2015 Colorado oil usage

Hi all,

My 2015 Collie has been using a bit of oil of late. Holden have run an oil consumption test and have found the car to be using 1.7 litres of oil per 10,000km. They also tell me, they don't deem there to be an issue until the car uses at least 2 litres of oil per 10,000km.

What are your thoughts?

Why would a car that's running correctly use any oil?

Cheers,
Tim.

discomatt

Because Holden think that running a 4 stroke engine can use the same as a 2 stroke, I had the same issue with a crapper Rodeo a few years back, they told me 2.5L / 10,000 was OK, that car was sold at 60,000km on its 3rd engine and still nothing but trouble and had been back to the stealer over 20 times in 3 years

muc the truck

My Colorado used about the same amount of oil if its working hard wen it was new but I have the Isuzu engine , I didn't report it as I considered the load it had on board with a 2.7mtr canopy enough wind resistance with maximum pay, load . I have noticed that now utes done just over 100,000 kms I don't need to top up the oil in between services at all unless its working hard . If I tow something big and heavy I am back to toping up oil again . This I consider perfectly normal . Any one towing a van will use oil to some extent in any 4x4 on the market . Its impossible not too as rings have ring gaps .

Unless you were giving it a hard time I'd be very unhappy with that. It'd mean you should be topping the fluid up at least 3 times in between services?

Aaron

muc the truck

Unless you were giving it a hard time I'd be very unhappy with that. It'd mean you should be topping the fluid up at least 3 times in between services?

Aaron
And there lay problems . Some people think towing a caravan around and never reaching 90kms per hour is not giving it a hard time while others will say it was doing hard labour like it is . I am not saying the OP is towing as we don't know. But in the past people have beat up a car for over heating issues or oil consumption only to find out the big vans hidden back at a van park . I have done blow by tests on big diesels to check for oil consumption and on one occasion it passed with flying colours , so we take a unexpected trip out to see antoehr job and then see the rig pulling 3 trailers of wet sand around when apparently it only ever towed a single trailer.

Collie14

I have a similar problem, ended up have a slight crack in the rocker cover. After about 30,000k the oil usage is meant to reduce, I never noticed it as there was a slight leak, after Holden fixed it, oil seeems to be there.
They still did an oil consumption test while I had a leak and I used 2lts in 4000k, even though I was telling them I had a leak. Sometimes I wonder how people are in the industry they are in.
1.7 isn't that bad but only having 5.7 lts in the sump can turn into a problem.
Keep pushing the issue with Holden, took me over a year to get mine sorted, they take their time.

muc the truck

I have a similar problem, ended up have a slight crack in the rocker cover. After about 30,000k the oil usage is meant to reduce, I never noticed it as there was a slight leak, after Holden fixed it, oil seeems to be there.
They still did an oil consumption test while I had a leak and I used 2lts in 4000k, even though I was telling them I had a leak. Sometimes I wonder how people are in the industry they are in.
1.7 isn't that bad but only having 5.7 lts in the sump can turn into a problem.
Keep pushing the issue with Holden, took me over a year to get mine sorted, they take their time.
I actually think Holden employ the right person . Because holde have a history of being pricks at denying warranty work until you prove you now as much as they.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
@SlimTim can you confirm if you're putting the collie under any more load towing etc ?
People are trying to work through this with you.

Personally feel that 1.7lt, certainly 2.0lt as Holden says is complete BS buck passing poor excuse of an explanation.
None of my vehicles needs topping up between 10k services at all, apart from in the past old knockabouts with small leaks here and there that might need 500mls now and then.

The Ranger has never needed a top off at all since 2011 purchased new, the catch can takes about 150 to 200 mls per 10k, and that is hardly a register in the dipstick, well within upper and lower levels.

Maybe install a catch can and see how much this takes up, if near the 1.7lt (170mls per 1000km) at least you know it's blow by at least.
If you don't have any leaks there's not many other places it can go !

You didn't mention how many km, but assume '15 vintage this can't be too excessive.

@SlimTim can you confirm if you're putting the collie under any more load towing etc ?
People are trying to work through this with you.

Personally feel that 1.7lt, certainly 2.0lt as Holden says is complete BS buck passing poor excuse of an explanation.
None of my vehicles needs topping up between 10k services at all, apart from in the past old knockabouts with small leaks here and there that might need 500mls now and then.

The Ranger has never needed a top off at all since 2011 purchased new, the catch can takes about 150 to 200 mls per 10k, and that is hardly a register in the dipstick, well within upper and lower levels.

Maybe install a catch can and see how much this takes up, if near the 1.7lt (170mls per 1000km) at least you know it's blow by at least.
If you don't have any leaks there's not many other places it can go !

You didn't mention how many km, but assume '15 vintage this can't be too excessive.
Hi Les,

I'm not putting the car under any load expect for driving around town and a little easy to moderate 4 wheeling and camping on the weekends. The car has 35,000km's on it. Is a catch can relatively easy to install? Could the oil be used by the turbo somehow? There are definitely no leaks. Holden and myself have been over it pretty thoroughly.

Looking around on some other forums and comments sections it appears its s pretty common problem.

