3l pootrol

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Pre 2003 are the 3.0L motors that had issues. Getting to 200,000KM + shows the owner(s) looked after it and/or never did any offroad work. It is worth a look and you have the right to get the service history checked as long as you don't ask personal information about the owner. I rang the company that had the services done at and confirmed what was done on the vehicle before I purchased.

logitech

Thanks Guys..

I plan on paying nissan to check the car out as a pre purchase. UIt was an outback car and has red sand enery where in it even after a detail.

Plus its the lowest k's and latest model i have seen so far, and cheapest which makes me extra weary. The test drive was great, but it had huge crunch issues into 4th gear that they where going to test out. If you did not do a normal change but a slow change it worked fine. I plan on grabbing it again tomorrow and doing some off road test driving.

It does have a turbo timer which i think is a good thing.

Jarh73

Just a note on the 2.8.

They are very much underated!

They do lack torque down low no question but once you get past that and drive to suit they are a fantastic little engine.

And if soothness and quietness is what you are after you can't beat them!

Oh so smooth and quiet!

Check out GU/GR Nissan Patrol - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

Before you compleltley write off a 2.8.

Only real problem with 2.8 is they are now getting old and not many low km ones left so you just never know how well it was looked after.

Cheers

JUstin

logitech

yeah i have test driven a few 2.8's. I love them but the chance to pay less rego and also get a newer package in a 2000 model is good. The other thing is all the 2.8's i have seen are over 250k +

I have one i like, but the guy keeps changing the price, the engine is not original and when i test drove it, the turbo may have been leaking oil.

But it did have a bull bar and snokel

Jarh73

Its very difficult decision getting an early 3L motor.

There are numerous stories of rebuilt 3L blowign up as well.

I often wonder if the 4.5 Petrol on gas is a better propostion.

Cheers

Justin

Grumpy

One thing is for sure, u are the only one who has to be happy with it as it's your cash you are using, Personally I would be getting someone like RACQ to check it out or a good independent mechanic that isn't biased.

Jarh73

I just looked at the add for the Patrol.

My only worry would be the number of km.

The Patrol 3L is really not a high km motor.

Say its good for 300,000km before needing major work and you do 20,000km a year then thats really only 4 years life left in it engine wise.

I'd have a good look around the Patrol 4x4 forum and see how many km people are getting out of their 3L motors and then you might get some idea how many km are left in the one you are looking at.

Cheers

Justin

Jarh73

I think that is worth a look. They give stuff all for them as a trade in.

I'm sure you could get it cheaper but you need to make sure it is thoroughly checked out.

If a 2.8 has been well looked after and not overheated it will give you plenty of life.

Personally thats too many km's for me but I'm really fussy :)

But i think the price is ok for those km, i looked at heaps of 2.8's before i bought mine so "i think" i have a good feel for their value. I pretty much settled on a 2.8 and waited for the right one to come along.

Cheers

Justin