide beam hitting the curbs. Seems half decent for a single alloy nudge bar only setup.

Stedi site says:Significantly minimizes adverse reflection from road signs
Lol marketing.... the beam shot sure hints at something else. Plus cool white just makes it all worse.
With a bit of DIY any LB on the front bar area can be made to give alot of spread, like near 180degrees. There is straight roads, heavy cornering, dense offroading, fog, constant oncoming traffic (ie stuck with ya low beams).

RBJET

There are different light setups for different driving, so without specifying what you are after and where you are going it's rather pointless to just be told, mate my lightbar worked great.
The only LB I'd ever put on the roof would be small ones for hard offroading where you need light around your sides. Lbs on roof are imso for show, wank factor etc. Look at me, I did what everyone else did...
From what I can gather stedi 2K is just another run of the mill led that punches a wide beam for high speed mostly straight driving with that wide beam hitting the curbs. Seems half decent for a single alloy nudge bar only setup.

Stedi site says:Significantly minimizes adverse reflection from road signs
Lol marketing.... the beam shot sure hints at something else. Plus cool white just makes it all worse.
With a bit of DIY any LB on the front bar area can be made to give alot of spread, like near 180degrees. There is straight roads, heavy cornering, dense offroading, fog, constant oncoming traffic (ie stuck with ya low beams).
Have you ever sat behind a Stedi ST2K? Sounds like you should stick with your candles since you seem to know best.

RBJET

Haha I did notice that. It's still a useless opinion if you've never experienced the setup before.