4 tent options!!

fazz

Hey Guys!

New to the site, but just on this topic... I'm in the process of deciding what piece of camping kit to buy...

My considerations prior to reading this thread was the

- oversized tent cot (mixed reviews)

- Jet Tent Bunker (XL) http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Jet-Tent-Bunker-XL_2.html

- Big Boy Swag http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Big-Boy-Super-Swag.html

- Homestead swag http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Homestead-Single-Swag.html

After reading this and other reviews I'm leaning way from the oversized tent cot... but the other 3 are so different... And I personally don't know anyone that has used any of them for feedback other than another brand of Swag.. But I am looking for something off the ground. The only consideration I have is I'm 6ft1" and 130kg small

Just wanted to know any opinions?

2014 Land cruiser 79 duel cab

Swaggie

Have you thought about borrowing one to see if you actually like it, some people don't like them especially claustrophobic, low to the ground etc...

If I was to buy another one and I already have a Burke n Wills Double Redgum and a single generic I would go the Boab double next.... More room to change etc..

Boab-Territory-Dome-Swag-Double.aspx?pid=325902

325902-zoom.jpg

fazz

But for a single bloke to roll is it to big? I've heard the double swags are really hard to roll up by yourself? There only 30cm wider than the big boy I guess…

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
The boab is okay. I nearly wish i had the roo systems double. Pretty dam good value.
Anything by oztent is quality and you can't go wrong.
Let us know how you go.
uploadfromtaptalk1403158413916.jpg

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Big Boy swag is on ground model, but as far as I have seen in this type of swag, might as well be putting up a small bushwalking tent, they're hard to pack, and weight a ton.

The Jet Tent Bunker XL looks the go, would be much faster, and shed water / cope with some bad weather quite well.
I would use it under an awning in any case.

Campin40

Jet tent bunker. I love mine. I find it very comfortable. I throw a king single self inflating mat inside it and I'm snug as. Packs up quite small. Bout the size of a camp chair. I set mine up under the awning off the car for extra protection. Used it 4 times so far and no issues at all. I find it easy to get in and out of due to being up at the height of a regular Bed. Simple things like throwing on a pair of thongs in the morning to go have snakes hiss is easy because of the height. By the way, I'm a slender 120 kegs so that should give you something to go off.
By the way, mine is not the jet tent bunker but rather the oztrail version. They are identical in every way and come out of the same factory. Only diference being one has a canvas outer and one has a polyester outer.
The other difference is that the oztrail one is about half the price of the jet tent one.
There is one grip I have about these as apossed to a regular swag, and that the fact that you can't fold it up with the bedding (pillow,blanket etc) inside it.
Here's a link to an older thread about it.
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/tents/28722-oztrail-easy-fold-stretcher-tent.html
Good luck with your quest.

Last edited:

mac_man_luke

But for a single bloke to roll is it to big? I've heard the double swags are really hard to roll up by yourself? There only 30cm wider than the big boy I guess…

I like it, room to store stuff in it while still plenty of room to sleep.

I find it fairly easy to roll up.

Roo systems is a bit harder to roll up if you plan on putting it back in its bag - its almost impossible.

Quicker than a small tent if your moving about as you can leave your bedding in it and just roll up.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
We use the AOS King Single Swags - that is both my brother in law and myself, a mate bought a Roman Swag with PVC base and it was sh!t - every time it rained - I mean everytime, he got wet and had to pull it all apart to dry it out, eventually he threw it on the fire.

He now has an AOS King Single and has been dry all the way through, he is 6'7" and 125Kg and he reckons it is very comfortable and warm.

I guess the downside to having a larger than required swag is that it doesn't retain the heat in a cold environment. The AOS has plenty of zips so if you get too hot you can open up and cool down with the comfort of knowing the biteies can't get you through the midge proof mesh.

They are expensive, aboiut $500.00, but what cost is a good nights sleep?

