2016 79 Series Landcruiser & Camper

doveynick

Hi,

So after a few different 4wd setups, why not build my 4wd dream? Over the past 6months this is where we are at...

Engine/ Drive line
NPC Stage 3 Clutch and Flywheel
Diff & Transmission Breathers
Safari Armax 4" Snorkel
K&N AirFilter
Beaudesert 3" exhaust
Dyno Tune/Power Upgrade (This week!)
HPT Oil Catch Can (This week!)

Well after completely frying the clutch on the beach at Straddie whilst rather stuck and having no drive at all, it was time for an upgrade along with a perfect reason to have some power upgrades done aswell!

Tyres & Suspension
285/75/R16 BFG AT's on Standard Cruiser Rims (Would Love 35's but concerns re the insurance cover)
Outback Armour 2" Lift- Custom

I plan to upgrade the rims, I was waiting for the camper trailer to arrive so i can match the wheels.

The Suspension was a journey, whilst I wanted the 79 series to be able to carry a load, tow a heavy trailer, look level and perform off road- I didn't want a rig that that is #back breaking, #missus needs a sports bra, #just came out of a comfortable Prado. Well after explaining exactly that to the selected shop- that was exactly what I got! So after about 200km we had had a enough and went back to the installer... At this point i had thought i was stuck with it. However they (Tough Toys) were amazing, working through my concerns with us whilst talking to Outback Armour to come to a solutions. We ended up with a custom solutionbased on a couple of extra leafs, GU Patrol Shocks and a few other modifications to now have the perfect suspension solution all changed without cost. In summary Outback Armour/Tough Toys were absolutely amazing in the suspension setup for our 79 Series, it performs incredibly on the black stuff and even better on every other type of terrain there is not back bracking, no sports bras and move over that useless prado!

Exterior
Uneek 4x4 Urban Style Bullbar (Powder Coated Grey)
Heavy duty recovery points
12,500lb Winch (Whilst i wanted a Warn Winch- The Dominator will do for now)
LightForce DL230 HTX 70w HID Lights (Opted for these for a clean look rather than a large lightbar)
Bonnet Protector
UHF Aerial- GME
Window Tints (Darkest Legal)
Clearview Mirrors (Painting Door Bracket to colour match this week)
Iornman Side Steps (Powder Coated Grey)
Custom Alloy Tray Colour Matched to Cruiser (MW Toolboxes) Sprayed with Speedliner Coating to match Side Steps & Bullbar
Maxtrax Recovery Tracks (Mounted UnderTray)
69 Litre Water Tank With Pump (Mounted UnderTray)
Lightforce ROK40 Flood Worklights (Mounted under RollBar)
Power Outlets on tray headboard
Toyota Heavy Duty TowBar

I was very certain on the look of the cruiser, i didnt want to have a miss matched/bolted on everything i could find cheap looking cruiser. We spent alot of time making sure that the colours between the bullbar/sidestep/tray were going to match to ensure the cruiser has a nice clean look. Whilst the bullbar dosnt offer as much protection as the models with side bars- panels are not very expensive!

Interior/Electronics
MSA Premium canvas seat covers
Dash Mat (seems to be the norm so I got one too!)
Cruiser Console- Center Console (wish they put carpet on the side so the seat belt buckle didn't rub and make an annoying squeaking noise!)
Uniden UHF unit (with remote handset)
Redarc Tow Pro elite electric brake system
Factory Style switches for compressor & water-pump mounted in dash
Rocker Switches for External lighting mounted in dash
Projector BCDC Dual Battery Controller with 100Ah 2nd battery- Solar input mounted under bonnet for when required
ARB Dual Battery bracket (dont by anything else, the ARB one is the best fit)
ARB under bonnet compressor (Mounted a outlet under the bull bar so the bonnet doesn't need to be opened when using compressor)
Power outlets on headboard and anderson plug to charge the camper (Through Redarch charging unit in Camper)
Alpine Apple Car Play Head unit
Alpine S-Series Speakers Component Front / 6.5" Rear

My Favorite here is the center console- at least i get a couple more cup holders! Closely followed by the Apple Car Play unit- perfect for spotify and the hands-free actually works well.

