4.2 patrol

Beever

Hey people
Need some direction.
A friends diesel GQ has just kacked the motor. He’s tossing up which way to go, rebuild , or buy one already rebuilt , or a transplant ,or a new bus.
I heard from a few different people ,but wondering if it’s right.
Can you still buy the patrol 4.2 turbo diesel motors new.
Or is it just wishful thinking.
Would be good if someone knows.
Cheers and enjoy your weekend.

Rhett HS

I am not sure about that one. Sometimes such diesels are still used in forklifts or boats etc. It would cost more than thecar is worth though. I would see if there is a dedicated facebook forum for the TD42. There is one for the toyota six cylinder diesels, and they have a lot of knowledge.

Barra GU

Hey people
Need some direction.
A friends diesel GQ has just kacked the motor. He’s tossing up which way to go, rebuild , or buy one already rebuilt , or a transplant ,or a new bus.
I heard from a few different people ,but wondering if it’s right.
Can you still buy the patrol 4.2 turbo diesel motors new.
Or is it just wishful thinking.
Would be good if someone knows.
Cheers and enjoy your weekend.
You can still buy them... someone i know bought a crate motor recently for 13grand
It was a long motor

Batts88

Can't see any problem exchanging it for a reconditioned one from a reputable company especially if it's half the price or so of a new one.
At 13 grand that would be around twice the value of buying another 4WD couldn't justify the cost unless you have the money to burn.

Last edited:

Beever

You can still buy them... someone i know bought a crate motor recently for 13grand
It was a long motor
Thanks for reply , he ended up going 6.5 v8 from Brunswick diesel,not much room around it though. Not sure what I think of it. You don’t do conversions for penny’s.
I do like a big 6 cylinder, usually strong. His did 450,000 ks with a far bit of boost, even at 13 k if it’s new,for the long motor,he has the other bits. he knows what he has with the rest of the vehicle. The conversion will easy go 13k +++
How’s your bus going Georgie.

Rhett HS

I drove a 6.5 aussie suburban once. The nvh at startup was horrendous, shaking everything. It was nicely torquey so okay around town, but quickly became breathless as the revs rose, so overtaking grunt would be poor.

Beever

I drove a 6.5 aussie suburban once. The nvh at startup was horrendous, shaking everything. It was nicely torquey so okay around town, but quickly became breathless as the revs rose, so overtaking grunt would be poor.
Yeah, done a bit of reading on them,a lot say ,they like the v8 sound. I think I would have stuck with the 4.2. Hopefully l won’t have worry about which way to go for another 100,000 k’s or more.
Had a 350 chev in a 1982 shorty once, towed a van with it ,now that was a toy, it did like a drink though. But was a lot of fun.

Rhett HS

Big diesel sixes are generally smoother than diesel V8's, have better economy, have heaps of power potential, are easier to work on, retain factory installation, can be at a good technology point - not too much not too little.

Almost all trucks have inline sixes except the smallest, ranging in size from around 4.0L to around 16L and beyond.

dirvine

Rhett you obviously have not driven or been in a Range Rover V8 diesel. Gets almost the same economy as the V6 and thats pretty frugel!!

Rhett HS

Rhett you obviously have not driven or been in a Range Rover V8 diesel. Gets almost the same economy as the V6 and thats pretty frugel!!
Hey, thats an exception, and no i havent been in one, and expect it would be lovely.

I wasnt so much talking about newer engines in the passenger vehicle segment. You can get a secondhand RR V8 diesel for around $13k, but sorting the electronics for a conversion would not be easy.

Barra GU

Thanks for reply , he ended up going 6.5 v8 from Brunswick diesel,not much room around it though. Not sure what I think of it. You don’t do conversions for penny’s.
I do like a big 6 cylinder, usually strong. His did 450,000 ks with a far bit of boost, even at 13 k if it’s new,for the long motor,he has the other bits. he knows what he has with the rest of the vehicle. The conversion will easy go 13k +++
How’s your bus going Georgie.
Im loving the rig.
Any excuse to drive it these days as it sits in the garage on trickle charge all day.
Though when i drive it smiles from ear to ear ;)