4 4x4s snowed in on Blue Rag Range West

Barra GU

Got a feeling theres going to be some more rescue missions coming up this season. I really enjoyed my last one..
My mates are heading out tomorrow purposely because they are expecting a big dump tomorrow.

We are obviously on stand by but given he is twin locked on fresh 37 inch treps he should be right

dno67

Anyone with enough interest can equipe them selves with the right gear and knowledge to visit areas saftey, that's not to say things can't or won't go wrong of cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterfermtech

My experience in 45+ years of driving to the snow and not just ski resorts is that the over confidence and invincibility when driving a 4wd means there are a lot more DHs in 4wds than 2wds. A 4wd doesn't help you stop when the roads are icy.
regards

Swaggie

I've been on Blue Rag a few times over the years, one afternoon it was like 3 seasons within half an hour.
A couple of years ago we were up near Bluff Hutt late in Feb and it snowed..I can also understand why people get caught out tho...

So be prepared for the worst while traveling in these areas..

hiluxdriver

My experience in 45+ years of driving to the snow and not just ski resorts is that the over confidence and invincibility when driving a 4wd means there are a lot more DHs in 4wds than 2wds. A 4wd doesn't help you stop when the roads are icy.
regards
Apparently twin locked and 37's you qualify.

Spooner

Ive been up there in winter a few times many years ago and it's scary with the weather at times.
Just inching along with zero visibility at times , not much fun if you slide over the edge , It's a long way down.
They went past the trig point and all the way down to the creek.
In pissing down rain all night and freezing temps they were always going to have a hard time getting out.
Its like a highway now compared to what it used to be , which is a good thing , but the weather will always catch you out up there , as it changes so quick.

Blue Rag 10.png

Blue Rag 11.png

Blue Rag 12.png

Blue Rag 13.png

Triton14

What does that have to do with it?
I have been out with some very good Asian and Indian 4wders, also some very bad ones but I have met more white Australian 4wders that think they are good but couldn't drive a wet finger up.....

Do you drive in the city??

I have nothing against any race but spend some time in the city of Sydney & things tend to form a pattern when driving on the roads!
Aussies maybe classed as hoons but at least we can reverse park :eek:

Staying on topic, while you may not be able to move as @peterfermtech mentioned being prepared is whats its about.
I think most of us that go for a few days carry enough food/water for a week or more?

typhoeus

From what ive read, the guys who were stuck there were prepared in that they had plenty of food, water, fuel and waRm clothes so its not really a drama. More like an adventure for them. As mentioned the weather can close in quickly, and if it does you stop and wait it out. All this publicity is a beat up really. It sells newspapers/ newsfeeds. Those guys could have waited it out but authorities have to consider liability, so must be seen to be doing something to save them.

Triton14

Thats good they were prepared but sometimes depending on location it could be a week or more for the road to be passable & your right the weather can change in the blink of an eye, I used to work in the Nsw ski fields for 14 years & have seen some oretty horrible conditions over that time.
I would still be carrying a PLB though just in case!

phs

From what ive read, the guys who were stuck there were prepared in that they had plenty of food, water, fuel and waRm clothes so its not really a drama. More like an adventure for them. As mentioned the weather can close in quickly, and if it does you stop and wait it out. All this publicity is a beat up really. It sells newspapers/ newsfeeds. Those guys could have waited it out but authorities have to consider liability, so must be seen to be doing something to save them.

Who alerted the authorities
Did they need rescuing ?

A friend was hiking in Tassi and got “ rescued “ after unpredicted snowfall they rolled up in a Helicopter, he explained that he was not fussed by the weather and had everything he needed to stay but they insisted, they had read a log he had put in a hut book a few days earlier.

Given there location ( blue rag ) you would think being prepared and with supplies it’s not high risk

Bomber2012

Who alerted the authorities
Did they need rescuing ?

A friend was hiking in Tassi and got “ rescued “ after unpredicted snowfall they rolled up in a Helicopter, he explained that he was not fussed by the weather and had everything he needed to stay but they insisted, they had read a log he had put in a hut book a few days earlier.

Given there location ( blue rag ) you would think being prepared and with supplies it’s not high risk
Good phone service on Blue Rag , I've called from there before .

MrPoopypants

There was also a "rescue" of a dad and kid at Millers Hut the other day. Caught out by the snow and no gear to get out.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...er-rookie-mistake-in-snow-conditions/11162726

There has been a fair bit of snow up high, might melt next week or it might not, would be a bit harrowing sitting with your kid wondering, I guess. I think with a bit of winching up the hill to Wellington you'd be right to drive out, though. Many years ago we got snowed in up there after a mate graded the track in with a dozer. Luckily he came and pulled us up the hill before he left but we managed to drive the rest without any problems.
PP

Actually, just noticed he did have a winch. Not much snow on the ground, too. Odd.

Bomber2012

There was also a "rescue" of a dad and kid at Millers Hut the other day. Caught out by the snow and no gear to get out.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...er-rookie-mistake-in-snow-conditions/11162726

There has been a fair bit of snow up high, might melt next week or it might not, would be a bit harrowing sitting with your kid wondering, I guess. I think with a bit of winching up the hill to Wellington you'd be right to drive out, though. Many years ago we got snowed in up there after a mate graded the track in with a dozer. Luckily he came and pulled us up the hill before he left but we managed to drive the rest without any problems.
PP

Actually, just noticed he did have a winch. Not much snow on the ground, too. Odd.
I read he didn't want to get stuck on the track with a 7 yr old kid and opted to stay at the hut