Change background image

2018 seasonal track closures

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Bomber2012, May 6, 2018.

1. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

2. CaptainBanana

CaptainBanana Active Member

So here's a question for you all, where do you like to go during track closure periods? Where do you still find interesting and open tracks during winter? I'm back in Victoria this year which means that tonnes of closures are in affect and I think today is the final day for many tracks but of course I don't want to stop seeing the sites.

3. RBJET

RBJET Active Member

I went between Jamieson and Woodspoint last year with plenty to see, plus a bit of snow.
    Probably do the same this year.

Bomber2012 and phs like this.
  4. CaptainBanana

Glad to hear that as I had thought to either head toward Eildon or Walhalla for the next weekender but the Walhalla closure lists seems to have every track we drove there closed.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  5. peterfermtech

peterfermtech Well-Known Member

phs, Bomber2012, Wang and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

There are still plenty of tracks that remain open North of the Thompson Dam around Aberfeldy , Donnellys Creek area
    that range from easy to more challenging , just depends what you want .

Spooner, phs and Bomber2012 like this.
  7. CaptainBanana

8. peterfermtech

Works on my Samsung S8 but it does take a bit of playing around with it to show the options.
    Hit the "v" key next to home to clear panel.
    Hit the "apps" button (3x3 dots)
    Go to layers.
    Hit the selection where it says Start View and a radio button should pop up
    Change from start View to Forest Explorer by scrolling up from the selected start view (start view is the last selection of 8 buttons).
    Turn off the Crown land and reserve as this lists apiary locations which tends to confuse the view.
    You can now play around to have different maps under basemaps.

regards

9. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Next time you go there RB Jet, go to these 2 places, especially if you have kids.

1)The start of the Yarra. A good thing to do for kids is start at the Yarra mouth, then drive here. Kids love the fact that it is the same river. They learn a lot.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/37°45'43.7"S+146°09'31.0"E/@-37.7618328,146.1583046,17z/data=!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x0!2zMzfCsDQ1JzQzLjQiUyAxNDbCsDA5JzI2LjgiRQ!3b1!8m2!3d-37.76205!4d146.15745!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d-37.7621433!4d146.158598

2)The triangle.
    This is a watershed. If a raindrop falls a few meters to the North West, it will end up in the Murray and come out about 800km to the west.
    A raindrop that falls a few meters to the SW will end up in the Yarra and come out 70km away in Port Melbourne
    A Raindrop that falls a few meters to the east will end up at Lakes Entrance about 350km to the east.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°38'52.7"S+146°07'47.8"E/@-37.6479797,146.1277473,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x0!2zMzfCsDM5JzAwLjEiUyAxNDbCsDA3JzQzLjIiRQ!3b1!8m2!3d-37.65004!4d146.12867!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d-37.6479843!4d146.129936

10. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Works for me on iPhone 8 following @peterfermtech ’s instruction.:)

peterfermtech likes this.
  11. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Very interesting, done a lot around woods Pinot and Jamo but never done the full drive from one to the other.

the drive to woodspoint is very deceptive it seems close on the map ( from the Yarra valley ) but it's actually fair drive

I'd imagin a round robin from here to woods point to jamo and back again would be a big day but Definetly like to give it a shot

Cheers

Bomber2012, boobook and mac_man_luke like this.
  12. CaptainBanana

I'm actually looking at planning a weekend that goes from point A to point B point much like you describe, this may just work.

13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

See the link mate to one of last years trips in July
    https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/snow-run-15th-16th-july-2017.42586/
    Great driving , lots of fun :)

Bomber2012 and dno67 like this.
  14. peterfermtech

Plenty of tracks open every where. Just not the iconic and above the snow line tracks and now the degree of difficulty has just stepped up a notch or two with tracks being a bit more slippery and creek crossings a bit deeper. Time to get out and explore those hidden gems without having to worry about dust and crowds. Big fires are even better in winter.:)

regards

Spooner and Bomber2012 like this.
  15. Jason Watt

Jason Watt Active Member

Commercial Hotel Woods Point.jpg If you're planning on doing Woods Point to Jamieson make sure you:
    1. Watch out for the evil, wicked, mean and nasty Woods Point cop.
    2. The Commercial Hotel is up for sale so don't expect much.
    3. Check out the free campsites along the way at Knockwood/Snakes Reserve etc.
    4. Stop off at the Kevington Hotel along the way. Not much from out front but explore the property. Amazing.
    5. Check out the old walk-through gold mines at Kevington (Hint: Bring a decent torch and gumboots).
    6. Push on to Mansfield and come home via Eildon/Bonnie Doon/Yea etc. for an easy drive home.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Spooner and Bomber2012 like this.
  16. RBJET

RBJET Active Member

Cheers mate, no kids but always interested in a look. Probably heading up at the end of this month for another play.

Usually we'll make a weekend out of it. Spend the Saturday heading to woods point and camp somewhere in the region, then head out towards Jamieson on the Sunday and drive home from Mansfield.
    Woods Point looks close but the roads in are slow and winding. Try driving all the way from Greendale... Too far for a day trip.

phs likes this.
  17. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Woods point - Marysville rd goes on forever
    Driven it a lot of times and every time we underestimate how long that dirt rd is

yeah great idea making a W/e of it

RBJET likes this.