2015 Toyota Landcruiser VDJ79 Single cab GXL

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Overtightening of studs is a real issue with them failing . . . eventually.
It can also lead to studs breaking when trying to undo nuts, because the pitches get stretched.
Had it happen on a little town car not long ago, damn tyre places with rattle guns.

mac_man_luke

New tyres on today, got to love the feeling of nice smooth and balanced new tyres :)

IlNIY24.jpg

Albynsw

Looks good, l was meant to order a new set today as well but an out of time
What size did you go with? They look like Toyo's??

Albynsw

Toyo Open country MT 315/75R16. Shop around as i found prices varied by up to $100 a corner.

Good choice, I was going to stick with the Nitto Trail Grappler again as I have been really happy with them although if I can get the Toyos cheaper I will get them as they are very similar and I have had them before as well
Was going to stick with 285/75/16 I think as the brakes and power reduction worries me a bit
Have you noticed the change in power with the bigger rubber?

mac_man_luke

Yea was a toss up between these and the trail grapplers, Toyos were easier to get hold of (size i wanted was out of stock in the nittos and no ETA) and ended up being slightly cheaper too. Definitely a similar tyre.

Power wise only real difference i have noticed is off the line and being too much for 2nd gear but just means ill use 1st now.
RPM reduction at 100-110kph is nice too, bit more than 200rpm.

Brakes are a little worse but not terrible, likely look at a booster upgrade sooner rather than later.

Albynsw

Yea was a toss up between these and the trail grapplers, Toyos were easier to get hold of (size i wanted was out of stock in the nittos and no ETA) and ended up being slightly cheaper too. Definitely a similar tyre.

Power wise only real difference i have noticed is off the line and being too much for 2nd gear but just means ill use 1st now.
RPM reduction at 100-110kph is nice too, bit more than 200rpm.

Brakes are a little worse but not terrible, likely look at a booster upgrade sooner rather than later.

Dam you Luke, you are making me think about 35's now :)
I was thinking brake booster, clutch and chip before 35's but.......

mac_man_luke

Had my wheel alignment rechecked yesterday after not being 100% happy (wheel was sitting a bit left hand down going straight)
They found my drag link is slightly bent so got to look at replacing it. Any suggestions for a HD version?
Looks like Roadsafe is about $220 (hollow HD), superior have two - hollow hd $300 or solid comp $350.

Today i finally got around to sound deadening the roof, not too bad of a job and knocked it off in a few hours.

Before:
L9rx98o.jpg

After:
Ll0SiW2.jpg

Deccas

what deadener did you use and how many packets? also where did you pick up your xr seats? so far you have been doing exactly what im wanting to do with mine haha. the rig is looking bloody great

mac_man_luke

what deadener did you use and how many packets? also where did you pick up your xr seats? so far you have been doing exactly what im wanting to do with mine haha. the rig is looking bloody great

I used Focal BAM, its deadener with closed cell foam so slightly better at sound insulation. I used exactly 2 boxes for the whole cab.

Seats i got from Athol Park Wreckers and brackets from huracan fabrication

Deccas

I used Focal BAM, its deadener with closed cell foam so slightly better at sound insulation. I used exactly 2 boxes for the whole cab.

Seats i got from Athol Park Wreckers and brackets from huracan fabrication

did you do the firewall aswell and how quiet has it turned out?

discomatt

Hi Luke, can you do me a favour and measure the total height of your 79, I need to know to the highest point so I can work out if they would work for me as a work horse that I can park in city car parks.
Cheers Mate