3L vs 5L (non turbo) vs 5L (turbo)

Bean

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum. I'm looking at what ute i'm going to buy as my first car, i've been a fan of hiluxes my whole life and i'm wanting to do most of the engine work/mods myself and i'm wondering: Which of these engines is easiest to work on, Which is the most reliable/least issues and which is the best mix of power to reliability.

Cheers Jasper

Poppa

You are talking Hiluxes so I understand where the 3 litre engine comes from but where the hell does the 5 litre turbo and 5 litre non-turbo come from in this discussion.

Just asking mate, someone here might read something in your post that I'm missing.

Bean

You are talking Hiluxes so I understand where the 3 litre engine comes from but where the hell does the 5 litre turbo and 5 litre non-turbo come from in this discussion.

Just asking mate, someone here might read something in your post that I'm missing.
3L = 2.8l (1990 to 2000) 5L = 3.0l (2000 to 04)

Neddysmith

the 3l and 5l engines are very similar, both seem pretty bullet proof and easy to work on, N/A which is what i had for 14yrs was great and no issues although slow, ofroad fantastic wit the gearing, a turbo will still be slow, but will make it more drivable, so when hitting an incline you wont have to gear down as much and makes towing better as well, but once again, they arent a speed machine.

Poppa

Put my foot in it there......sometimes better to keep one's trap shut for danger of displaying ignorance.