2016 D/C Hilux, VERY rough ride - springs?

fritz.hu

I think the best advice has come from CTL when he said to get professional advice. Experimenting with wheels, tyres, shocks, springs, pressures etc can be very expensive with no guarantee of success. Even if you do end up with something that feels good on the road, you may have changed the car's handling from the factory designed understeer to oversteer. That can lead to disaster in an emergency situation if you don't know how to control it.

If you are anywhere near Sydney, I would take the car to Heasman Suspension and Steering.
They have been in business since 1954 and can set up anything from your ute to a Ferrari for the Bathurst 12 hour race.

I would imagine there would be similar companies in other capital cities.
That’s a really good point. Thanks! I’m going to first get the wheels, and if that’s not enough I’ll take it to a professional. I’m OK with getting the wheels because they’re actually original Hilux equipment :) also from a 2016 SR.

Swaggie

2) Your issue is NOT shocks, it is springs and tyres. Good shocks are way more expensive than springs. Adjustable shocks are even more expensive and not suited for a lot of people. They have their place in competition motor sports and for serious four wheel drive nuts but are way overkill for normal road use and the weekend offroad warrior, don’t get caught up in the marketing hype.

They compliment each other, as i already said above I’m not sure whether it would help his situation but it certainly has mine, there’s no hype about it in my case they just work in sand and over The High Country,i think mine were around $200 each which isn’t expensive in my eyes for what you get, my leaves were a lot more....

Professional advice would be a good idea.

cam04

Thanks heaps for all the info! Some replies and questions... please don't laugh too hard, I am a total newbie with 4x4's. This is the first one I've ever had and I have no idea what most things mean!

Genius :D Will do, thanks! I had a look at some pics on the interwebs, these look similar but the ones on the web seem to have the overload springs curved down further. Mine lay nearly flat, and the very bottom leaf seems to curve upward rather than downward?

Yeah, I have to admit I kind of like the look of them (mostly because they're black, not the size) but I'm plenty happy to ditch them if it helps the ride. Hopefully might get a few bucks for them? Tyres are 265/20/50.

I wouldn't know :D this is not just my first 4x4, but my first Toyota. So far I love it but I can see this being true.

Thanks heaps! :) There are a few questions I have from this. You can very safely assume I know nothing! I'm a confident home mechanic, been working on cars for many years, but only ever "normal" cars and the odd Ford Territory.
  1. Do you have any links/examples of such springs? I have no idea what I'm looking for.
  2. What's a "65+ series tyre", and what's "LT"? (I only know of HT, AT and MT)
  3. Do you have any examples/links on the shocks? There are so many - I understand the difference between comfort and heavy duty, but what's gas foam, gas, oil, foamed oil, gassed foam oil, WTF?!
Also thanks for the advice on the fuel usage! I'm aware of the DPF thing, thankfully this one is all up to date on recalls and I only ever drive it longer distances (20km minimum between shut-offs). Last time I had it to the dealer they said they "cleaned the DPF" but I'm not entirely sure if that really makes a difference, given the "300-point safety check!!" value-add mentality these days.

I'm yet to find a decent airbox that takes "ordinary" filters (all I could find were the K&N-type filters, I'd prefer a standard airbox) but in the meantime I did the grease hack. The inside of the airbox is completely dust-free, you can wipe a white-gloved finger around the inside and come up clean :)
Good news on the mechanical side of things. Just a heads up, our high mileage highway utes were the ones giving trouble which is counter intuitive for DPF issues. Cruising at around 80 kph seemed to get the best regen. Higher than that and they couldn’t get hot enough. 18-19 litres per hundred was standard when they were failing.

Springs - places like Fulcrum suspensions have fully developed various 'matched kits' of springs and shocks depending on what your usage is like.

Tyres - I've been told I have no idea about tyres so be careful taking my advice haha. 65 series is the aspect ratio vs the width of the tyre. So if you have a 265/75r16 tyre, the tread is 265mm wide and the sidewall height is 75% of 265 which is 199mm high. 65/70/75 series are the common as muck sizes that commercial vehicles use, and have high enough sidewall profiles to give enough flexibility to maintain a modicum of comfort. I am recommending going back toward a tyre that looks like the SR standard version as an all rounder. Not pretty but functional.

HT, AT, MT - are all available in a p-metric or a light truck fitment (it is called 'extra load' in the HT's), and are constructed differently, LT stands for light truck, and they have heavier carcass construction but also need more air pressure as well, so they are heavier, harder and less forgiving in the ride department. The tradeoff is they are stronger and have better tread depth for off road work.

Finally - I’m not sure if you’ve read any of my old posts about current hiluxs, but we have had our 2015/16 hiluxs replaced by Toyota very recently. Apart from a better interior, the boys are saying they all ride much better than the old utes. I took one for a strap yesterday and have to agree with them, there has been work done and the factory suspension has much improved. The one I drove had maybe 200kg in the back and didn’t look like it needed upgrading at all. To that end, a cheap upgrade for yours would be to go to the nearest ARB or other 4wd store and grab some new OE springs and shocks. They’ll sell it cheap. I have never recommended going OE in my life but it felt pretty sorted so me.
Good luck with it all.

Last edited:

CTL

They compliment each other, as i already said above I’m not sure whether it would help his situation but it certainly has mine, there’s no hype about it in my case they just work in sand and over The High Country,i think mine were around $200 each which isn’t expensive in my eyes for what you get, my leaves were a lot more....
No disagreement from me, I said earlier that springs and shocks should be matched.

The Tough Dog adjustable shocks have 9 settings,the lower setting smooths out my ride in my case,set it to 6 and the brain starts to rattle when empty,load the vehicle up to go camping and it's just right...
The “hype” I spoke of relates to the ability to adjust, not the performance of the shock. How often do you change the shock’s settings? A quality non-adjustable shock will perform exactly the same as quality adjustable shock but if you never adjust them, then you are paying extra (normally) for something you don’t need. Lots of people can conned by the marketing and think they need adjustables when they don’t.

fritz.hu

Hey guys! I finally got my hands on the wheels, after NZ went to its level 2 alert. A few things about them were surprising to me.

First off, they transformed the ride. Yes, it’s still very firm, but a Lexus this ain’t and nor do I expect it to be; you can still feel every little bump but they’re no longer brain-shakingly harsh, I’d go so far as to call it comfortable. I’m happy enough at the moment to not want to do any suspension mods; the difference was that big.

Something else that struck me - the steel wheels and tyres are significantly *lighter* than the alloys, by at least 5kg each!

So, if you’ve got a Hilux with factory wheels and you’re wanting to stick 20’s on, don’t do it. Everything you hate about its ride will only get worse, all for a bit of bling. It’s not worth it. They can look good (IMHO) with just bland steel wheels.

If you’re like me and you bought a Hilux with 20’s on it and you find the ride too harsh, follow the advice of the good people on this forum and go back to factory-size wheels. It’s never going to ride like a Rolls but it’ll be much, much more comfortable.

Thanks guys!

DDDC1F44-F530-4FEC-BD71-47AEF6898ACB.jpeg

fritz.hu

Another little update... I welded up a 160L baffled alloy water tank to sit in the back right on top of the rear axle, to be used when launching and retrieving the boat and kayak for washdowns. Doesn’t take up too much room, and when filled the thing rides just as nice (if not nicer than) a Corolla :)