2015 Colorado oil usage

Just had my third scheduled service on my16 Colorado 7 trailblazer and I see they've replaced the oil cap with a new one. previous one ended in a 30 this one ends a 40

Yep i think it is a general across the board replacement. Probably the lawyers have told them they need to make the change to all if they want to pretend that there is no problem with the faulty batch. I also received the new improved oil cap with my last service.

With the rorts that have been exposed in the current banking enquiry one can only imagine what they would find if there was ever an enquiry into the automotive industry. o_O

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Looks like Holden has found a couple that needed help and do you think they may be able to help any other disgruntled Colorado owners?
I make no opinion personally on this as I own an old Troopy just turning over 400,000 k's which uses a bit of oil. Just returned from a three week Tassie trip, towing a small van over some big mountains, hills, into strong winds, driving up to 100 to 110 k's at times , around 2000 k's plus and, damn I used 300 mil of oil. Usually in normal driving around town I use maybe the same amount over 10,000 k's.

Last edited:

BlueCollie

Looks like Holden has found a couple that needed help and do you think they may be able to help any other disgruntled Colorado owners?
I make no opinion personally on this as I own an old Troopy just turning over 400,000 k's which uses a bit of oil. Just returned from a three week Tassie trip, towing a small van over some big mountains, hills, into strong winds, driving up to 100 to 110 k's at times , around 2000 k's plus and, damn I used 300 mil of oil. Usually in normal driving around town I use maybe the same amount over 10,000 k's.
Interesting vid and hopefully Holden will get sorted out by the ACCC as Ford have just had happen with their faulty gearboxes.

I think finding a conspiracy with the donated cars to the council and police is reaching a bit but as a takeaway point attach your signage to your car rather than leave it on the ground and you should be fine? I don't understand why he doesn't have it tied onto his canopy all the time.

I must say that the vehicle does drive differently with this new engine, for the better! There was a lag on taking off with the old one, this one just digs in and goes.
mines getting changed now and I hope I get the same result because mine lagged really bad too.
it was that bad it was dangerous when crossing a hwy because you would put the boot in and it would just sit there and not go then 2 seconds later respond, I have never in my life experienced throttle lag that bad.

Lovey

I must say that I've never had a problem with oil usage in my Colorado (Mar 2015), but I've always used 10W40 oil. Maybe mine was a 'Wednesday' engine :D:D:D.

GM's fix is to use a thicker oil so you go past the warranty period then its your problem.
so by using 10w40 you might have shot your self in the foot because if there is a consumption issue with your engine and you mask it now with a thicker oil it will get worse over time because its a defect with the engine, that's why they have to replace the whole thing.

the defective engine range is the 2.8L LWN 2014 to 2016 and from what I have seen a lot of the people that have had issues have the 2015.

I got mine back today with a new engine in it and strange enough it has the 5w30 oil cap and normal(original) dipstick, the engine does feel more responsive.
with the 5w30 oil cap on the new engine it clearly shows that they only use the thicker oil in the defective range as a blanket fix to ride out the warranty, I am so glad I caught onto mine doing it before my warranty expired, I had 8 months left :O

I think it may just be an oversight that they did not fit the new oil cap. My new engine also came with the 5/30 cap but it was replaced when the vehicle went in for the next scheduled service.

its possible it was an oversight but its also very possible when yours went back in for the service they followed the service schedule for the 2014~2016 models and checked the oil cap to find it was 5w30 and changed it to 5w40 as defined in the service update released by gm.

I have to take mine back in for a check in a month/1000km so I will ask what oil I should use and ask about the cap because according to the service update its only the 2014~2016 engines so 2013 and below and 2017 and up should still have the 5w30 cap and use 5w30 oil and my new engine shouldn't be one of the problem ones so it should go back to the original spec unless they changed it on all of them just incase lol
I will ask the guy anyway and see what he has to say about it.

spoke to the guy today and he said they put 5w40 in all of the colorados new and old, he said I could use 5w30 if I wanted to but they use 5w40 now.

so what is the length difference between old and new dipsticks ? my car lags on takeoff , i have to pre empt when I'm going to go !! After another 10,000 with thicker oil my dipstick will be dry again .Going to see dealer very soon ................

not sure about the length but here is the info from the service bulletin

and yes that lag on takeoff is annoying I noticed the same thing you have to kind of decide 1 to 2 seconds before you want to go to press the accelerator.
its not as bad with this new engine but there is still a lag and even the new 2017/18 Colorado has it so in 6 months when my warranty is up im taking it to streetquick and getting a remap which will remove it and give more power

Hi every one . Ive just had word that holden are going to replace my engine. For those that have had this pleasure id like to ask a couple of questions.
How do you know they are not putting another faulty engine in . If its another 2014 /15 /16 is it just pot luck ? Maybe a vin number to verify the year?
What warranty have people been given on the new engine ? . My car is still under warranty for another year anyway so I'm guessing that will cover it .
Has any one had more than one faulty engine ? I would not be surprised . Thanks again to every one for detailed info posted here . Cheers WHAT IS THE ACCC DOING ?

dno67

Was talking with someone a few days ago about this, seems most people
are selling the vehicle shortly after to avoid it happening again.

dno67

Car manufacturers are doing it just fine to you, ole mate was saying in the conversation his mechanic recon's 40k and it'll be rooted again. Seems it's
inherent to the design.
"How comfortable are you selling a problem on to others?"
I don't have one to off load, but it's seem's it's becoming common knowledge
so I guess it will come down the individual, "caveat ēmptor" comes to mind.
I've owned a few shit boxes in my life. Know-one warned me, there was no
google and I just had to take a hit $$$ wise or find another bunny.
Little comfort, but I can't see it being much different to some of the toyota
issue's and how it may effect there resales.

Colly18

I'm not sure the problem is as huge as being suggested by some(?) I went through this issue 12 months ago with my MY2014 Colorado when purchased second hand with 48,000km on the clock. For the first few thousand km it was using oil at a rate of knots. A search of the internet and noticing some stories about excessive oil consumption I had the matter looked into under s/h warranty. Oil was changed using Dexos 2 spec Penrite Eco full synthetic 5W40 and it never lost/used any oil from there on. At the next service I refilled with Nulon 5W30 Dexos 2 approved sull synthetic oil and it appears to not be using oil, now at 70,000 km on the clock. I figure someone just put the wrong oil in the vehicle prior to me taking ownership.
Yes, GMH did change my oil filler cap from 5W30 to a 5W40 one and they would have done that for a reason (possibly because the thicker oil at operating temp does reduce oil consumption in these 2.8 Duramax diesel engines? and probably in response to consumer complaints?). However, I think a bit of oil use between services is acceptable, considering the arguments in the following (which make sense to me); that is an expected compromise in some modern engines as a trade off for much improved fuel economy.