30 second wing awning

Chatty

Yeah. I can't understand why it needs a pole to essentially hold it up. Its the guy rope that's keeping the thing stable? Maybe there really can be THAT much down pressure.
I think relying on down pressure on a angled awning is asking for disaster. I know with the caravan awning, I can have that angled down at about 30+ degrees and the wind will still get under it and try to lift it.

Good luck with the 30 second awning.

konazz

Thats what I meant! I can understand the need to tether DOWN wards as a gust can get under the awning and flip - hence the need for a guy rope to either a peg, or something solid like your own rim or a mates car as a tie-down.

But I can't understand why the pole is needed in the corner, unless they're worried about wind coming over the top of the awning and pushing it down? granted, if there's rain about, you'd want the pole to make sure no additional weight of wet canvas is being held up by the bracket.

Chatty

Thats what I meant! I can understand the need to tether DOWN wards as a gust can get under the awning and flip - hence the need for a guy rope to either a peg, or something solid like your own rim or a mates car as a tie-down.

But I can't understand why the pole is needed in the corner, unless they're worried about wind coming over the top of the awning and pushing it down? granted, if there's rain about, you'd want the pole to make sure no additional weight of wet canvas is being held up by the bracket.
Ah, my mistook. I think the pole is to make sure you can keep tension on the hold down rope? Otherwise how to you tension the rope up without bending something?
It's all too hard for me!

Kakaduv8

I have the 30 second awning mounted on a front runner rack on my 100 series. Great so far, it is a bit bulky though when packed up.

Trophy truck 481

This one you can rope down (ropes built in) but still recommended that you use poles in wind
http://bundutec.com.au/awnings/bundu-awn/
Tink

I had one of these for about 6hrs (4hrs to fit it to my Prado, & 10mins opened and 1hr50min to take it off & repack it ready to return)
it weighed a ton, bent my HD brackets so i reinforced them & it still was low (almost felt like it was pulling the car to one side)
the wife hated it so we sent it back (it also had rusty bolts & a few holes from transporting)

the only bad thing i can see about wing awnings is they don't come far enough out from the car ( most seem to be only 2m) and then there is no provisions to connect any angled wall (sail track between the poles) to make any wind break
our tent swags dont even fit under out 2.5m x 2.5m ARB awning, but fit a 2.5m x 2.9m extension pegged to the ground and all sweet

i did have a deal going for the ostrich wing but need a 10 buy to make it happen

Fittster

I had one of these for about 6hrs (4hrs to fit it to my Prado, & 10mins opened and 1hr50min to take it off & repack it ready to return)
it weighed a ton, bent my HD brackets so i reinforced them & it still was low (almost felt like it was pulling the car to one side)
the wife hated it so we sent it back (it also had rusty bolts & a few holes from transporting)

the only bad thing i can see about wing awnings is they don't come far enough out from the car ( most seem to be only 2m) and then there is no provisions to connect any angled wall (sail track between the poles) to make any wind break
our tent swags dont even fit under out 2.5m x 2.5m ARB awning, but fit a 2.5m x 2.9m extension pegged to the ground and all sweet

i did have a deal going for the ostrich wing but need a 10 buy to make it happen

Have you checked out the Foxwing ones? I've recently been looking into these and now with the stuff people have said here about them I'll be getting it.
Like you said about the ARB one you have, you can buy the extensions for the Foxwing as well and use them to either extend the roof area or bring them down as a wind break.