300 , what do people think

boobook

My best mate and his brother both have 300 series Saharas, got them early on when they were released after placing order as soon as they were announced.

The best mate's starting getting engine lights and return to dealer messages at about 16k km, still continuing regularly now at 21k km. Runs rough as and gets a shake through the car, also feels down on power. His brother thought he was playing it up until his started doing the same at similar km, both are pissed off at spending that cash and having to take them back to the dealer regularly and Toyota not being able to resolve the issue.

Both have bought numerous vehicles (had 2 200 Saharas each over the years before the 300s) from the same Melbourne Toyota dealer and the head mechanic is now being honest with them and has said it's another DPF issue that Toyota are scrambling to try and resolve. Mechanic fears it may end up another class action like the 2.8s..

Safe to say both are not happy and my best mate has told the dealer as soon as he can get a petrol Tundra in that he'll buy one. Be interesting to see how the issue develops!

Do you have any update on this @fishobob ?

I can't find any other reference to DPF problems on the 300, strange if your mate and his brother have exactly the same issue at 20kms.

Last edited:

boobook

There was a Defender that broke an intercooler when it hit a fox. @shanegtr made a comment that the 300 was the same with front mounted intercoolers.

Unfortunately, that is too true. Apparently, this small incident put a crack in the LHS intercooler. THAT is a massive problem IMHO and that puddle crossing could happen 10 times in 1 trip.

The full story is on IH8MUD. The owner is hitting up Toyota for a warranty replacement.

Last edited:

discomatt

If that broke anything with a bar to me that is a massive issue, yep he hit that hole a bit hard but certainly not hard enough to leave the car broken.
Leave that aside, service every 5000 km in harsh conditions, what a joke.
According to Toyota , Used in the city, stop start, used in the country high speed , used as a 4wd , used as a tow vehicle, all classed as harsh conditions. So if you’re use your 300 it should be serviced every 5000km to maintain it to warranty requirements
I used my car in harsher conditions and gave it a fair bit more than that video showed and no issues over the long weekend in Big Desert and Border track and that’s the worlds worst manufacturer compared to the world’s best, not a lot in it IMO

cam04

You can see and hear it bottom out the front left. The chances of him getting warranty would be similar to the chances of me taking out the lotto tomorrow night - but I wish us both well. Seriously though, fools and their money…. That was P plate level behaviour.

boobook

He definitely was pushing it ( for the camera?) , I'm going to bet he bent the front chassis arm or bull bar mounts too. That was quite a cluck on solid dirt, but the Intercooler should not be a casualty. It's in the wrong spot.

boobook

According to Toyota , Used in the city, stop start, used in the country high speed , used as a 4wd , used as a tow vehicle, all classed as harsh conditions. So if you’re use your 300 it should be serviced every 5000km to maintain it to warranty requirements

According to John Cadogan, not Toyota I think.

discomatt

Sorry I wasn't aware that you had read the manual on the definitions of harsh driving like the video says to.
And what do you think will be in the manual? Same as every other owners manual when it come to harsh conditions , that’s a given

fishobob

Do you have any update on this @fishobob ?

I can't find any other reference to DPF problems on the 300, strange if your mate and his brother have exactly the same issue at 20kms.

Still no fix on either apparently. Waiting for replacement parts and software updates I think according to my mate. Head mechanic says more of them with the same issue now too..

boobook

Now that the 300 has been out for over 2 years. are people really experiencing Hot V failures and excessive oil use after a year or so?

What about the DPF issues reported on Facebook? Is that common or still happening?

Albynsw

My mate has one on order and I asked him what dramas they are having and this is the reply

-Drink oil for the first 10-15k

-Gx model has a brake squeal. Apparently Toyota doing a fix.

-Dpf injector soots up

-Bonnet vibrations

No mention from anyone to date about hot V’s

shanegtr

-Drink oil for the first 10-15k
From what I have read it is likely that the factory oil fill is a 0W/20. I've heard that many other vehicles that also use low viscosity oils also go through oil so not really a specific 300 issue there

Albynsw

My dentist has a 300 Sahara which my dental bills help keep on the road
He had an issue with a blocked injector at 20k. Apparently it is a known issue but they don’t know why it happens
Any else heard about it?