Change background image

400RWKW XR6 Turbo Engine Conversion GU PATROL -Georgie's Twin Locked GU Patrol

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Barra GU, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Barra GU

Barra GU Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    So after I sold my most favourite 4wd (Bertha The Triton) to a 4x4 Earth Member, it had me in the dumps and lasted 6 months without another 4x4.

So after 6 long frustrating months I now have Porky! , My GU Patrol,
    Porky got its name fairly simply, because she's a pig of a rig to look at, her exterior and interior aren't what I would like to call Schmik and considering my triton was one of the most capable IFS rigs, hit some of the toughest tracks in Vic, I still liked to maintain her in Show condition.
    Unfortunately Porky doesn't fit in that category, She has all the Hardware of a decent 4wd but the previous owner didn't really care to much about how her body and interior looked so its now in my caring hands and trying to give her some TLC.

She will never be a real head turner but i can live with that. The sole purpose of this rig for me was to have a 4wd that will get me anywhere and thats just what she does.
    Porky is a 98/99 AUTO GU Patrol ST4500
    She has the following
    -Twin ARB Air Lockers
    -3 inch lift
    -35inch Tyres
    -Tjm Snorkel
    -High Mount competition Warn Winch (Love it)
    - Uhf
    -Arb Bullabr
    -Some ridiculous excuse for spot lights on the front (crap) think only one works too
    -long range tank
    -4:6 diff gears
    60 Litre Engel Legacy edition
    18 inch Husqvarna chainsaw
    She has other stuff too but just can't remember it all off the top of my head.

As said earlier, she may not look like a prised possession but have tested her out at Mount Dissa and Toolangi on a few corkers and she seems to tackle everything quite well.

I don't think I will be spending big on this one though as she is good enough to get me to where i want to go, and is not costing me a cent to keep so she can sit in the garage waiting for that next trip out as she is my "Adventure' vehicle.

The only things i look forwards to doing to her soon is
    luggage barrier
    draws
    drop down fridge slide
    maybe proper lights as i got a few light bars sitting around
    and when the engine decides to give way maybe an ls conversion.

Anyway when i have time i will posts photos up .

Until then , I am just glad to be back!

billolga, Albynsw, Bomber2012 and 2 others like this.
  2. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Nice one mate, shame I never got to meet Bertha but looking forward to meeting Porky in a few weeks:D
    Will be a cracker of a day;)

3. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Sweet looking GU mate!

Aaron

Barra GU likes this.
  4. Barra GU

So just a bit of an update on the rig.
    No real major upgrades but been tinkering in the garage over the last week doing a couple little things here amd there.

First i started with getting round to sanding back the axles, degreasing them best as i can and gave them 2 coats of a matte black finish.
    My paint works not going to win any awards but it does give the rig a bit more of a cleaner look.
    I then also sprayed the inside of the archers amd underguards as well as the tow bar so it all looks better than what it was before.

coolumbla likes this.
  5. krazed

krazed Active Member

Gday Georgie long time no see . I am doing the same ! broke me front diff in the triton for a second time . This time it was worse though (both cv's ,diff actuator , inner shaft , companion shaft , diff housing and some damage to the locker :eek: . Just waiting to get christmas over and the kids back to school and i'll be looking for a GQ or GU . keeping the triton but retiring her to beach and camping duties . Look forward to seeing your new build progress :cool:

Barra GU likes this.
  6. Barra GU

Dayumm bloke, not good. How on 4x4earth did you do that???
    Yeah as much as i love having this gu i still miss the triton.
    Dont really get much of a chance to head out in it these days as the mrs is 40 weeks pregnant and omce the bubs born i wont be going anywhere for a while.
    The gu justsits there collectimg dust

krazed likes this.
  7. krazed

krazed Active Member

yeah pretty easily in the end :( . I think i just expect too much out of it cause i've taken it too many places it should never have gone . Sustained tuff tracks over the years may have taken its toll . Just crept in to some wombat holes (driven them a thousand times) and bang . Thought it was just the inner shaft again but turns out the alloy selector fork broke on the inside so i was stuck in 4hi . Drove home about an hour in 4hi and obviously the shit floating around in there was no good . Mech reckons the cv's (still bring genuine) would have been a contributing factor as they are old and bindy (which they are still got them with all my other parts) + my carry over points from the last debacle haha . Had to swap in a diff from a wreck so will repair the locker and sell it off at some stage . cant wait to get a toy as the boss has banned me from bush driving in the triton :D.

Congrats on the Bub hope all goes well with the delivery! . Dont mind getting them out and about we had ours out camping at 6 months and 4wd'n at 3 months haha

8. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Nice landcruiser in the background mate

Nice patrol too

Barra GU likes this.
  9. Barra GU

Yes it sure is , its one of my best mates rig. Thing is off its head and been round oz twice

10. Barra GU

Been a while since ive updated this thread but given the new thread title i thought i would shed some light.

After toying with the idea of slapping an ls1 in the rig i finally opted for a more new wave approach.
    Enter the 10/06 build date BF XR6 TURBO MKII ENGINE CONVERSION.
    Got the engine along with thermo's ecu ac starter cooler ecu loom etc and am now waiting on bell housing to arive from dellow in nsw.
    Killer kustoms will be making my custom loom but they said they need me to send the existing loom to them to amalgamate the two together but have hit a bit of a hiccup with that as i plan on having the vehicle with as little down time as possible and still expect to be driving it whilst accumulating parts.
    My biggest hurdle at the moment is working out a way to run the original 4.5 gu auto tranny with the new engine.
    I dont want to run an auto tranny that you have to change gears and want to just slap it in drive and take off.
    Waiting on parts is more painfull than waiting for paint to dry.
    But as i go i will keep you all posted

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  11. Barra GU

The donor vehicle.
    Beauty was i got it all from a fully functioning stock xr6 turbo which i got to compression test inspect and test drive.
    He is now putting an atomik motor in it so it suits the both of us

Attached Files:

12. Barra GU

13. Barra GU

14. Barra GU

15. Barra GU

16. Barra GU

17. Barra GU

18. Barra GU

Engine etc is now tucked away waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive.
    Then its onto the 4.5 auto dilemma and later will also look at even rebuilding it and strengthen it.
    Will keep you all posted!

19. RBJET

RBJET Active Member

This thing will be nuts when it's done. How much power are you planning on pushing?
    Good luck with it all!

20. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see the progress on this one, something different!!
    Just wondering how it will pan out though, a engine that is high revving and producing all its grunt at the top of its rev range and a turbo that doesn't really kick in until its well spooled in a vehicle that needs low down torque and grunt coupled to an auto that is also renowned to over run down hill and not ideally suited to a 4wd.
    Will be watching with keen eyes to see the mods and changes throughout the process, knowing the last build it will be nothing short of epic:)

Barra GU likes this.