250W solar panel only producing 60W??

Triton14

Hi all, so I just got my new solar blanket yesterday & trialled it this morning by plugging it into my new Victron/dual battery system & according to the app its only producing 60W in what I would think is ideal full sunlight in top of my canopy.

The blanket is a Maxray & these are the specs-

SPECIFICATIONS
Max Power:250W
Max Power Voltage:18V
Max Power Current:13.8A
Maximum Power Tolerance:±3%
Max System Voltage:1000V
Operating Temperature Min:-35℃
Operating Temperature Max:60℃
Folded Dimension:365*370*55mm
Open Dimension:1270*720*18mm
WHAT'S IN THE BOX
1x1x250W Folding Solar Mat
1x2m Cable
1xUSB Solar Controller
1xAnderson Plug
1xAlligator Clips
FEATURES
Latest 2020 Model
23% High Coversion Rate
Grade-A Monocrystalline Cell Panels
Matte PET surface, easy adhesion, stable structure and stamping resistance
High-density material with high light transmission, strong and aging resistance
Folding storage design, easy to carry
German Certification

Screenshot_20200804-102528.jpg

The voltage looks ok but I thought it would produce more amps or is that normal??

The Aux was hovering around 14.3V after a while whick I know is in the ballpark for correct charging @ a max of about 14.7v

Just new to the whole set up as well so not sure if I am getting what I should out of the blanket?

Cheers.

Last edited:

cam04

I'd say that's all the battery will accept, rather than what the panel will produce. Need to run the battery down to see more inflow current I think?

Triton14

I'd say that's all the battery will accept, rather than what the panel will produce. Need to run the battery down to see more inflow current I think?
Thanks for the response cam.

Yes the Aux battery is actually pretty close or fully charged & that could be why but not sure?

Sounds like I might need to run it down then if that's what your suggesting?

Still I would have thought that I would still be able to show close to 250W available production?

But like I'm saying I'm new to the Victron & not sure how it works entirely.

I know it does reduce the maximum charge level to suit the battery still thought it would show me what's available?

Swaggie

@Triton14
You bought a great mppt controller, Maxray are crap, I’d suggest get your money back and buy either Korr or something similar.Ridge Rider we’re on special and some other good brands lately.

MrPoopypants

Hi T. I'm with Cam0. Try hooking your compressor up to it and drain some juice out of it quickly and see if it goes up. A good controller will keep the input down in that final phase when the charge in the battery is high. The last 10% is apparently the most critical to control and where a good dcdc or mppt controller claim to make a difference, so might be easier to get it down a fair bit lower and zap it again in full sun. I think if you put a high draw on it while charging the controller should try to meet the draw. PP
PS be interested to hear how you go.

Aaron Schubert

I'm going to say that you've been ripped off, like heaps of other people buying panels that aren't advertised properly.

A 200W mono solid panel with 17% cell efficiency is 1580 x 808mm. That's 1.276m2

Your '250W' panel supposedly has 23% cell efficiency, but is only 1270mm x 720mm. That's 0.914m2

A true 250W panel at 17% efficiency should be 1.595m2. Remove the 6% better efficiency factor for better efficiency and your panel should still be at least 1.499m2.

Your panel is more than likely a 150W, sold as a 250W.

Absolutely does my head in seeing this. I wrote a post a number of years ago about it, after finding my brother and a few mates had exactly the same experience - eBay solar panels; how to avoid being ripped off.

Test the panel under load, but I bet you never get more than 100W.

Aaron

sharkcaver

I got ripped on a sunyee 120w flexible panel recently too. Although it is sitting flat, affecting it's output a little, the most I've ever seen from it is about 60w too...into a discharged battery, in full mid day sunlight I might add.

c'est la vie

MrPoopypants

I got ripped on a sunyee 120w flexible panel recently too. Although it is sitting flat, affecting it's output a little, the most I've ever seen from it is about 60w too...into a discharged battery, in full mid day sunlight I might add.

c'est la vie

Was that the type Michael from Seek Adventure gave a good rap after testing well??? His video on it was pretty interesting.
PP

Triton14

I'm going to say that you've been ripped off, like heaps of other people buying panels that aren't advertised properly.

A 200W mono solid panel with 17% cell efficiency is 1580 x 808mm. That's 1.276m2

Your '250W' panel supposedly has 23% cell efficiency, but is only 1270mm x 720mm. That's 0.914m2

A true 250W panel at 17% efficiency should be 1.595m2. Remove the 6% better efficiency factor for better efficiency and your panel should still be at least 1.499m2.

Your panel is more than likely a 150W, sold as a 250W.

Absolutely does my head in seeing this. I wrote a post a number of years ago about it, after finding my brother and a few mates had exactly the same experience - eBay solar panels; how to avoid being ripped off.

Test the panel under load, but I bet you never get more than 100W.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron, funnilty enough I was reading that article before I even ordered the blanket.

I thought it sounded to good to be true being only $200!

I think its rediculous that they make claims that are easily checked through controllers that show the actual live data.

At that current of 3.1A if I use half of my 140Ah's charge of 70Ah it would take 23 hours to recharge it, is that correct?
Like I said Im still trying to get an understanding on how this all works.
The 13A max output would be just 6 hours if I am right?

I will run it under load today & if I dont see anything close to that I will be returning it quick smart.

