2nd spare tyre puncture -reality vs fantasy?

cam04

Fraser Island great place to go and have fun but be aware there are plenty of things just under the sand, 3 holes in 2 days, plug in 2 off them and a tree root got the side wall on the third one shit happens the worst part is sitting around a camp fire at night with a few people while trying to fix them, 8 or so burbons later well it was a good night
Yes when it is dry over there the required pressures for forward motion can cause a bit of mayhem.
2 years ago I popped two beads towing up hill across the island. Couldn't get the jockey wheel low enough to get the trailer off. Ended up pulling a "the gods must be crazy" stunt and winched the car up a tree to reseat the front tyre. Had to dig a big hole to get the jack under the rear axle to do the same. Great fun when pushing your luck with the tides.

GLee

Thanks for the advice. Bought an external solar TPMS for a massive $42.44 from Aliexpress (range is 0-50 PSI for the sandy situations).
Probably the cheapest thing I have spent on a 4WD...and less cables.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-123720_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-123720_AliExpress.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 18

dabbler

I almost always have two spare wheels on board. My setup is predominantly for longer trips and I have the space and weight capacity.

Apart from rotations, I've changed three tyres in the last 5+ years and 115k km. About a third of that distance was on unsealed roads in western Qld and NSW.

The first was when a large chunk of tread and sidewall were ripped out, presumably when I was driving through a campground after leaving the seal. That tyre was about 4 yrs old and hard rubber. The other two were within 30 mins of each other while I was driving through suburban Rocky. These two were less than a 6 months old. Both were spiked by nails.

The biggest issue was getting one wheel off the vehicle. The tyre fitters really did a job on it. If I'd been on a gravel surface instead of a concrete driveway I think it would have been very dodgy. I now plan my rotations just ahead of any longer trips.

Ranger_Scott

I staked a sidewall on a brand new tyre crossing a cattle grid on the main road to Arkaroola from Leigh Creek. It can happen anywhere,
Wouldn't have been the grid just before Wirrealpa Homestead/turn off that ripped the sidewall of my tyre a few years ago?

discomatt

I was tossing up whether to take a 2nd spare on our trip, 4 days in at Renmark after doing big desert had a slow leak and found this

Attachments

• 4C7B4D6F-EE88-483D-A473-C8C6E052B7E9.jpeg
    4C7B4D6F-EE88-483D-A473-C8C6E052B7E9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • E5F73C8B-EA26-49FA-B9C2-13B214C13FBE.jpeg
    E5F73C8B-EA26-49FA-B9C2-13B214C13FBE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

Colly18

Thanks for the advice. Bought an external solar TPMS for a massive $42.44 from Aliexpress (range is 0-50 PSI for the sandy situations).
Probably the cheapest thing I have spent on a 4WD...and less cables.

Thanks for this. Amazing how modern technology brings things we previously dreamed of within reach for 'the masses'.

nitrobrent

Mate did 2 sidewalls on Day 2 of a 2 week trip.
Couldn't get replacements for at least a week anywhere from Sydney to Newcastle.
Fortunately another mate sold him 4 second hand ones.
Changed them and took 1 case with us.
Next trip he came down from Queensland, did Victorias hard tracks and the VHC on the way home and not an issue.
20220810_194044.jpg

discomatt

I can’t work out the pic Matt?
It’s the inside edge of the R/H rear rim, never seen a steel rim split like that, have seen alloy wheels crack, have seen steel wheels bend but never a steel wheel crack and not even a dent
I think it probably started on the Kimberly trip heading in or out of Micheal Falls because that is the only road I can think of that would have caused damage like that

Attachments

• 1F2BF7EE-28EF-44E9-AE17-5ACEF54DF07C.jpeg
    1F2BF7EE-28EF-44E9-AE17-5ACEF54DF07C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

boobook

It’s the inside edge of the R/H rear rim, never seen a steel rim split like that, have seen alloy wheels crack, have seen steel wheels bend but never a steel wheel crack and not even a dent
I think it probably started on Monday he Kimberly trip heading in or out of Micheal Falls because that is the only road I can think of that would have caused damage like that
That does look unusual.

Albynsw

I think it probably started on the Kimberly trip heading in or out of Micheal Falls because that is the only road I can think of that would have caused damage like that

Very strange, that on the van I assume ?

cam04

Mate did 2 sidewalls on Day 2 of a 2 week trip.
Couldn't get replacements for at least a week anywhere from Sydney to Newcastle.
Fortunately another mate sold him 4 second hand ones.
Changed them and took 1 case with us.
Next trip he came down from Queensland, did Victorias hard tracks and the VHC on the way home and not an issue. View attachment 74085
Is that the one with the active sway bars running though a centre mounted diff setup? Great looking travel.

discomatt

Attachments

• E1CB0851-C6C2-4062-9E98-269D80E52FF9.jpeg
    E1CB0851-C6C2-4062-9E98-269D80E52FF9.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 26
  • EBFC3ED5-801A-477A-A7FA-A5943043F0C2.jpeg
    EBFC3ED5-801A-477A-A7FA-A5943043F0C2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

nitrobrent

Is that the one with the active sway bars running though a centre mounted diff setup? Great looking travel.
Not sure about the sway bar, has a centre mounted Dana 60 that's PTO driven with a drum for winching forwards ,up , and back

cam04

Not sure about the sway bar, has a centre mounted Dana 60 that's PTO driven with a drum for winching forwards ,up , and back
Looks a lot like a Sydney based one I saw. He used the action of the diffs going up and down to drive the opposite corner in the other direction. It got some travel going. Like a mechanical version of KDSS a long time before it existed - in WA or anywhere else.

2luxes

Talking about this the other day

so are 3ply walls ( harder ) better than a softer 2ply wall ?

years ago I would have just said the harder / stronger the better but now thinking maybe a softer more pliable wall could might be better
If I was living way out in the deserts, I would not have either one. Every time I have been out there I have noticed the majority of cars like Landcruiser utes or station wagons have 7.50 x 16 cross plies that have sidewalls that are about 20 mm thick. They are the last things you would want in cities but they are in a class of their own in the bush.

As for taking one of two spares, I have always taken one ( not a cross ply) along with a couple of tubes and enough REMA TIP TOP puncture repair equipment to fix not only tread punctures but up to 80 mm tears in the sidewalls.

Albynsw

If I was living way out in the deserts, I would not have either one. Every time I have been out there I have noticed the majority of cars like Landcruiser utes or station wagons have 7.50 x 16 cross plies that have sidewalls that are about 20 mm thick. They are the last things you would want in cities but they are in a class of their own in the bush.

As for taking one of two spares, I have always taken one ( not a cross ply) along with a couple of tubes and enough REMA TIP TOP puncture repair equipment to fix not only tread punctures but up to 80 mm tears in the sidewalls.

I just so happen to be on a million acre desert cattle station right now and over at the shed checking out the bull catcher rigs
Their preferred tyre is the MRF cross ply, they have used some cheaper Chinese ones as well that are holding up ok but not as good as the MRF
D365562E-3D3D-4C83-A207-1F5EA309A32D.jpeg

They mainly run Toyotas but have several jeeps that they bought cheap as well
Speaking with the foreman he said the jeeps are the best “ when they are going “ the short wheelbase and petrol motor makes them quick and nimble plus coils all around are a nicer ride, steering arms get bent a lot too but the bloody things are not reliable. The Landcruisers ( particularly the old 4.2) are by far the most reliable but you don’t have the acceleration when you want it
He said the SWB petrol Patrols are great but too hard to find them these days
They just finished muster and the mechanic has come up for a few days doing maintenance. He was having a winge about the Wranglers and how temperamental they are and how everyone is different, you can’t just swap parts amongst them even though they are the same model

290A1C1A-3E3F-4E3E-986C-24A47ECC1B09.jpeg
0342D6AD-1325-439B-B200-CBAC68E7B10E.jpeg
D07884D3-B2C9-4517-8264-2A33166E76C7.jpeg
BEF8AFEF-0110-4460-919F-7376E68D9C42.jpeg
C34E1B72-6643-49D7-8E18-F3936D864378.jpeg