2021 (Jun) - Googs Track & North Simpson Desert Trackless Boys Trip

rob_macca67

What a ripper trip Rob. Some great pics there and the weather looked nice most of the time.

Jellabinna Rocks are on my bucket list. I was planning to go there last September on a trip including Tarcoola and down to Fowlers Bay. but.....

How long is the drive from Googs track to the rocks and what is the track like, especially as you get closer to the rocks. Should I expect it to scratch that crap out of my car and camper? I was planning on about 5 - 6 hours of driving each way and camping in there as you did does that sound about right? One of the last places you can be pretty sure you won't see anyone else.

Also there are tons of criss-cross tracks through there, some appear to go across to the Oldea track and some up to the railway. Did they look serviceable? I don't think some of them have been used for 40 - 50 years from what I can see. I'd be interested in your observations.

Thanks in advance.
I've attached a comment that was on the Googs FB Page for u to make your decision as in regards to panel damage. One of our Party (the person out front leading) got some serious panel damage with a stick that he didn't see or feel hit his passengers side and run all the way down to the rear of the car. It dented his panels all the way to the rear - not good and he was not happy either, so keep this in mind as I don't know what you drive...

Time Frames:
From the T/O into Jellabinna Rock: (100kms / Driving Time:4h36m / Avg Speed:21.8kph)
From Jellabinna Rock out to Googs via Yellabinna Rock (114kms / Driving Time:5h13m / Avg Speed:21.9kph)
(The above times are driving times only which don't include stops for breaks, etc)

The way we went in was slightly different to the way we came out. The way in was less used than the way out. I had marked via Satelite before leaving all the side tracks that I could see and when we were there, very few of them actually existed. Didn't really see any tracks north of the Jellabinna Rocks either but didn't really look that hard either.

The track is heavily wooded with low lying branches - I nearly lost the 2 jerrys that I had on my roof. It is a beautiful spot and peaceful and is quite different to other desert areas..

Attachments

• Googs Track Comments.jpg
    Googs Track Comments.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 11

rob_macca67

Awesome trip, It brings back a lot of memories, I've done maybe 1/2 the places on your run.
1. I trust whoever got out barefoot at the fuel dump copped some pain? I shivered when I saw that pic
(That fella hates wearing shoes but was forced to on the old occasion)

3. 2 x 100's gone - did they have the same suspension issues?
(One Member was concerned how his rear shocks was handling the conditions (& rightly so considering where we were) and made the sensible decision to exit south. His good mate followed him) - He later found out that the Koni Raid Shocks were not adjusted to the correct setting by his mechanic (too soft) and this was the issue.

CTL

Thanks for taking the time to post another excellent trip report with some great photos, again. Finally got a chance to read the report and am super envious. Will be doing part of that trip next year and already have itchy feet.
Thanks again for posting something which this forum was originally all about. Well done mate.

rob_macca67

Thanks for taking the time to post another excellent trip report with some great photos, again. Finally got a chance to read the report and am super envious. Will be doing part of that trip next year and already have itchy feet.
Thanks again for posting something which this forum was originally all about. Well done mate.

Thanks for that... Would be good to see more Trip Reports as this is something that helps everyone in getting out and seeing this great country of ours

Colly18

Thankyou very much, for an excellent trip report and for taking the time to share. There are so many great memories for me in this. I just hope I/we can get back to a lot of these places again, and soon!

rob_macca67

Thankyou very much, for an excellent trip report and for taking the time to share. There are so many great memories for me in this. I just hope I/we can get back to a lot of these places again, and soon!
Yes, totally agree... love the desert area and the sunsets and sunrises...
It’s absolutely amazing how the aboriginals were able to survive there plus how the past explorers crossed the desert...

CTL

It’s absolutely amazing how the aboriginals were able to survive there plus how the past explorers crossed the desert...
The vast, remote and sparse desert lands never cease to amaze me. The tenacity of the original inhabitants to survive in those lands is something I will never truly appreciate.
I have often sat in a remote location and looked around wondering why/how the hell did somebody walk into this location and then find (insert whatever was found there) then walk back out to tell others. And I struggled to get there in a modern, airconditioned fourbie. Really beggers belief sometimes.