4.2 gu Ute or 2014 hilux 3ltr

Kendiscoveries

Hi peeps
couple of questions my mate wants to buy a 4x4 Ute got 28k to Spend not a big mechanic head but got help on hand etc his tossing up
Get a 2 door. Space cab hilux under 80000kms or search for gu Ute under 250000kms that’s been looked after etc or buy one cheaper around 15k and have the cash to rebuild whole engine if need be thinking seen to find some gu,s . Under 28k in good nick but with those kms still bla bla .. or do I just tell him go buy ya hilux and go have reliable fun camping touring etc .. not the dude to go rock crawling etc or searching for insane power,s no P PLATERS just Vick high country stuff and rest of open road touring when need to be down track .. my bro says gu all day .. but 20 yrs old chassis etc etc is it guna be worth it down the track in another 20 years rust wise etc as apposed to later model and look after it.. I had 2011 hilux bfr from new and it didn’t miss a beat and did everything asked
Cheers

dno67

TD42 ute, tuff as nails and would last a lifetime if maintained. Will do anything well, honest easy to service, maintain and get parts anywhere in oz. In the latter years Toyota imo has updated and change to often especially in the hilux range. Yers there more refined and possibly more comfortable but also built a lot lighter.

dno67

Rust can be a problem even in a 10 year old vehicle, it comes down to
a careful purchase. Look for a good vehicle history, service records not only
tell you it was maintained but also where it was maintained. Eg: The area
it come from, if your unsure or want to be safe get a pre purchaser inspection by an expert. This should also cover physical and a writern detailed report.

80lover96gxl

Finding a good TD42 Ute with under 250k k's on it , well looked after could be the first battle imo.
Both utes have their pro's and con's. He needs to drive a few examples of each and see which feels more suited to his liking and then make a decision.

greysrigging

I'm a fan of the Nissan even though I own a Hilux.... for me it wouldn't be brand bias, simply the odometer kilometers.....

wedgetail

Out of those two a patrol. But why only those two - there are a lot of other good utes. Why not a 70 series? Or one of hilux’s many competitors?

Kendiscoveries

the cruisers are too dear and the kms arw high for same price and running gear nissen patrols are way stronger in my op.. other utes against Hilux.. ranger Ford build quality piss weak.. dmax nice engine but hilux but stronger build.. .. Yeh I'll take him.for test drive and see what he likes out both.. and he can decide on finding a half decent one or cheaper and just get a whole engine rebuild if goes the td42

wedgetail

Not sure all that adds up - GU 4.2 utes are very expensive for the km/age - easily up there with many cruisers. If you’re bashing cruisers for not being strong enough (which is false anyway) it doesn’t follow to then recommend a Hilux (light duty).

Patrols are great, and a tough Vehicle. But the only thing that’s stronger is the front diff (solid space and lock a cruiser front and it’ll take all the punishment you can throw at it with more ground clearance), everything else is weaker. Unless the cruiser has an r151 box, they’re prone to failure, but that’s only one model of Ute, the rest have the h150f (seeing as we’re talking GU I’m talking 79 series) - stronger than the patrol box. The cruiser has a stronger chassis (Nissan seemed to employ pre schoolers on the welders), Stronger suspension arms (that articulate in the chassis), bigger CVs, fully floating rear axle (scaled down truck axle as opposed to car axle), TD42s overheat at stock power levels, break the crank when you up it and have the most restrictive air box known to man, the interior is crappy and it has from slight to major steering wobble built in.

Kendiscoveries

I recommend then hilux to him for Off the shelf late model cumfy driving to work and touring and cheap on fuel.. never said they were stronger then cruiser or patrol.. they a diff breed ... the patrol is just cheaper if he wanted a solid axle no frills old school diesel truck ..and shit load of parts.. with all good service or rebuild prop they can be reliable too as same cruisers etc

oyamum

I currently own a gu wagon, swb Pajero and a 2014 hilux 4x4 extra cab I use as a work Ute.
I’m gonna upset a few people here but the hilux is weak compared to a patrol.
The hilux in my opinion is a good work Ute and that’s about it.

The patrol is a much more solid rig, better off road with more room due to its extra width and better tow capacity.
Everything feels much more heavy duty compared to the hilux.

Again I’m sure hilux owners won’t appreciate this but it’s just my opinion as I own both.

phs

I currently own a gu wagon, swb Pajero and a 2014 hilux 4x4 extra cab I use as a work Ute.
I’m gonna upset a few people here but the hilux is weak compared to a patrol.
The hilux in my opinion is a good work Ute and that’s about it.

The patrol is a much more solid rig, better off road with more room due to its extra width and better tow capacity.
Everything feels much more heavy duty compared to the hilux.

Again I’m sure hilux owners won’t appreciate this but it’s just my opinion as I own both.

Doubt you will upset anyone, the Hilux and patrol are not really comparable

Hilux is light duty ute available as a duel cab
V
Patrol is heavy duty single Ute

The patrol would be compared against a 79
The Hilux against a Navara

As for the OP

tuff call, the 4.2 is a great motor but does not have the longevity of something like a 1hz there drivetrains and chassis are solid but it’s got 3x the kms of the lux

If it was me choosing I’d go the patrol but would be making sure I waited to find the Right one which could take a while

Last edited:

unko84

the patrol come in a coil or leaf rear end, the coil you add $10G compared with a leaf. what about the CRD motor? cheaper, with cheaper moderate power if needed. tractor torque out of the 4.2 down low or normal car driving out of the 3l. both

Barra GU

From my perspective both are 2 different 4x4s...

I've had the brand new 4x4 ifs ute and spent a mozza on it. I loved it and it was all new looked great etc but still limited by ifs...

The old patrols i have to say now make me not miss the ifs ute i had.

Sure its older, more kilometres, and probably cos me 50k now but the thing goes anywhere and like dno and a few of the others have said go anywhere and parts are plenty...

I would try finding an gu td42 but make sure its coil rear not leaf

LCV8VICTORIA

Hi peeps
couple of questions my mate wants to buy a 4x4 Ute got 28k to Spend not a big mechanic head but got help on hand etc his tossing up
Get a 2 door. Space cab hilux under 80000kms or search for gu Ute under 250000kms that’s been looked after etc or buy one cheaper around 15k and have the cash to rebuild whole engine if need be thinking seen to find some gu,s . Under 28k in good nick but with those kms still bla bla .. or do I just tell him go buy ya hilux and go have reliable fun camping touring etc .. not the dude to go rock crawling etc or searching for insane power,s no P PLATERS just Vick high country stuff and rest of open road touring when need to be down track .. my bro says gu all day .. but 20 yrs old chassis etc etc is it guna be worth it down the track in another 20 years rust wise etc as apposed to later model and look after it.. I had 2011 hilux bfr from new and it didn’t miss a beat and did everything asked
Cheers

etc .. not the dude to go rock crawling etc or searching for insane power

This is how it’s starts go the GU then his set up for rock crawling and insane LS power lol