2017 Mitsubishi MQ Triton GLS SE

Warby

Hey all,

Figured I'd start a thread in here, if only to give me somewhere to document the various bits and pieces on my car and give me somewhere to post ideas/thoughts/ask for advice/etc... The car is a 2017 Mitsubishi Triton GLS SE.

Prior to this I had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, which I was pretty happy with, but the better half wanted a new car so I went car shopping with her (she had an Infiniti QX30 Sport - beautiful car, but not what she really needed..) and got the idea in my head that I needed a new car too. Decided I wanted a ute and just couldn't go past the value for money in the Triton. I ordered it November 2017 and picked it up from the yard in December.

As the "SE" (blackline in other years), it came stock with a rear diff lock and a few black pieces - Flares, rims, rear bumper, front bumper, nudge bar and a few other bits n bobs (a number of which I've since changed out anyway). It was also meant to come with a towbar and tonneau cover but they were out of stock at the time so the dealer took the RRP of those items off of the price for me and we called it quits.

Since purchasing it, I have added (in no particular order...)
  • EFS "Elite" Suspension - Sold as a 40mm lift. Some sites say its 40mm, others say 30mm (EFS site says 30, although I'm sure it used to say 40..). *shrugs* I didn't' measure before/after. It is whatever it is.
  • EFS Adventure Series II Bullbar
  • Kings Domin8r-X winch, with an in-cab control switch mounted in the dash
  • Rhino Rack Pioneer roofrack + backbone mounting
  • TJM snorkel
  • Hankook MT RT003 tires, in 265/75R17 - still on the stock rims. Very happy with these tires!
  • Cheapie Oricom UHF in cab
  • Ironman rear protection bar
  • Boo's bash plates (3mm i think, in red. Because red goes faster so I am able to just skip over the rocks safely)
  • Frontrunner Outfitters rock sliders/side steps
  • Portable dual battery mounted in the tub - got a battery on special from Anaconda, stuck it in a powered battery box on special from Autobarn and bob's your uncle! I already had cable run from my main battery to the tub for an anderson plug, so I just added the VSR from a King's dual battery kit to that existing wiring and use that anderson plug to connect & charge the portable battery. I had some perforated aluminium sheet sitting around in the garage so I bent that and secured over one of the wheel arches to put the battery box on top of
  • Custom tub rack
  • Custom dog box in tub
In the near future I am hoping to sell the rear bar and purchase a second hand tray to replace the tub. I am also considering getting a tune/remap, exhaust and iDrive later this year (if the tax man is nice to me...). When I need to replace the current tires I will also probably change the rims out for steelies - my stock alloys have copped a bit of a hammering at the hands of rocks offroad. Other than that, from this point on I think I will just be forever tweaking and making minor changes - all of the major stuff is done and I can't see myself getting rid of this car in the near future.

All in all, I have been very very happy with my Triton. It's done everything I've asked of it without any issues. The only issue I have encountered was my brake discs needing to be skimmed after only ~30,000km, but I put that down mostly to my own lack of care for them offroad (lots of water/mud, no waiting for things to cool down).

I'll update this thread over the next couple of days with a bunch of photos.

Last edited:

Warby

I’ve been a fan of those Grab Me Gear dash organiser zip up cases for a while, but couldn’t bring myself to fork out $30/40 for what I felt was essentially just a pencil case with Velcro on the back..

So.....

Stopped at Officeworks. Bought a $1 pencil case and a $4.55 pack of Velcro adhesive dots.
ACD43876-E685-452A-B484-9D1D13D90D41.jpeg

$5.55 and seems just as good to me hah

Last edited:

Warby

Picked up a fire extinguisher from Bunnings for $20 a couple of weeks back. Cheap insurance IMO.

Fits well behind the UHF on the passenger side of the dash.

FA20C490-912F-4062-BBB4-8991BA5A7E0F.jpeg

Warby

A few random pics...

CBC79505-B28B-44B6-A7F2-955398BFCB6C.jpeg

the in-cab switch for the winch.I haven’t fitted a power switch in the cab, because I keep the winch isolated anyway when not off-road.

428F63CF-AD2B-429F-AAAB-10660B521942.jpeg

Preston Beach for Australia Day

319798AB-980B-4342-9090-C5542833B138.jpeg
Pups in their dog box on Australia Day

1909268F-C804-4CAE-A159-7719336B13B3.jpeg
The mighty Triton.. can’t remember which dam this was

Last edited:

Warby

9BE3230E-A706-42BE-B5D5-D8B3993EE617.jpeg
Mall crawling. I’ve since removed the toolbox between dog box and cab.. I had it made to sit over the top of my wheel arches, below the tub rack, but never really liked the look or practicality of it. It now lives on a shelf in my garage... if anyone wants to buy it, let me know and we can agree on a fair price!

Warby

Heh.. just looking at the pics in that last post again. I had forgotten how badly banana'd my side steps ended up on that trip lol. After that is when I put the sliders on!

Rusty Panels

You look to be pretty well set up to me. I'd say it's "Happy Wife Happy Life" as well as Happy Hounds by the look of it. :D

Warby

You look to be pretty well set up to me. I'd say it's "Happy Wife Happy Life" as well as Happy Hounds by the look of it. :D

Yeah, cheers mate! I'm pretty happy with the old girl... And the ute too.

