2021 Toyota VDJ76R V8 GXL Wagon

redback

Well I finally got a new vehicle, we sold the Golf and the Amarok and started looking for a replacement, had to be a 4X4, wagon and have good power and torque and cargo space.

We first looked at the second hand market, WOW, the price of second hand 4WDs is outrages to say the least, I started with a Defender, "tell him he's dreamin" jeeeezus the money they want is ridiculous, but what else is there

Most on the market are SUVs, not proper 4WDs with little to buggar all room in the back, a 200 maybe, again way too much second hand, 70 series should be OK second, WRONG!!!!! again.

Well the daughter was looking as well and said, hey Baz, the 70 series looks cheaper new according to carsales, WHAT!!! serious, how much cheaper, up to 30k, bullshit, but she was right, hard to believe how much people are willing to pay for second hand Toyota 4WDs and Defenders.

Anyway, we decided to look at a new car, no new stock in NSW, city or rural, we spoke to a guy in Goulburn Toyota and said did any of the other people offer to check dealer stock elsewhere, we said no, hang one minute I'll have a look at Australia wide stock, 3 in stock in Australia, Perth, Melbourne and Shepperton, right quick call to Shepperton, put down a holding deposit, go down a day later and pick it up, drive it to Moama, get it registered and drive home.

We are starting a new life in Tasmania after Kerry passed away, she always wanted to move to Tassie and bought a Hobby Farm on 12Ha(30aches) our place here is not the same without her.

I don't have any photos as yet, they'll will come soon, until then this is what it looks like.
1619003017513.png

Good Points
Well, that V8 is brilliant, good torque and power, space is good, did I mention the engine, good looking car I have to say, fuel capacity and factory lockers.

Bad Points
Wheel track, that is not good at all, comfort is passable, wind noise, seats OK at best, drivers footwell is odd, stereo, although the satnav is OK, stiff ride, although I fixed that a bit by reducing the tyre pressure to standard factory settings instead of 42psi all round from the dealer.

What mods have you done
Heavy duty towbar fitted at TJM Wollongong.

What mods are on the list to do?
Bullbar and winch for starters, gotta fix that rear track too, someone mentioned changing the offset is the cheapest option, so will look into that.
UHF radio, GME of course, Aussie made, no brainer.
Roof rack
Drawers(Ill make some this time

Why did you buy this vehicle?
Not a lot of choice out there for this type of 4WD, D4 was the last of it's type, Defender is now basically a D5 but mostly it's butt ugly, 200 is way over our budget.
It will be used on the farm and for camping and 4WDriving and towing.

How often do you go offroad?
Quite a lot

What will your next vehicle be?
Last one for me

Last edited:

redback

I still have the Disco 4, just can't part with it, too many great memories with Kerry touring Australia with it and I still love it, just a great all round vehicle.

redback

Had a towbar fitted yesterday, will need to move the trailer plug as usual as it will get ripped of the first hole or or wash out I go in, why can't they put it somewhere it won't get damaged.

So those with the 76, how have you fixed the narrow rear track, I will eventually get the True Trak conversion but not yet, don't want to upset Toyota too soon, I'll give it 12mths or so for the car to settle in for any potential warranty issues.

Last edited:

Albynsw

You can run a negative offset on your rear rims. I run neg 50 on my 79, not sure how you go with the rear guard clearance on a 76
I am getting the trutrack mod done on my new one

redback

You can run a negative offset on your rear rims. I run neg 50 on my 79, not sure how you go with the rear guard clearance on a 76
I am getting the trutrack mod done on my new one

Thanks, should be fine I reckon, I want to keep the GXL rims in good nick so will get some steelies for everyday use, can't wait to take it offroad, I'll take the Disco out as well to see how they compare, the Disco is a bit heavy at just over 3tonne though with smaller tyres, should be fun I reckon.

redback

Well there's a bit of change of direction with this vehicle, after the drive down to Tassie and the 10,000ks we put on the 76, it got to the point that no one wanted to drive it and the fact that to correct the rear track was going to cost $10,000, factor in new bullbar, driving lights, dual batteries, roof rack, new decent shocks and springs and it really needs a power upgrade which was way to expensive, this is an $80,000 car so you shouldn't have to spend $15,000 to make it handle and go better.

But the actual reason we decided to get rid of it was the fact it was not a very nice car to drive, especially on undulating roads, was under powered, which shock me I have to say cause everyone reckoned they were great.

Shame really cause I actually love the look of the car, love the sound of the V8, but unfortunately we couldn't get used to it and sadly it had to go, the good part was we got our money back, through one of those companies that buys cars for people, gone in a week.

Along comes this I know what your thinking, are you mad, and some would be correct, yes it's noisy, smelly, truck like but we love it, it's such a good thing to drive as you don't get thrown around in the seat and you're not fighting the steering wheel to keep it on the road and the best of all we got it cheap, less than $19,000, it's great condition with no rust, under the bonnet is clean with no oil leaks, it came ready for rego and apart from replacing parking light globe, we didn't have to do anything to it for it to pass, it passed first time with no problems at all, in fact the guy said it was great to not have to fix anything to pass it.
Pick up Day
1654846255067.png

Arriving Home
1654846312147.png

So there you have it a new direction, the car has a great history behind it, serving overseas for most of it's service, being taken out of service in 2017.

discomatt

So there is the review over time, gutless piece of crap, which was exactly my thought when looking to buy one 6 years ago

redback

So there is the review over time, gutless piece of crap, which was exactly my thought when looking to buy one 6 years ago
I now know why people don't drive them fast, I've driven the pre narrow track Cruiser and they drive a lot better on the road, power wise I reckon the TD42 Cruiser is a far superior car to drive.

boobook

Congratulations on getting the Defer. They do have a lot of appeal, but I am perplexed that one of the main reasons you sold out of the 70 was that it was underpowered, especially as you raved about the power and torque previously, and then you jump into a Defender.

