4.2 GQ petrol/gas Auto box issue

Panman55

Help please. When I first start my patrol from cold i have to wait before reverse engages. Forward drive engages every time, once warmed up reverse works fine. I don't have much knowledge on auto's. does anyone know of a link that will explain what happens inside the box once I select reverse please. ?
The mileage is 381Ks, Any advice would be very much appreciated.

abw

I'm not an expert, but first thing would be to change your transmission oil. Use genuine nissan stuff and do a full flush. bound to have a "how-to do a full flush" on one of the Patrol sites (eg patrol4x4.com).

Panman55

I should have said when this problem first started I had it drained and flushed new filter, but made no difference.

TroopiePete

Interested to know if you have fixed the problem?
I had a similar issue with my Prado many years back, mentioned it to a mobile mechanic and he asked me if I had added anything to the oil, I had not.. He then suggested an additive, can't think of the name but it was red and quite thick.. apparently many other Autos actually require this to work correctly so I purchased some and added it on the next Auto Oil change and the problem vanished..