So what brands are out there that are reliable?
Swaggie mentintions Korr, I did look at them but I am on a budget as I am still not working due to CV19 so dont have $5-600 to spend on a blanket & I know panels are cheaper but I dont want the bulk.

See what happens, I could go down the perminent route & fix a panel to the canopy, I know lots of people do that to?

Thanks for the comments all, will come back on the result :)

Aaron Schubert

Thanks Aaron, funnilty enough I was reading that article before I even ordered the blanket.

I thought it sounded to good to be true being only $200!

I think its rediculous that they make claims that are easily checked through controllers that show the actual live data.

At that current of 3.1A if I use half of my 140Ah's charge of 70Ah it would take 23 hours to recharge it, is that correct?
Like I said Im still trying to get an understanding on how this all works.
The 13A max output would be just 6 hours if I am right?

I will run it under load today & if I dont see anything close to that I will be returning it quick smart.

So what brands are out there that are reliable?
Swaggie mentintions Korr, I did look at them but I am on a budget as I am still not working due to CV19 so dont have $5-600 to spend on a blanket & I know panels are cheaper but I dont want the bulk.

See what happens, I could go down the perminent route & fix a panel to the canopy, I know lots of people do that to?

Thanks for the comments all, will come back on the result :)

You'll find a lot of the suppliers will argue with you that it is the right spec too.

You are correct with the 23 and 6 hours.

You want your solar to replace what ever you consume in about 4 hours, unless you are driving around every day.

Just work out how much power you use, and get a panel that suits the above.

Honestly, if you can fix a panel, it is so much better. I've had a 200W fixed on my Dmax canopy now for 3 years, and I've never had to run a second portable panel. My panels have come from Low Energy Developments, who sell the right size ones.

If you want to stick with a blanket, I hear the Kings ones are actually not bad (especially for the money, and except for the controller). Projecta make some, and there are lots of other brands. I have no personal experience with any of them

Aaron

Triton14

You'll find a lot of the suppliers will argue with you that it is the right spec too.
I always research everything I buy & read quite a few comments from people saying this blanket was being meetered through a Victron & getting very close to the rated amount of Watts & amps.

I've read that roof mounted has a down side to not being able to angle or trail the movement of the sun etc, that's part of the reason I wanted to go blanket.
But then again I presume you can charge while you are mobileif you want??

I guess its a matter finding what works for you.

Thanks for the advice ;)

sharkcaver

Was that the type Michael from Seek Adventure gave a good rap after testing well??? His video on it was pretty interesting.
PP
I did see that vid some time ago now but I don't recall exactly what panel he got from sunyee except he cracked it straight out the box....haha.
I know mine is different, because I paid extra for a panel that was aluminium backed, thinking it would be a superior panel. I was wrong, I cant get more than 3.5A out of it. I just got ripped - that said I only got ripped for $135 (using an ebay 15% off special)

I'm running a tracer MPPT reg. Had some issues on last trip and in the interim I borrowed a victron MPPT and its output was the same, so it's not the controller, its an under rated panel.

MrPoopypants

I did see that vid some time ago now but I don't recall exactly what panel he got from sunyee except he cracked it straight out the box....haha.
I know mine is different, because I paid extra for a panel that was aluminium backed, thinking it would be a superior panel. I was wrong, I cant get more than 3.5A out of it. I just got ripped - that said I only got ripped for $135 (using an ebay 15% off special)

I'm running a tracer MPPT reg. Had some issues on last trip and in the interim I borrowed a victron MPPT and its output was the same, so it's not the controller, its an under rated panel.
Try cracking it. :cool:

RBJET

I noted my 150W ebay panel generally only puts out around 1-2A as the battery is always full.
If I've sucked a bit of power with having the lights on all night or the fridge cycling, only then will I see input amps go up to around 6-8A.

EDIT- After reading that article I calculated that my panels are only 80W so 6A sounds about right. Can't complain at $110 for 2.

Last edited:

mac_man_luke

Dont forget its winter too, never getting truely direct sun which is the only time you will get close to maximum
I run 2x 110w panels that do make over that in summer, with the panels angled to the sun at midday but in winter with the panels flat the best i get is about 90w

Also most panels are over rated and most 12v panels are pretty old tech / low quality panels

I used to run a 300w grid connect panel from a high end brand, it would make 150w in low light/overcast conditions etc much better panel but was big heavy and impractical with a RTT

Aaron Schubert

I always research everything I buy & read quite a few comments from people saying this blanket was being meetered through a Victron & getting very close to the rated amount of Watts & amps.

I've read that roof mounted has a down side to not being able to angle or trail the movement of the sun etc, that's part of the reason I wanted to go blanket.
But then again I presume you can charge while you are mobileif you want??

I guess its a matter finding what works for you.

Thanks for the advice ;)

You are correct - a fixed panel will be less efficient than one that you move around. The way to overcome it is to oversize the panel. I just get sick of having to move panels around, and have found this to be the best solution.

It also means it charges all the time - when you are driving, when you pull into the shops for 5 minutes, etc etc

Aaron

Swaggie

Put your blanket on a tarp, pick up one corner and spin it around to the sun, I’ve found it’s the easiest on dirt, grass, gravel and even in the bonnet of the vehicle and it protects the panels underneath..