2015 Colorado oil usage

that is an expected compromise in some modern engines as a trade off for much improved fuel economy.
the problem here is john does not know what he is talking about on this matter he is just speculating.
most of his videos are ok but he does have a few where he is clueless and the issue with the 2014 to 2016 models is one where he is totally clueless.
if you dig into the mechanical side of why some of the engines chew oil its because of an error during the manufacturing process of the engine block and nothing to do with fuel economy.
a common rundown of the problem engine is it is fine at the start and then once the rings have seated the oil begins to drop and at around 30,000km the oil usage is normally over 2 liters per 10,000km.
the consumption will go up as the kms go up so at 200,000km what will the usage be?

the exact same engines in other years and in the same year range that do not have this defect in the block don't use the oil but have the same fuel economy so you can clearly see it has nothing to do with that and poor old john just did not work this one out.

the only proper fix is to change out the core of the engine and that is normally the block and the head and they will reuse a lot of the old gear that is bolted on.
this is why holden is doing what ever they can to ignore the issue or band aid fix it with thicker oils to get out of the warranty period because its costly to replace the engines.
some people have had refunds or replacements on the entire vehicle, if you have an oil burner I would be fighting for a new engine if you plan to keep the vehicle over 100,000km.

discomatt

Hi every one . Ive just had word that holden are going to replace my engine. For those that have had this pleasure id like to ask a couple of questions.
How do you know they are not putting another faulty engine in . If its another 2014 /15 /16 is it just pot luck ? Maybe a vin number to verify the year?
What warranty have people been given on the new engine ? . My car is still under warranty for another year anyway so I'm guessing that will cover it .
Has any one had more than one faulty engine ? I would not be surprised . Thanks again to every one for detailed info posted here . Cheers WHAT IS THE ACCC DOING ?
I went through all this years ago with Holden, new engine at 20,000km, idle problems as soon as I got it back, back to stealer dozens of times, another engine at 35000km still idle issues, worse fuel consumption still used oil sold the car at 60,000.
Holden are lying thieving dogs, simple as that

mine went in for a new engine at 30,000km and has been fine since.
I am lucky to have a really good dealer so as soon as I mentioned it was using oil they just did the paperwork for the engine change none of that consumption test crap.
its a small dealer in a small country town so they value the customers, it seems those big flashy dealers of any make just treat the customer like crap once they have purchased a vehicle.

most people with the oil issue are having problems at the dealer level, all that screwing around with consumption tests and the "not meeting the acceptable usage level".
if the dealer writes up the request/paperwork for the new engine it gets approved by gm and changed and its as simple as that, getting the dealer to do that is another story.

these days Toyota, ford, holden, vw, Nissan and the rest all seem to treat the customers like crap and our government is asleep at the wheel on the issue.

Albynsw

mine went in for a new engine at 30,000km and has been fine since.
I am lucky to have a really good dealer so as soon as I mentioned it was using oil they just did the paperwork for the engine change none of that consumption test crap.
its a small dealer in a small country town so they value the customers, it seems those big flashy dealers of any make just treat the customer like crap once they have purchased a vehicle.

most people with the oil issue are having problems at the dealer level, all that screwing around with consumption tests and the "not meeting the acceptable usage level".
if the dealer writes up the request/paperwork for the new engine it gets approved by gm and changed and its as simple as that, getting the dealer to do that is another story.

these days Toyota, ford, holden, vw, Nissan and the rest all seem to treat the customers like crap and our government is asleep at the wheel on the issue.
I am pretty sure the dealer does not get to make the call and have to refer the approval to head office
Remember most dealerships are only franchises

I am pretty sure the dealer does not get to make the call and have to refer the approval to head office
Remember most dealerships are only franchises
that's exactly what I just said.
holden the parent company will replace the engines under warranty when the dealer writes up the request for the replacement.

the "head office" as you call it does not come and inspect the vehicle they rely on the dealer to inspect the vehicle and submit the request for the warranty repair.
the problem most people have is the dealer screwing them around with consumption tests and not requesting that the engine gets changed.
I have seen many reports of people with consumption tests at like 2.3l per 10,000km with the dealer saying that's acceptable while the Colorado next to it uses something like 200ml per 10k.
so the dealer can see there is an issue but it refuses to do the request for a new engine.
some people have reported the oil was filled higher than the full mark on the dipstick when being put through a consumption test.
these are all problems at the dealer level, a good dealer will do the test and see its about 2.3 to 2.5 and say yeah its one of the ones that's a "known issue" and write up the paper work with the values needed to have it changed and keep the customer happy.

just join the oil burners facebook group and you will see the crap the dealers are pulling before "head office" even knows there is a problem with that customers vehicle.