That dog box was one of the best investments I reckon I've ever made! It's built like a tank - keeps the dogs well secured in the back; keeps the smell, dirt & noise (my Samoyed loves to yap away happily whenever she's in the car) out of the cabin; the dogs seem to enjoy riding in it; and it gives me a lockable secure spot to put stuff if I need to when out & about.

Rusty Panels

Obviously your Missus doesn't see your posts! The main thing is you're happy with the rig. People will allways say you should do this or that but the bottom line is "if it works for you then that's what matters." I reckon you've got a great setup and if the wife's happy too, then all the better. It's great that you can take the dogs too. I've got 2 pooches and my boy (pooch that is) who is the elder never shuts up. It drives me crazy. I put a citronella collar on him to try and stop the barking but he loves the stuff. He thinks it cologne. He learnt pretty quickly that if he barks and turns his head quickly that the citronella won't go up his nose. I love him to bits even though I hate the barking. Happy travels old Mate, Well done!

Griggsy69

Hey Warby, if you are swapping to a tray and getting rid of the tub rack let me know. If not, where did you get it from? I'm looking for something just like it for my MN.

Warby

Hey Warby, if you are swapping to a tray and getting rid of the tub rack let me know. If not, where did you get it from? I'm looking for something just like it for my MN.

I actually sold my tub rack and rear bar in preparation for going to a tray just before this whole isolation thing kicked off! My poor ute looks so naked now haha. Will be getting a tray pretty much as soon as the world goes back to some kind of normal (in particular, when I am confident that I will not be unemployed any time in the near future!).

I had it fabricated by a bloke off of the Perth Triton Club FB page - Brandon Williams. He built my tub rack, dog box and the toolbox I had sitting under the tub rack.

Triton14

Looks good @Warby
What is the constant load on that EFS set up & are you happy with it??

Just one thing though, if you value your partners/passengers legs I would not be putting that fire extinguisher there.
If your in an accident it will crush/smash their legs into a thousand pieces!!

Mine is behind the rear seat.

Warby

Looks good @Warby
What is the constant load on that EFS set up & are you happy with it??

Just one thing though, if you value your partners/passengers legs I would not be putting that fire extinguisher there.
If your in an accident it will crush/smash their legs into a thousand pieces!!

Mine is behind the rear seat.
200kg i think from memory.... could be wrong though.. i probably wouldnt go EFS again. Its not terrible, but other brands seem to give a better ride and better performance at the same price point. Nothing scientific behind that, just a general impression I've had while out wheeling with mates.

Point taken, but I'm comfortable with the extinguisher where it is - If the passenger footwell has been crushed so badly that the extinguisher has become a problem then there are much bigger issues ;) Not saying theres no risk, just to me the benefit of quick/easy access to the extinguisher outweighs the risk of further injury to a passenger in the event of a crash.

I know there are brackets available to mount it under the front of my seat, but I've seen extinguishers come out of brackets enough times over the years (side note: an ABE extinguisher discharging in a troopy while you're driving SUCKS!!) to not be comfortable with putting one there where it could come loose and end up under a pedal while driving.

discomatt

Staff member
Keep in mind fire extinguishers last longer and are recommended to be stored upright not laying down , I also keep one handy in the 4wds, caravan, garage and kitchen

Triton14

Its not about the footwell crushing/moving, its about the person moving into the footwell, even if they are wearing a seatbelt.

Warby

Keep in mind fire extinguishers last longer and are recommended to be stored upright not laying down , I also keep one handy in the 4wds, caravan, garage and kitchen
Yup, aware of that - I take it out and give it a shake at least weekly to ensure that the powder doesn't settle and compact. Limited options for positioning it where it will be quickly accessible (behind my rear seat is not an option - not what I'd consider quickly accessible if I have kids and/or baby seat in there) and secure. None where I could stand it up. If I had a canopy it would be in there instead, but in my tub I am sure it would go walkabouts within days.

Its not about the footwell crushing/moving, its about the person moving into the footwell, even if they are wearing a seatbelt.
Given the size and position in that situation then it's not going to cause a massive further impact. The passenger's leg is to the side of the extinguisher, not in front of it. They might get some additional cuts to the side of their leg, but it's not going to be a game changer.

All that being said though - I would be happy to have it at the side of the rear seat, if it will fit there. It might. I'll have a look today!

Griggsy69

I actually sold my tub rack and rear bar in preparation for going to a tray just before this whole isolation thing kicked off! My poor ute looks so naked now haha. Will be getting a tray pretty much as soon as the world goes back to some kind of normal (in particular, when I am confident that I will not be unemployed any time in the near future!).

I had it fabricated by a bloke off of the Perth Triton Club FB page - Brandon Williams. He built my tub rack, dog box and the toolbox I had sitting under the tub rack.

Thanks mate. In that case I'll look at moving my frontrunner rack down over the tub instead of being on the roof where it makes an incredible amount of noise over 95km/h

Warby

Added a pair of cheapie LED 9" spotties from Supercheap. High beam on this thing is absolute crap so wanted to add more light for a long time and at $99 I couldn't go past these. Cost me an extra $155 for the genuine Mitsubishi driving light harness but that made install super simple so I'm happy

The lights also came with a generic plug and play wiring harness, so if anyone wants that let me know and it's yours for the cost of postage

20200425_172920.jpg

Griggsy69

I was going to get the same but since I've already spent $19K this week on the new ride I just opted for the 22" light bar for $49. Fitted it today no probs and fits perfectly inside the bar loop. Now just need a 44" light bar for the front of the roof rack :). And the two 9" ones for top of the bar loop, and a couple of work lights down the side...:p