2nd spare tyre puncture -reality vs fantasy?

GLee

Out of curiosity, how many people have used a 2nd spare tyre on a trip, for which the 1st spare could not be plugged?

I do intend to do some more inland overlanding and was curious about the realities of carrying a 2nd spare tyre, particularly if the first could not be repaired (sidewall damaged).

I understand that it is all a matter of ‘insurance’ but the penalty of carrying a rear bar setup and spare wheel got me thinking about the realities of damaging two tyres on a single trip (cannot fix the first tyre on the trip).

In my life I have only ever suffered one car tyre puncture (on the road with nail - you can leave it in and keep pumping it up until you can repair it).
Overlanding/4WD brings in the dreaded sidewall damage potential, which is a game ender…but what is the real probability of it occurring?

*I referring to normal overlanding (Canning Stock, Simpson Desert, Fraser Island stuff), not hardcore/extreme 4WDing where everything breaks.

cam04

Out of curiosity, how many people have used a 2nd spare tyre on a trip, for which the 1st spare could not be plugged?

I do intend to do some more inland overlanding and was curious about the realities of carrying a 2nd spare tyre, particularly if the first could not be repaired (sidewall damaged).

I understand that it is all a matter of ‘insurance’ but the penalty of carrying a rear bar setup and spare wheel got me thinking about the realities of damaging two tyres on a single trip (cannot fix the first tyre on the trip).

In my life I have only ever suffered one car tyre puncture (on the road with nail - you can leave it in and keep pumping it up until you can repair it).
Overlanding/4WD brings in the dreaded sidewall damage potential, which is a game ender…but what is the real probability of it occurring?

*I referring to normal overlanding (Canning Stock, Simpson Desert, Fraser Island stuff), not hardcore/extreme 4WDing where everything breaks.
You’ll cross the Simpson 10 times without issue, then have to go into the shrubs to get around some gronk with a bogged trailer and do two in 10 metres - happened to one of our crew. I think there is a similar thread in here if you have a search?

Hoyks

I've holed 2 tyres in a weekend just driving on gravel roads between Newcastle and Armidale. A hole the size of your fist in one tyre and a cut sidewall that was leaking on the other.

I got into town at 11.45 on the Saturday and could only get a tyre that should have been sent to the tip to get me back home.

Should have new tyres as worn out ones are more likely to get holed, I hear you cry!
The brand new tyres were fitted on the Wednesday.

I have room for 2 spares, bur rarely put it on. If worried about weight, just carry a spare carcass, tubes and learn how to change a tyre (or take a friend that does)

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would highly recommend taking at least a spare tyre carcass (saves weight of a wheel) and the means to change it.

Recently did a trip to the centre via Finke / Chambers on the Old Ghan Track and a small washout took out a tyre & bent a V in the steel wheel, was able to bash the wheel into round using @Outrage s mash hammer and fit the spare tyre carcass giving me a spare tyre again- still good today

As @cam04 says, you can do a dozen trips and not have an issue but then bang and believe me it is expensive to put your car on the back of a flat tray back to civilisation - this happened on the Marble Bar Road heading towards Pt Hedland for a spare tyre after a sharp rock put a fist sized hole through the side wall heading into Desert Queen Baths.

Make sure you have either Tyrepliers or R&R Beadbreakers and a full patch & plug kit as well as truck sized patches and mushroom plugs.

Cheers

Albynsw

A TPMS and a plug kit are great deterrents to needing a tyre change. There will be some tyre damage that you won’t be able to repair but a lot of damaged tyres you see on the side of the road are buggered because they were driven on whilst under inflated from what would of been a easily repairable puncture

Reactions: CTL

boobook

I got a puncture the next day after the first one could not be fixed.

Don't worry about places like the Simpson. I've never been with anyone that has even had a puncture there. but CSR CSH etc where you can get spiked by Mulga is the problem. In the shoulder/sidewalls too.

I carry 2 spares, a spare tube, patches and plugs for those trips. You can still get tubes for 16" and 17" rims. You need to get ones designed for tubeless valve stem holes.

mikehzz

I had three flats in one day on the Oodnadatta Track and needed the second spare because of wrecked tyres. You'll do 10 trips and not get a flat out there, but when your luck is out you'll be glad you have it. I've never needed the second spare on tracks near civilization, like the Vic High Country, or Blue Mountains, but the sheer hundreds of kms of sharp rocks and corrugations on the Outback roads coupled with the speed you can get along at, can chew through even new tyres. A TPMS will save a tyre in those conditions because it can get pretty low without you knowing it with all the banging, crashing and drifting going on.

