2020 76 Series Landcruiser - Whining/Ringing noise while coasting

Hi all,

I realise I have posted the last 3 topics recently. So, following this post I will pipe down.

I have a whining noise that came with my cruiser from new. No idea why I have left it, but I figured I should start figuring out what the hell it is before warranty runs out.

The whining / ringing noise occurs above 1800rpm while car is coasting in gear. Once on the accelerator or clutch the noise disappears instantly. Above 2500rpm (roughly) the ringing jumps up an octave and goes even more high pitched. A prime example of this is rolling down a hill in 3rd, not touching anything (except the steering wheel) it will ring its heart out. It sounds like a bird that has had way to many coffees.

I have taken short vids of this but cannot seem to upload them.

Originally I thought it may be something that will wear in perhaps (never had a new car), but now at 30k kms, it is the same as day one.

I would love to figure this out, because I really CBF going to Toyota and dealing with their antics.

Albynsw

Can’t say I have experienced that so can‘t help you, have you asked the dealer to look at it?

(The above link is awaiting approval, I have never uploaded to youtube before. Turn the volume up, its the faint ringing in the background)

I have found others with the issue, just hvnt been able to get through to them.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/2021-vdj79-dual-cab-chirping-noise.157215/

RBJET - Well played sir. Well Played.

The plot thickens. Yesterday whilst driving and trying to figure it out, I was accelerating, and once I pulled my foot off the noise was delayed a second or two (where it is usually instant) then the air intake expelled air, then the noise started again. Sound is coming from firewall or engine area. Would love to idientify it before going to toyota to be told. "its normal".

joshinthecity

Ok... here it is. (almost the perfect best / worst answer)
They all do it.
The demo I drove (brand new) back in 2021 did it.
My truck, 2022 76 series (18,000 klm) does it.
Another near new truck I drove (can't recall the exact year / milage) also did it.
so.... that's 100% from a sample size of 3. Not enough to write your thesis with, but certainly statistically relevant to your question.. and may help you sleep at night
My best theory.. it's the EGR activating.

Josh.

Ok... here it is. (almost the perfect best / worst answer)
They all do it.
The demo I drove (brand new) back in 2021 did it.
My truck, 2022 76 series (18,000 klm) does it.
Another near new truck I drove (can't recall the exact year / milage) also did it.
so.... that's 100% from a sample size of 3. Not enough to write your thesis with, but certainly statistically relevant to your question.. and may help you sleep at night
My best theory.. it's the EGR activating.

Josh.
Well Ill be f*@ked. I didn't see that coming.

"Best / worst answer" - hahahaha

I guess I will just need to put a decent stereo in to drown it out.

I would be interested to see more 70 series owners comment on this. Seems like it is recent thing. 2020 up or so.

Thanks for your help everyone.

benjibenji1993

It’s a strange thing do you think this will be a failure in the future of the egr ? Cause as my car hit 75xxx kms it started making the noise

benjibenji1993

Yeah I know . Almost the moment the car hit. 75xxx it started making the sound

I work in the mines and they run all new 79s from 2018 onwards and I can assure you this is not a normal noise none of the cruisers out here make this noise

Loubrey

I'm not a Toyota guy, but we drive 79's at work and my guess would be that its just transmission whine, as they all seem to do. Considering the sound goes away on acceleration or depressing the clutch, I can't see it being engine related. We usually drive on dirt roads, so a lot of other noises, but once you're travelling on sealed roads the whine from the transmission on overrun (coasting in gear) is pretty loud. Our cars are serviced every 5,000km (which is 6 to 8 weeks), so if they do it I would imagine everyone's might do it.

EGR's basically recirculates exhaust gas for a second burn to try and clean it up a bit, so unlikely to make any additional sound?

benjibenji1993

I'm not a Toyota guy, but we drive 79's at work and my guess would be that its just transmission whine, as they all seem to do. Considering the sound goes away on acceleration or depressing the clutch, I can't see it being engine related. We usually drive on dirt roads, so a lot of other noises, but once you're travelling on sealed roads the whine from the transmission on overrun (coasting in gear) is pretty loud. Our cars are serviced every 5,000km (which is 6 to 8 weeks), so if they do it I would imagine everyone's might do it.

EGR's basically recirculates exhaust gas for a second burn to try and clean it up a bit, so unlikely to make any additional sound?
So your cars at work have that high pitched noise aswell?
I know they whining noise they make but that distinct noise like metal is being cut away slowly on a metal lathe that’s the only way I can describe it

typhoeus

. . . . Considering the sound goes away on acceleration or depressing the clutch, I can't see it being engine related.

When you depress the clutch, the gearbox, drivetrain , diffs etc are still turning, but the engine is isolated. So maybe it is engine related. Check all the pulleys, idlers, water pump, even the sheet metal heat shields, they can vibrate with engine harmonics.