My Colorado used about the same amount of oil if its working hard wen it was new but I have the Isuzu engine , I didn't report it as I considered the load it had on board with a 2.7mtr canopy enough wind resistance with maximum pay, load . I have noticed that now utes done just over 100,000 kms I don't need to top up the oil in between services at all unless its working hard . If I tow something big and heavy I am back to toping up oil again . This I consider perfectly normal . Any one towing a van will use oil to some extent in any 4x4 on the market . Its impossible not too as rings have ring gaps .
Hi muc,

Thanks for the info. Doesn't the 2015 collie also have the isuzu duramax engine?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
@SlimTim muc or other might share more on this, but relatively sure turbo is self sufficient with lube etc, so taking the oil out of the turbo / intercooler system can only be a good thing.

If you are using excessive oil through this pcv system then your intercooler might get be condensing the blow by oil mist somewhat as it passes through there, and this could lead to ever clogged and reducing intercooler performance too, as well as intake manifold / egr gas recirculation slowly choking the manifold ports up.

Easy to fit a good provent 200 catch can, search this forum, I and many others have posted threads about this, with pics and all.

@SlimTim muc or other might share more on this, but relatively sure turbo is self sufficient with lube etc, so taking the oil out of the turbo / intercooler system can only be a good thing.

If you are using excessive oil through this pcv system then your intercooler might get be condensing the blow by oil mist somewhat as it passes through there, and this could lead to ever clogged and reducing intercooler performance too, as well as intake manifold / egr gas recirculation slowly choking the manifold ports up.

Easy to fit a good provent 200 catch can, search this forum, I and many others have posted threads about this, with pics and all.
Thanks Les.

I'll have a look now.

Cheers,

muc the truck

Warning . I do not advise the use of a catch can while disputing with Holden or any other manufacture . Yes it would prove were the oil is going but they then can turn around and say your catch can is restrictive and cause problems as most catch cans are restrictive (prudent type are good and expensive ). Workshops have a spread sheet that loops back to the customers mods as the blame period. Until this problem is settled do not modify anything on the engine at all . Don't even fit a non genuine oil filter or air cleaner . Have it serviced only by holden . Do not do anything that can be in some way turned around to blame you for .

Warranty work is difficult to obtain . 2 reasons . The dealers get paid a very low rate for all warranty repairs compared to hourly rate they would normal charge customers and they do not make mark up on parts used so in essence they loose a lot of money doing warranty work , they would love to just charge a customer as if it was there fault every time .

Last edited:
Warning . I do not advise the use of a catch can while disputing with Holden or any other manufacture . Yes it would prove were the oil is going but they then can turn around and say you catch can is restrictive and cause problems as most catch cans are restrictive (prudent type are good and expensive ). Workshops have a spread sheet that loops back to the customers mods as the blame period. Until this problem is settled do not modify anything on the engine at all . Don't even fit a non genuine oil filter or air cleaner . Have it serviced only by holden .
Thanks again muc,

I was thinking something like that might be the case. Particularly because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing ;)

Thus far Holden are the only ones that have touched the car. I have free servicing for the first 100,000km so they'll probably be the only ones touching the car for a while.

Cheers,

muc the truck

Thanks again muc,

I was thinking something like that might be the case. Particularly because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing ;)

Thus far Holden are the only ones that have touched the car. I have free servicing for the first 100,000km so they'll probably be the only ones touching the car for a while.

Cheers,
Get your self a UV paint pen and a Uv torch and mark all service items like dif bungs, tcase bungs , wheel nuts etc prior to each service . One thing you need to be able to do is prove they have been doing the service correctly or not . Learn whats to be done on each service by carefully looking at your service book check sheet in your owners book. I used a scribe on Townsville Holden and they did my first service free but it was a tick and flick , later that day I collected my car after it was done for a second after I announced I had caught them out , this time properly but with a dent in the bonnet . it was a fight getting a new bonnet and after six months they pulled a bonnet off a freshly delivered car and put my old one on a new 2010 Colorado , had it panted and sold the car with a old bonnet bogged up. Since then the service manager has been replaced so I imagine things are a little different but with what I keep hearing about Holden overall they require improvement .

Get your self a UV paint pen and a Uv torch and mark all service items like dif bungs, tcase bungs , wheel nuts etc prior to each service . One thing you need to be able to do is prove they have been doing the service correctly or not . Learn whats to be done on each service by carefully looking at your service book check sheet in your owners book. I used a scribe on Townsville Holden and they did my first service free but it was a tick and flick , later that day I collected my car after it was done for a second after I announced I had caught them out , this time properly but with a dent in the bonnet . it was a fight getting a new bonnet and after six months they pulled a bonnet off a freshly delivered car and put my old one on a new 2010 Colorado , had it panted and sold the car with a old bonnet bogged up. Since then the service manager has been replaced so I imagine things are a little different but with what I keep hearing about Holden overall they require improvement .
Oh shit!

Is it really that bad? Ok. That's easy enough for me to do. I must be really naive.

If I do catch them "ticking and flicking" I'll be contacting the ol' ACCC and taking it way further.

discomatt

Its not just "stealerships" that do dodgy service work, I have seen workshops that wipe oil filters clean and just leave the old one on.
I caught a workshop I had booked my car in for a transmission service that didn't even remove the oil pan let alone replace the filter, all they did was dump a litre of oil and top it up again and handed me a bill for $250.00, needless to say I drove my car out and refused to pay a cent and told them to chase me in court if they were game