3.2lt Turbo PX Rangerspecs

angjul99

Interested to know if anybody has the following information regarding the 3.2lt turbo engine in the PX XLT dual cab ranger.
At what rpm range does the turbo start to function adding increased power to the engine?
What boost is produced by the turbo?
Can the boost be increased easily to get more power from the turbo or is it not worth bothering about?

Thanks in advance for the info.

mac_man_luke

Turbo starts making boost from just above idle and will be at max boost by around 1500rpm

Standard they run up to around 28psi, mine tuned runs up to 35psi

You get good increases with a tune and they run more boost earlier on which gives improved torque and economy.

Being a ECU controlled turbo it has quite an interesting boost curve, it does not necessarily use max boost at max throttle but might at part throttle @ 40kph.

Also being an ECU controlled turbo the only way to increase boost is by getting a tune / ecu reflash (or fudging it with a unichip)

angjul99

mac man,

Thanks for that. If it was any easy fix I would have considered it but the engine has plenty of power for what I need. Will look into cost of system though as if more economical then maybe worth the look. You mentioned fudging it with a unichip, what does this entail?

Thanks

mac_man_luke

Tunes can save you up to 2-3L/100, worth it if you do enough Kms

Unichips plug into the ECU loom and intercept the values to the ECU tricking it. Not ideal but i can work.
Only advantage is not splitting your ECU.