2020 Mazda lift kit

XavierTahiti

Hi guys!

I’m looking for a lift kit for my 3.2L BT50, what do you recommend ?

I hesitate between going on a budget a fitting a 200$ spacer lift kit (from perfect lift), or going big and choosing a Fox Shox lift kit from VMN :https://www.vmn.com.au/fox-50-75mm-suspension-lift-kit-suit-mazda-bt50.html

What do you think about it ?
The aim is juste to lift the car to make it a little bit more offroad capable, for our mountains out there in Tahiti. I won’t be carrying heavy weights or mounting a heavy duty bumper.
I might be going for 33’ tires after the lift

thanks!
xavier

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Suppose check local laws re how far you can go with suspension and / or body lift, maybe Tahiti is pretty lax, or who knows.

The BEST lift is wheels / tyres increase in rolling diameter for real diff clearance, but again most jurisdictions have limits on how far you can go, also you will kill a bit of fuel economy, braking distance, travel / steering and body contact needs to be considered.

Next best would be a suspension lift, 50mm is pretty standard here in Oz for non engineered lift.

Body lift with blocks gives some benefits, but it's really more of a boys thing, makes the vehciel LOOK lifted, but not too many real off road benefits.
Increases body roll driving on road (cornering), makes vehicle a little more top heavy and possibly prone to tipping easier on steep inclines if side on.

As with most things 4x4, moderation is the key.
Maybe a slight increase in rolling dia (10% ?) and a 50mm lift kit.

Welcome to the forum again Xavier.

XavierTahiti

Thanks for your answer! :)
Yeah, there aren’t really any real local law about modifying a vehicle, in Tahiti, so it will be OK (we’ve got some rangers with 35-37’ tires, 4’’ suspension lift and additional body lift.. lol looks pretty uggly, but some people likes it! Lol)

I was going to mount Hankook 33’’ tires on the bt50 (RF10 or RT03, haven’t decided yet)

what brand or model would you recommend for the 50mm lift kit ?

Suppose check local laws re how far you can go with suspension and / or body lift, maybe Tahiti is pretty lax, or who knows.

The BEST lift is wheels / tyres increase in rolling diameter for real diff clearance, but again most jurisdictions have limits on how far you can go, also you will kill a bit of fuel economy, braking distance, travel / steering and body contact needs to be considered.

Next best would be a suspension lift, 50mm is pretty standard here in Oz for non engineered lift.

Body lift with blocks gives some benefits, but it's really more of a boys thing, makes the vehciel LOOK lifted, but not too many real off road benefits.
Increases body roll driving on road (cornering), makes vehicle a little more top heavy and possibly prone to tipping easier on steep inclines if side on.

As with most things 4x4, moderation is the key.
Maybe a slight increase in rolling dia (10% ?) and a 50mm lift kit.

Welcome to the forum again Xavier.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'd do mostly wheels tyres within the 10%.

Lift kit. Any of the big brands.
I had a Rockcrawler 2", got me 40mm rear, and this helped with rear loads, I kept the front wound up only 25mm to match loaded rear, as winding up too high = too bigger CV angles, chew them out if too much angle.
I wouldn't recommend the Rockcrawler though, the rear springs were shite really, always inverse.
Ended up breaking a top leaf too.
Ended up changing them out for great leaf packs from SSA in Brisbane . . . https://ssa.com.au/suspension-products/

They were so good, same lift, but rear leaf packs, and cheap !!
These were AUD$505 in early 2019, inc new bushes and ubolt kit.
Fitted my self, a hoist is a must for this.

This was the rockcrawler leaf comparison to the new SSA when I swapped out . . .

Rockcrawler_SSA.jpg

You could leave the front torsion bars standard, if not putting anything heavy on the front.
Wind them up the 20mm - 25mm and sweet.
Mine were heavy duty torsions, only a mm or so thicker, but gave it a pretty hard front ride, I only had an ali nudge, spots, nothing heavy.

Some brands you can look up for kits, if not interested in doing the rear leafs as above and leaving stock front (wound up a bit) . . .

SSA as above do ALL sorts of suspension, inc torsion bars, so first up email them and ask for their recommendations.
They'll all want to know what you have fitted, what you want to fit, constant weight you want to carry in the rear, etc.

Others that are well known.
Ironman
ARB / OME
Dobinsons
Tough Dog
EFS
Probably more if other members have their input.

XavierTahiti

Thanks for your answers, guys.
I might start with 285/70R17 tires, before lifting the car. Are there any issues with ABS/ESC systems, after going one size up ? Are there also any way to recalibrate the speedo, with the correct ratio ?

Thanks

cam04

If you are happy with the way it handles and it is legal, I wouldn’t have an issue with extended shackles and strut spacers for a couple of hundred. They are fine for most countries around the world, just not Australia. If you are carrying big weight, towing monster stuff, or doing thousands of kms of corrugations, a full suspension upgrade might be in order, otherwise save your money for beer. BTW 33’s fit without any lift at all.

XavierTahiti

Hey guys,

Do you know if 315/70R17 tyres will fit with a 3" lift ? Anybody here has 315 installed on his BT ?
What are the risks of the 3" lift, compared to the 2", btw ? I'm looking at this one : https://ppdperformance.com.au/produ...t-kit-a1-fox-tour-pack?variant=32147180650589

I hesitate between 285/70R17 and 2" lift, and 315/70R17 with 3" lift. I'd rather go 315, but I'm affraid i'll need to regear, or modify the body slightly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Why do you need to go so high?
CV angles won’t be happy

Diff drop kit should be supplied with such a lift kit, there seem to be some on the market . . .

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/mazda-bt50-pk-ranger-diff-drop-system

Just a couple of examples searching Google for > 2020 mazda bt-50 diff drop kit
Anything over 2" should have one supplied, rather than having to buy separately.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
What are the risks of the 3" lift

Besides CV angles and the need for a diff drop kit, you will possibly find . . .
other steering / brake line components need modification / extending
suspension components like bushes might be more prone to wearing prematurely
stability with the raised height might be worse when traversing steep terrain (higher centre of gravity, tipping)
braking performance might decrease
road handling / cornering also could be affected

Better to go with decent clearance via slightly larger rolling dia, and a moderate 2" lift . . . maybe wheels / tyres up to 10% more, or fuel econ will be more noticeably affected, and again braking distance could increase.

XavierTahiti

OK guys, thanks for the answers :)
I'll stick to a 2" lift and 285/70/17 tires... I really wanted the 315/70/17, but 'im affraid they'll rub a lot

Hoyks

Spacers are a waste of time. You will still have the poor factory springs, just with a bit of pre-load on them. The amount of effort to install them is the same as a new set of springs.

A pair of new coils, in Australia at least, is around $200. So not horrendously expensive.
A pair of taller springs for the back was around $750 from memory. Springs were around $500, but you need new bushes, U bolts and a few other bits and pieces. I fitted it all myself, but I'd pay someone to fit the coils to the struts, without the proper tools you're risking serious injury. If you want new struts, then its probably cheaper just to buy new ones already assembled with the new spring and just bolt them in.

I still have the factory struts and rear shocks. They are only 160000km/7 years old and working well enough. Probably due for a change this year though.

If you go too tall, the tail shaft shaft can also get unhappy if it is going through too much of an angle and you may get a vibration/shudder from it. Mine was fine, but a few guys reported an issue. Most suspension mobs now do spacer kits or if you really keen, you can go to the expense of adding an extra uni joint to the tail shaft.