Future Mods
Minecorp bonnet gas strut kit
Electriconic rust resistance system
Superior Engineering Underbody Guards
GME FM Aerial (the factory one is ugly)
Rear Winch
Sandgrabber floor mats
LED interior light
Dual pillar with boost & EGT
Reversing camera

Camper Trailer

2017 Wildboar Front Folding Razorback Series

We went on a mission to review all of the camper trailers on the market (in fact, im pretty sure we looked at everyone over a couple of days at a show) The wildboar Camper was a standout camper, the attention to detail and upgraded componants compared to the rest really sold it to us plus the owners of the business are amazing to deal with.. a good family feel to the company rather than a business just flogging their campers.

We ended up with upgraded suspension, hitch & jockey wheel completing it to tackle whatever tracks we throw at it.

IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

80lover96gxl

Sounds impressive mate, got any pic's of the set up as im sure members would be keen to check it out.
Edit : pics didn't show up previous time i looked.
Looks very fine indeed, love the custom tray.

Last edited:

mac_man_luke

Damn cruiser clutches. Mines got 20k on it but its not real happy. Quite shuddery and i reckon small amounts of slip on occasions eg going up the hill out of Adelaide on the freeway.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Damn cruiser clutches. Mines got 20k on it but its not real happy. Quite shuddery and i reckon small amounts of slip on occasions eg going up the hill out of Adelaide on the freeway.

That's insane Luke, how can they put such shite clutches in otherwise bombproof mechanicals.
I just did the Pajero (1988) full clutch kit, first time done, and it's on 265k.

doveynick

Terrible things- defiantly go for the NPC clutch and flywheel. Really soft pedal feel and nice to drive.

You should be able to pick one up for $1200 with a flywheel exchange. Excluding labour to install- should take you 4hours

mac_man_luke

Terrible things- defiantly go for the NPC clutch and flywheel. Really soft pedal feel and nice to drive.

You should be able to pick one up for $1200 with a flywheel exchange. Excluding labour to install- should take you 4hours
Yea thats the way i was going to go. Likely pay someone to put it in as i reckon it will be a pain to do on the ground otherwise i would do it myself.

Albynsw

I have 160k on my OEM clutch and it is fine except if I reverse up a hill with a trailer and then it slips.
I will replace it with a HD clutch when the time comes and do a ECU remap

Sean Caulfield

Nice ute mate I love the tray it looks really good. I was reading through the list and it's very similar to mine. Did you end up getting it tuned? How did you go? I had mine done when it had 2000km on it and it's done 17,000 now and it goes in for a new clutch on Monday. Going the NPC1300nm kit with the billet fly wheel which I thinks the same as yours? I notice it slipping when towing the camper. Also got my cruiser consoles centre console coming next week which I am really excited about. Will be nice to be able to rest my arm on the console while driving.

Anything else planned?

doveynick

Nice ute mate I love the tray it looks really good. I was reading through the list and it's very similar to mine. Did you end up getting it tuned? How did you go? I had mine done when it had 2000km on it and it's done 17,000 now and it goes in for a new clutch on Monday. Going the NPC1300nm kit with the billet fly wheel which I thinks the same as yours? I notice it slipping when towing the camper. Also got my cruiser consoles centre console coming next week which I am really excited about. Will be nice to be able to rest my arm on the console while driving.

Anything else planned?

The cruiser console is great! A worthwhile investment. Hopefully will put the chip in next week when they can get dyno time.. am considering an intercooler as well.

Sounds like the same clutch kit, drives like a dream now

Buxter

Here is the old clutch after only 8000km o_O

View attachment 46587 View attachment 46588

I had an NPC clutch fitted about 6 weeks back, and love it !
Highly recommenced !.......Best thing I have ever done.

I tow a 3.5 tonne Van, and was keen to get the old clutch out b4 our next big trip, (up to Normanton, and the Gulf Country)
Had the flywheel ground to remove hot spots, (just had a couple)
The old clutch and pressure plate did not look as bad as the pics you posted, and it's done 180k.
If you chip any Toyota, their clutches are marginal, and will need to be replaced

My only advice to you is forget about the K & N air filter's.
As it was explained to me by many ppl....."more air, more dust", so stick with the paper filter"

Last edited: