300 , what do people think

RBJET

I think you tempt fate with any manufacturer these days.
Some get a Lemon, some get a car that will do 500k km.

I bought a Prado for reliability, the engine shit itself at 200k km.
Everyone told me not to buy a Ranger/BT50. I did anyway. It's still going at 270k km. (Although I am starting to get nervous).

Buy a car with warranty if you're worried. Or bight the bullet and take a risk.

boobook

Wow, he puts his hand right over the exhaust and the turbos, and they are hot. What a shock. What is he expecting, arctic conditions?

I think not. Here is a tip BTW. If using that Twitter guy's posts as a reference, perhaps look at his other posts and his handle "real estate agent and shit stirrer" LOL.

I have no idea if the 300 is a good 4wd or not, but perhaps it is worth looking at something more credible as a review than some guy on Twitter if seriously considering one.

It does raise the point though, have the 300s had any major issues? It has been shipping for about 15 months. and there are over about 15,000 on the road, and lots of them towing big vans. Are the hot v's failing? The only credible issues I have read are the knocking noise in the early ones steering and some kind of rear door closing issue.

TBH I think the Grenadier is a better proposition on paper for me. If it proves its self over the next year or so.

Last edited:

Lost1?

The turbo got hot? Hmmm, he should lean on the drivers front guard after I have driven my ute at 110k for 5 hours. Having said that I am sceptical of buying any new release within the first two years of its life cycle. Look around. There are a few examples why, not limited to one marque.

cam04

Wow, he puts his hand right over the exhaust and the turbos, and they are hot. What a shock. What is he expecting, arctic conditions?

I think not. Here is a tip BTW. If using that Twitter guy's posts as a reference, perhaps look at his other posts and his handle "real estate agent and shit stirrer" LOL.

I have no idea if the 300 is a good 4wd or not, but perhaps it is worth looking at something more credible as a review than some guy on Twitter if seriously considering one.

It does raise the point though, have the 300s had any major issues? It has been shipping for about 15 months. and there are over about 15,000 on the road, and lots of them towing big vans. Are the hot v's failing? The only credible issues I have read are the knocking noise in the early ones steering and some kind of rear door closing issue.

TBH I think the Grenadier is a better proposition on paper for me. If it proves its self over the next year or so.
Grenadier diesel isn't looking good for 6ft plus humans - the DPF is in the tunnel and the brace pedal is in entirely the wrong spot. Drivers are reporting unhappy left legs uniformly. Got to get the simple things right first, then build the car around it.

John U

Seems the issue he has is paying $150-160k. It's a lot of dough. No one made him do it though.

GLee

I just cancelled 3wks ago my LC300 GXL (with towbar) order that I placed in late August 2022. I ordered just in case I did not like the Troopy.
You could have taken my spot as order was planned for Aug 2023 delivery…too late now.
I did test drive one and the vehicle is wide. The Troopy is very narrow by comparison, which makes the Troopy daily driving so much easier.

GLee

Can you imagine?

After 6 days of ownership -back to the service department for a warranty claim.

"I've had this bloody thing for nearly a week now, and the engine fault indicator hasn't come on once. The light has to be faulty."

:D
Only one thing you can do…sell it.
This will be bad for you forever! It will flick on your brain…flick…flick…flick

discomatt

Big difference between a guard getting hot due to exhaust and turbo heat to the centre of the engine and the longevity of all the plastics , sensors and wiring that would also be there.
I asked a simple question about a possible major issue over an extended period, I had hoped for some kind of intellectual discussion but I possibly was expecting to much.
personally I would think that if after an hour of being parked up that there is still that much retained heat it will almost certainly be a issue when the km start to clock up and it starts to get old.
I guess the Toyota fan club can’t possibly process the concept that one of Toyota’s so called best cars are not quite up to scratch
I will put it in the wait and see basket like the Defender, Ranger and Ineos
Yes the next car will be brand new but warranty is useless once it runs out in 5-7 years and the car Is literally falling to bits around you

Lost1?

There are examples of V8 or V6 single turbo diesels that have the turbo fitted at the back of the V, close to the intake manifold. Yet we don't hear people reporting consistent sensor failures. Like I said, give it two years before committing to a new model run. By that time any issues should have reached the public domain. Bit like crank failures on certain V6 motors or dpf issues on certain 4cyl and V8 diesels that are now rectified.

hulsty

I asked a simple question about a possible major issue over an extended period, I had hoped for some kind of intellectual discussion but I possibly was expecting to much.
personally I would think that if after an hour of being parked up that there is still that much retained heat it will almost certainly be a issue when the km start to clock up and it starts to get old.
Only engine I have experience with that suffers these heat related issues is the Barra, coils last 100k, coil plugs and harness becomes brittle due to all the retained heat in the head and with the cover on.

discomatt

There are examples of V8 or V6 single turbo diesels that have the turbo fitted at the back of the V, close to the intake manifold. Yet we don't hear people reporting consistent sensor failures. Like I said, give it two years before committing to a new model run. By that time any issues should have reached the public domain. Bit like crank failures on certain V6 motors or dpf issues on certain 4cyl and V8 diesels that are now rectified.
Maybe we don’t hear of people reporting failures due to the fact they are mainly used in high performance luxury cars in Europe in with petrol V8’s
Not in high mileage cars used in extreme heat towing a caravan or camper trailer or fully loaded with a GVM upgrade being pushed through desert

Last edited:

hiluxxury

The BMW N63 V8 has been around since 2008 and does have a few problems that could be related to the hot V setup. But these could be just BMW problems as well. I dont know if BMW did anything to address these as I play in that space anymore.

CTL

Search John Cadogan’s youtube video on the subject. He was not complimentary.