2021 Toyota VDJ76R V8 GXL Wagon

redback

Just a word of warning on the turbo kit, be happy with around 400nm of torque and the driveline will function as it should. Start cranking up the turbo for more torque and the CV's and gearbox will turn into consumable items. So you will still be as slow as the 76 you just sold. But the Perntie will ride better than the 76.

Having driven the Perentie off road, they are a pretty capable 4wd. The 3.9 Isuzu motor is easily equal to the 1HZ. Probably has a slightly better low down torque curve than the 1HZ due to the larger volume in each cylinder. Good luck. Keep posting the build, it will be very interesting to see how you fit this out.
Thanks, yes I'm getting a lot of advice from Justin Cooper here in Tassie, he's the guru down here.

The ride is good, the difference is you don't get the side to side movement in the cab like you do in the 76, which I think is why we were adjusting the steering wheel so much to keep the car straight.

Albynsw

Thanks, yes I'm getting a lot of advice from Justin Cooper here in Tassie, he's the guru down here.

The ride is good, the difference is you don't get the side to side movement in the cab like you do in the 76, which I think is why we were adjusting the steering wheel so much to keep the car straight.

The longer wheelbase of the Defer would work in your favour, I could notice the difference between the 76 and the 79 and the wheel track issue would amplify that as well.
The old Defers are a cool car, hope it all works out for you

Lost1?

There is only 60mm difference between the Perentie wheelbase being 110 inches long and a 76 series. It is the suspension that makes a difference. Body roll on the Perentie is significant compared to the 76 series though.

The Perentie ride was equal to the Range Rover of the day is my recollection of driving both vehicles back then. It almost saw me buy an old Rangie and do the Isuzu conversion.

Mick_Marsh

Congratulations on getting the Defer.

Anyway, enjoy your Defender.
As has already been pointed out, it's not a Defender, it's a Perentie
The Defenders were produced from late 1990. The Perenties were produced, in Australia for defence forces, from 1987. You might see some that were produced in 1996 but they are Bushrangers.
Oh, and the Perentie is a very different Landrover. For starters, their chassis are different from a civilian 110.
Yes, The ADF did have some Defenders. Less than 100.

Nice FFR, Baz. I am looking to replace the Stage 1 with a FFR w/w.
Since we last met, I purchased a 6x6 Perentie. A mate, John finds it the most comfortable vehicle I have (apart from the Territory). He falls asleep in it. That is why I don't let him drive it.
I'm not sure if you remember John, Baz. It was some years ago.

boobook

As has already been pointed out, it's not a Defender, it's a Perentie
The Defenders were produced from late 1990. The Perenties were produced, in Australia for defence forces, from 1987. You might see some that were produced in 1996 but they are Bushrangers.
Oh, and the Perentie is a very different Landrover. For starters, their chassis are different from a civilian 110.
Yes, The ADF did have some Defenders. Less than 100.

Nice FFR, Baz. I am looking to replace the Stage 1 with a FFR w/w.
Since we last met, I purchased a 6x6 Perentie. A mate, John finds it the most comfortable vehicle I have (apart from the Territory). He falls asleep in it. That is why I don't let him drive it.
I'm not sure if you remember John, Baz. It was some years ago.
I stand corrected. A Perenti is based on a Defender but with more oil leaks in the diffs apparently.

Thank you for pointing that out.

LOL.

Albynsw

There is only 60mm difference between the Perentie wheelbase being 110 inches long and a 76 series. It is the suspension that makes a difference. Body roll on the Perentie is significant compared to the 76 series though.

The Perentie ride was equal to the Range Rover of the day is my recollection of driving both vehicles back then. It almost saw me buy an old Rangie and do the Isuzu conversion.

Do they run coils all around like the old Rangie?

Lost1?

Yep Alby, coils on each corner. Constant 4wd. A wider track than the old Rangie from memory. The Defender did not exist when the Perentie was designed. We are talking a vehicle that was first introduce to the ADF in 1987. It was the Land Rover County back then. The County had a 5 Speed gearbox option. But this was not as strong as the 4 speed in the Perentie.

I think Boobook is just looking for a rise.

Mick_Marsh

Yep Alby, coils on each corner. Constant 4wd. A wider track than the old Rangie from memory. The Defender did not exist when the Perentie was designed. We are talking a vehicle that was first introduce to the ADF in 1987. It was the Land Rover County back then. The County had a 5 Speed gearbox option. But this was not as strong as the 4 speed in the Perentie.

I think Boobook is just looking for a rise.

The County was just a trim level on the 110.
The model was a 90, 110 or 130.