220km of the Gibb River Rd to be sealed

Colly18

It is a pretty common story in remote communities (that they want the roads sealed), and from their perspective that is pretty understandable. Apart from less wear and tear on locals' vehicles, look at it from a local or state government perspective; where despite initial costs, sealing a road may be a better long-term use of ratepayer/taxpayer dollars, than continual maintenance of gravel/unsealed roads. The price of progress and growing populations guys! I say, get out there and enjoy our desert tracks whilst you can. :)

linuxfan66

ultimately it will make traveling that part of the outback safer and less destructive to the vehicle. im not the guy who drives as tough road because its tough, i drive it because i get enjoyment from the location. i dont feel my enjoyment is ruined by sealing it.

discomatt

Every year they rebuild half the road because it has washed away in the wet season, will cost plenty more when its a bitumen road that gets washed away.
I guess better for the locals, not so good for the 4wd type, better for all the new tourists who paid 150k for a cruiser thats overloaded with a wobble box on the back
Glad we did it before the "modern era"

boobook

I’m the other way around.
Glad it’s getting sealed.
Bugger driving somewhere, just to say you did it, meanwhile your shaking the crap out of everything

Agree, The road is nothing special, apart from the river crossing at the Pentecost. It is a been there done that place these days. and as Chatty says it's only 1/3 of the road.

The magic parts are off the road, and on tracks that will stay dirt and largely unmaintained. Like Mitchell falls, Kulumbaru etc.

Albynsw

For me the sealing of a road makes it accessible to the masses which is a negative experience for me, I avoid crowded areas wherever possible
From the locals point of view I am sure they would like a decent road to drive on

boobook

I do agree with that comment in general Alby, but I think the days of the masses at GRR have been there for years. You meet more Europeans there than Australians. IMHO anything in the 4x4 Australia magazine top 4wd tours has already been overused, and full of trash.

Petunia

Pave the lot, I may only go there once or twice or never?

To say leave it unsealed for my enjoyment, well if it ia a bone shaker will I enjoy it? And I'm sure the people who drive supply trucks would share my sentiment at leaving unsealed after all they only use it once a year too. :cool:

Colly18

Bituminize the road leads to a heap more vehicles, people, vans, etc. Leads to more people going off the main drag; more litter, rubbish and crap in the environment, more illegal camping, more intrusions onto private property. Sure, better roads for the locals, but it pays to see the bigger picture and be aware that controlling the increased volume of tourists will be an issue as well. Be careful what you wish for! :)

Colly18

I do agree with that comment in general Alby, but I think the days of the masses at GRR have been there for years. You meet more Europeans there than Australians. IMHO anything in the 4x4 Australia magazine top 4wd tours has already been overused, and full of trash.
Yes, the masses have been there for years. But I'm positive there is a huge wave of more coming, as soon as we get the country opened up post Covid-19 lockdowns.

discomatt

Bituminize the road leads to a heap more vehicles, people, vans, etc. Leads to more people going off the main drag; more litter, rubbish and crap in the environment, more illegal camping, more intrusions onto private property. Sure, better roads for the locals, but it pays to see the bigger picture and be aware that controlling the increased volume of tourists will be an issue as well. Be careful what you wish for! :)
I know what you mean, I wish they would remove all sealed roads around my area, we get thousands of tourists every weekend, well used to, lock downs have some advantage

Albynsw

I know what you mean, I wish they would remove all sealed roads around my area, we get thousands of tourists every weekend, well used to, lock downs have some advantage

They have recently sealed the last section of the back road into my place and I have noticed more traffic, particularly motor bikes :confused:

muffin man

Remember the study that was to be done a few years back regarding the installation of a new track across the Simpson. It seems it's getting a lot of support from many. Possibly less than 10 years away now.

Karl Fehlauer

For me the sealing of a road makes it accessible to the masses which is a negative experience for me, I avoid crowded areas wherever possible
From the locals point of view I am sure they would like a decent road to drive on

The masses are there anyway and at the moment it is reaching crisis point with the amount of people in the Kimberley - in particular those from the eastern states who don't want to go home due to the lockdowns. Sealing the road may open up that road for everyone but all the access roads to various places will still be dirt so there won't be too much of a difference anyway.

Biggest issue with the Gibb and other roads up there is that people don't know how to drive them - they try and sit on 110 kph whilst towing a block of flats behind them and wonder why they are suffering damage or causing damage to oncoming vehicles. Note - in WA the maximum allowed speed while towing is 100 kph but most people don't abide by it :confused:

Karl