Albynsw

holden the parent company will replace the engines under warranty when the dealer writes up the request for the replacement.

the "head office" as you call it does not come and inspect the vehicle they rely on the dealer to inspect the vehicle and submit the request for the warranty repair.
the problem most people have is the dealer screwing them around with consumption tests and not requesting that the engine gets changed.
I have seen many reports of people with consumption tests at like 2.3l per 10,000km with the dealer saying that's acceptable while the Colorado next to it uses something like 200ml per 10k.
so the dealer can see there is an issue but it refuses to do the request for a new engine.
some people have reported the oil was filled higher than the full mark on the dipstick when being put through a consumption test.
these are all problems at the dealer level, a good dealer will do the test and see its about 2.3 to 2.5 and say yeah its one of the ones that's a "known issue" and write up the paper work with the values needed to have it changed and keep the customer happy.

just join the oil burners facebook group and you will see the crap the dealers are pulling before "head office" even knows there is a problem with that customers vehicle.
Yes but you can’t just walk into a dealer and say my car is using oil and they write up a request to put a new motor in
They still have to substantiate the claim which can mean consumption tests
In general some dealers are adverse to doing warranty work as they don’t make as much money out of it as servicing other dealerships love it

Yes but you can’t just walk into a dealer and say my car is using oil and they write up a request to put a new motor in
actually you can.

if you read what I posted
I did that exact thing I went to my dealer and said my dipstick is dry and its only done 5000km since the last service so its using oil and they said no worries we will write it up and send it through and it will take about 2 to 3 weeks for us to get the engine and book you in and it will take roughly a week to do the job.
4 weeks later my Colorado had a new engine without a single test being performed, they even gave me a nice new 2017/18 collie to drive for the week while they had mine, like I said a good dealer.

basically the dealer can order a repair on any vehicle that is under warranty without a single test if they like, all they have to do is submit the request to holden.

don't get me wrong I am not defending holden in any way I am just pointing out a lot of people are getting wrecked by the dealer and not even getting in contact with holden.
the people that have contacted holden or "gone over the dealers head" have had engines replaced and even refunds or replacements on the entire vehicle because they didn't let the dealer level bullcrap deter them from fighting for a resolution.

SomeCant you do have a great dealership to work with. Sadly most of us with the oil issue have had to push a bit harder to get some action .
As you have said the auto industry is long overdue for a shake up when it comes to consumer rights. I still think this should have been a recall issue by Holden, the very fact that they continued to sell these vehicles even after they were aware there was a problem would seem to indicate they have little regard for the end user.

That aside i have been very happy with my collie overall and since the new engine has been fitted the oil problem is no more. So i guess that can be counted as a win.

They should have done a recall i agree but big companies these days just dont give a crap its all about profits to them not service or quality.
Just look at one of the biggest in the world "apple" and the way they treat the customer like crap and knowingly sell products that are prone to fail after a short time and then the "right to repair" movement fighting apple to repair the products, its a massive flustercuck.

I am happy with my collie too the new engine i look at as a bonus(less km on the engine).
I am now just waiting to see how long before i have one of the other common problems like the alternator bearing or diff seals or maybe even the leaking plug at the back of the head.
My warranty expires soon but my dealer said i can extend the factory one so i am looking into that soon.

I have been through the oil consumption test for the second time and have been given a very similar response to the oil usage. One thing I didn’t do until today, 2 weeks post testing, was check the oil. About 1250 is have past and the oil is above the full mark, have to wonder how stupid the dealership thinks consumers are.
I will take your advice and watch the oil burners, just to gather some more info, don’t see this situation getting any better unless you push. Thanks for the information.