CTL

I agree with others, get a TPMS as it will save a tyre in the majority of cases. I defy anybody to detect a slowly deflating tyre on a gravel/dirt road.
Travelling to the northern end of the Canning Stock Route, we suffered a side wall puncture, suspect a sharp rock, on the Tanami Track. New TOYO LT AT, shit tyre, will never recommend them. Plugged it and carried on as only slow speeds for the CSR.
Staked another sidewall, bloody mulga roots, on the southern end of the CSR. Plugged it and carried on.
At the southern end, well 2, swapped out the 2 side wall damaged tyres for the two new spares we carried from home. I wasn’t going to risk plugged side walls on the high speed trip home.
Had both tyres professionally repaired when home, $100 each.

phs

I got a puncture the next day after the first one could not be fixed.

Don't worry about places like the Simpson. I've never been with anyone that has even had a puncture there. but CSR CSH etc where you can get spiked by Mulga is the problem. In the shoulder/sidewalls too.

I carry 2 spares, a spare tube, patches and plugs for those trips. You can still get tubes for 16" and 17" rims. You need to get ones designed for tubeless valve stem holes.
Talking about this the other day

so are 3ply walls ( harder ) better than a softer 2ply wall ?

years ago I would have just said the harder / stronger the better but now thinking maybe a softer more pliable wall could might be better

John U

For crossing the Simpson I got the same suggestions regarding carrying a second spare. I got a TPMS and left second spare at home. Got through without any issues.
Something in the back of my mind is 'Would some drivers take a riskier line to avoid some pinstripes?' The riskier line might be higher risk for punctures.

Rojac

We shredded 3 tyres, had 3 spares, were lucky and cracked a fuel tank on the Nathan River Rd from Borroloola to Roper Bar a few years back

mikehzz

I staked a sidewall on a brand new tyre crossing a cattle grid on the main road to Arkaroola from Leigh Creek. It can happen anywhere,

Rojac

I staked a sidewall on a brand new tyre crossing a cattle grid on the main road to Arkaroola from Leigh Creek. It can happen anywhere,
Likewise brand new MT ATZ P3, staked the top of the thread where it joined the sidewall in the mallee, had problems finding any tyre mobs that would repair with a mushroom patch as they said the position made repairing it illegal, did get it done but now run it as a second spare, yet can happen anywhere with any tyre, luck of the draw I suppose

RBJET

I've had more punctures from picking up screws at work than I've had touring.
Saying that, screw punctures are easily repairable unlike doing a sidewall.

I'd still buy a TPMS and carry a puncture kit over carrying a seconds spare (unless traveling super remote and solo).

BonZa

same with me, possibly same cattle grid, then later had another puncture later in the day. lucky I had an extra spare on the roof rack. had them both fixed up at the next town then a couple of weeks later near Hermannsberg had another puncture. three punctures on that trip at the time driving a 60 series with tubed tyres. to add salt after getting home copped another.
and more recently staked a tyre on my 79 series

boobook

Talking about this the other day

so are 3ply walls ( harder ) better than a softer 2ply wall ?

years ago I would have just said the harder / stronger the better but now thinking maybe a softer more pliable wall could might be better
I don't know the answer to that. You'd think so. But my go to tyres now are Toyo AT which are only 2 ply. They definitley out perform the MT which bag out way too much, I think they are 3 ply.

red hilux

I’m heading off for the Simpson this weekend, 2 spares, plugs.
Doing Simpson, oodnadattta, googs

a couple people have tubes also

hiluxxury

When I take a second spare, I take it as my risk analysis says its a good idea. I wouldn't worry about it so much on the SImpson, but I have and would again on the Canning. The Simpson is a short trip and there are plenty of people around. The flatbed out isn't ridiculously expensive either.

The remoteness and risks that come with something like the Canning or other remote tracks, makes it a different proposition.

cam04

I don't know the answer to that. You'd think so. But my go to tyres now are Toyo AT which are only 2 ply. They definitley out perform the MT which bag out way too much, I think they are 3 ply.
Same - the Yoko GO15's I keep buying are 2 ply. No doubt a 3 ply will be more puncture resistant in the sidewall but the 2 ply will run cooler and drive better on mid sized "light trucks". I don't miss 3 plys like BFG's one bit.

monk2

Fraser Island great place to go and have fun but be aware there are plenty of things just under the sand, 3 holes in 2 days, plug in 2 off them and a tree root got the side wall on the third one shit happens the worst part is sitting around a camp fire at night with a few people while trying to fix them, 8 or so burbons later well it was a good night