Had mine for 5 years now and it is still as good as new.

cheers

Swaggie

Iv got a double boab swag and its great, just wish it had a pvc bucket floor for when its wet.

Hi Luke

Mate although my Burke n Wills has a PVC floor, I always put down a tarp anyway.(rocks, sticks, glass) that maybe hidden in grass etc, Usually folded in half so if it rains I put the other half across the swag to give it a break from the constant rain...

mac_man_luke

yea i normally run a shade cloth base, just it does wick a little bit of moisture through the base from run off.

Swaggie

yea i normally run a shade cloth base, just it does wick a little bit of moisture through the base from run off.

That's Interesting my Wild Country single swag has a canvas bottom, never has it let any water in and it's been in the rain a few times...

hiluxdriver

Jesus, swags are becoming more like tents with the amount of poles needed. I used to sleep on a stretcher in a tent but got sick of constantly rolling to the middle and not being able to stretch out. I still have the tent and stretcher but prefer my oztrail Mitchel swag. Plenty of room inside to sleep but I have to get changed standing up, so I just do it under my awning.
May need to ask yourself what your level of comfort is, how much you want to spend, and how much effort you want to put into setting up and packing up. What you get will be a compromise of all those things, and maybe more.

bigjew

A swag needs a tarp over it to be anywhere near useful.:rolleyes:
A decent canvas tent that you can stand up in is a much better option.;)
Swags suck. I've got 2 in the shed that the mice live in.:D

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Jesus, swags are becoming more like tents with the amount of poles needed. I used to sleep on a stretcher in a tent but got sick of constantly rolling to the middle and not being able to stretch out. I still have the tent and stretcher but prefer my oztrail Mitchel swag. Plenty of room inside to sleep but I have to get changed standing up, so I just do it under my awning.
May need to ask yourself what your level of comfort is, how much you want to spend, and how much effort you want to put into setting up and packing up. What you get will be a compromise of all those things, and maybe more.

My son has the Oztrail Mitchell and it has been fantastic, there are a number of E-Bay stores that sell them at reasonable prices I paid just under $200 from memory.

So far as changing goes, I open the drivers door and the passenger door, heck if someones that desperate then they can check out my butt, especially if it is a 25yo female swedish backpacker ;)

cheers

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
A swag needs a tarp over it to be anywhere near useful.:rolleyes:
A decent canvas tent that you can stand up in is a much better option.;)
Swags suck. I've got 2 in the shed that the mice live in.:D

Nope disagree there, a cheap swag yes but not a decent one, in fact I reckon I'd overheat if I was to put a tarp over the top.

Tents require a mattress, sleeping bag and the tent to all be set up and packed up whereas my swag just rolls up and I'm done.

cheers

jacnden

i hate swags, i am to old to sleep on the ground. no cover if it rains.
i need a mattress and a bed

Swaggie

Nope disagree there, a cheap swag yes but not a decent one, in fact I reckon I'd overheat if I was to put a tarp over the top.

Tents require a mattress, sleeping bag and the tent to all be set up and packed up whereas my swag just rolls up and I'm done.

cheers

Lol, knowing all the guys including myself that use swags on here I knew it wouldn't take long for a disagree post Lmao...

Anyway they just don't suit him and that's ok.... ;)

BUSHNUT

Over the years , I have tried most options . On the ground, is a barst@rd . Whether I am in a tent orl just in the open , I love my swag , by Outbackk Canvas in Carrum Downs it was what they called a 3/4 swag at the time , I guess it could classed as a king single , it's a metre wide anyway and a full canvas one .
Warmth is my main issue and it is great . Over the past flew years, I have resorted to having on a stretcher because getting off the ground is bugger , age has caught up with me . Darche make a metre wide stretcher now . Whether it is a roving weekend , week trip I still like an awning - once had ice on the swags in the Flinders, an awning keeps the cold night air from making it's full impact .