I don't think you listed any point that you couldn't have found out about the 70 with some standard due diligence including a test drive before handing over $80k

I can't help reading from your posts here that you regretted not getting a LR from the start, and were looking for reasons to justify that, and sold your 70 to buy back into some nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that but that would make more sense than what you wrote here to me. That's your business but it sure reads that way. Classic conscientiam emptor scriptor - Buyers remorse.

Anyway, enjoy your Defender.

Last edited:

discomatt

when I was looking at getting one I was super excited about building my dream touring rig, the track issue was going to be one of the first things on the long list of mods with a complete diff and spring upgrade but after driving 2 of them it made me very nervous about spending well in excess of 100k on a 4wd that I may still hate.
Sometimes I still regret or at the least 2nd guess that decision because the Disco 4 that I settled on even though a great car its still has its shortcomings, after all it is a LR and that alone puts limits on things....

boobook

when I was looking at getting one I was super excited about building my dream touring rig, the track issue was going to be one of the first things on the long list of mods with a complete diff and spring upgrade but after driving 2 of them it made me very nervous about spending well in excess of 100k on a 4wd that I may still hate.
Sometimes I still regret or at the least 2nd guess that decision because the Disco 4 that I settled on even though a great car its still has its shortcomings, after all it is a LR and that alone puts limits on things....
Nothing's perfect, unfortunately.

I too love the thought of a 70 but after having swapped cars for a day and driving a troopy up the Connie Sue, I was very happy to get back into my car and let my muscles recover. But I'd trust the troopy over any other 4wd if I had to do that all the time.

boobook

How come the Nissan GQ and GU utes had the same difference in track as the 70 ( 100mm narrower at the back) in the leaf version, and no one ever complained about that for over 20 years? My other car is a sports SUV and has a difference in track of 80mm and corners like it's glued to the road, and I can't notice the difference. I am sure that company knows a thing or two about suspension, undercarriage and cornering.

Why is it such a big issue with the 70? Lots of vehicles have different tracks and a vehicle with one axle 100mm wider should always be more stable laterally than one that doesn't. That's physics.

I suspect it's a bit like a lot of the things PDP and Berrima Diesel do as after-market sellers, they make a big issue out of nothing, so they can sell expensive upgrades that really do nothing or little. It's like the PDP intercooler upgrade. That makes the temps worse than stock.

Interesting to see what real long-term owners think. My mate who is a mechanic and ex-touring bus driver says it has never been an issue to him.

I dunno???

Last edited:

Albynsw

The track issue is not ideal and probably more pronounced in the shorter 76 although in 2020 I hired a bog standard 76 and put 3k on it in Litchfield and Kakadu national parks area with the family and had no complaints

As far as wheel track correction, it can be done as cheaply as $110 a rim with a neg offset rim or you can do a axle correction which I had done on my new one
The dealer organised it for me predellivery and it cost me 3k ish from memory so not a biggy for me ( I spent more than that on the stereo upgrade)

redback

Boobook you are correct about not test driving the 70, that was a big mistake, you were wrong about wanting to buy a Land Rover all along though.
I had no thoughts about buying another Landy at all, actually quite the opposite, I wanted a 70 cruiser and to get one buying new in the middle of this pandemic you couldn't get a test drive because there weren't any to test drive, at the time we bought ours there were only two in Australia, one in Perth and one in Shepperton and we needed a car right away as we'd book the Ferry to Tassie, hindsight's a wonderful thing.

A lot of the guys on here would think I hate Toyotas, quite the contrary, I've had quite a few Toyotas, I've had more Toyotas than Land Rovers in fact, I'm actually thinking once the disco is due to go and after driving a mates 100 4.2turbo for most of the day, I really like it, one of those would be good if the market gets better than what it is, second hand car prices are criminal at the moment, but for now we just can't sell it, to many great memories with Kerry, I just don't have the heart to sell it yet.

Anyway back to the upgrades, the Landy was cheap to buy so it gives us the ability to spend a bit of money to improve it, we've done the light upgrade with spotlights and dual batteries, the car came with a 28v generator and two cubbies on each side of the car for 2 batteries each side, it was a radio communications vehicle and had two 24v radios in it, which are gone, but the 24v distribution box is still there so I can now run a 24v system in it as well the standard 12v system, we've done most of this ourselves.

Next will be a power steering conversion, a turbo kit and new heavy duty clutch to handle the added torque and then a winch.

It's not a Defender, it's a Perentie:cool:

Lost1?

Just a word of warning on the turbo kit, be happy with around 400nm of torque and the driveline will function as it should. Start cranking up the turbo for more torque and the CV's and gearbox will turn into consumable items. So you will still be as slow as the 76 you just sold. But the Perntie will ride better than the 76.

Having driven the Perentie off road, they are a pretty capable 4wd. The 3.9 Isuzu motor is easily equal to the 1HZ. Probably has a slightly better low down torque curve than the 1HZ due to the larger volume in each cylinder. Good luck. Keep posting the build, it will be very interesting to see how you fit this out.