Change background image

2011 Pajero NW (Round 2)

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by underdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. underdog

underdog Well-Known Member

Now that I've finally got myself another 4wd I can start the slow build process again. This one starts almost completely stock, but with the crappy factory bullbar and towbar. I bought it in Perth and drove the 4000+km home to Newcastle in less than 4days.

2011 Mitsubishi Pajero NW GL
    Auto 3.2L Turbo Diesel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

#Fajero

underdog, Toddyh and bugsy like this.
  3. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Nice work.
    Good run for it driving it home to aquaint yourself with the new bus.
    Hope the new faj serves you well.

underdog likes this.
  4. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

does this work ?
    ;)

underdog and Gavo like this.
  5. bugsy

bugsy Well-Known Member

Good to see you back champ congratulations on the new fagero look forward to having a wheel sometime in the near future cheers

underdog likes this.
  6. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

First and cheapest mod.... paint those wheels?

underdog and bugsy like this.
  7. abw

abw Well-Known Member

Great to see you back on the road mate! You'll need to change the badge to Fajero of course.

underdog and Toddyh like this.
  8. 03hilux

03hilux 4x4 Earth Contributer

Nice shake down run Ian. How was the fuel economy?

underdog likes this.
  9. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

Perth to Newcastle, great drive, lots of thinking time buy yourself, so why Perth, good deal on the car ?

underdog and Gavo like this.
  10. eman

eman Active Member

New Faj looks good mate! Hope the drive back was hassle-free. When can we expect to see her a bit dirty???

underdog likes this.
  11. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

I am told these trucks have the best traction control system on the market. Should be a great rig once built up

underdog likes this.
  12. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

Bugga; you could have brought my engel back with you. Next time :rolleyes:. But what's this 4 days stuff. 48 hours perth to goondi in the Hj ute all those years ago :eek: And no speeding just young and dumb No, wouldn't do that again.
    Good luck with "the build". I had one of the original pajeros, $17,500 new from Gladstone Qld and I wouldn't knock back another
    after watching PatC for the past 3 weeks I'm not sure how much we need to do to 4x4s.

underdog likes this.
  13. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

You back in town yet Ian? Also, did you manage to keep any goodies off your old truck?

underdog likes this.
  14. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Nice, clean looking 4WD. Also keen to know whether it was a good deal in Perth; normally its the other way around!

Aaron

underdog likes this.
  15. underdog

Yeah quite familiar with it now; successfully dodged a few big roos at speeds that were not optimal for that kind of manoeuvring and made it out in one piece so we're pretty much best pals now, haha.
    That was painful to watch :|
    Yeah mate, don't think I've ever been so keen to do any one thing! And I'm off to Thailand on a paid working trip in a few days, haha, so you can grasp how keen that really is!
    Maybe, I really don't think the steelies can be saved though, haha. I might just aim for a deal on sunraysias when I purchase tyres? I think the wheel offset must've been lower on the first pajero and I preferred how that handled/looked.
    Thanks mate; I had planned to do that on the first pajero, but I think I might just completely de-badge this one.
    Haven't done the exact math yet but it was in the rough vicinity of 11-12L/100km, which I'm pretty happy with when you consider it's a diesel and I spent most of the trip cruising above 3000rpm..
    Took the girlfriend along with me, she did at least 4hrs each morning before beginning her usual hibernatiom cycle haha. As for the deal, this one was least $5k+ cheaper than anything I could find here or in qld and with half the milage at the same price. Had only done 68,000km. For comparison, I paid $1k less for this pajero than I did the first one and this pajero has done 80,000km less and is an NW. No extra goodies at all but that's ok as I can find a bargain on pretty much anything.
    I'll be back in Aus mid-December and hope to have achieved the dual batteries, lift and tyres before Christmas. Might make a short trip down to Victoria to visit friends for NYE. So maybe then? Hopefully it won't be too long.
    I can't speak highly enough of the traction control in the pajero's mate, but after my last trip.. I think I'll be aiming for twin-locked this time round :/ My first pajero was exactly that; a great rig. Hopefully I'll only improve on that this time round. I was more than happy with the pajero, hence why I bought another one :D
    I did 26hrs straight earlier in the year and I get even less sleep now than I was back then. I know my limits. As for the build, I only add what I'll use. I'll take function over form anyday.. unless it's particularly ugly of course, haha.
    Yeah mate, been working all day everyday since I got back. Didn't really get to keep anything substantial as it was all part of the weird deal I made with the insurance. The one item they did let me keep was the awning (which I do believe is still stained red).

16. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

TFS ; new bloke for me :thumbup: (do we need a thumb up smiley?) As for the beep beep beep; we removed the wires from the Kia beeper but that also turned off a few other things; central locking for one :( Lights left on for another :(

17. letsgoplaces

letsgoplaces Active Member

I watched this last year when I was working out what to buy. Still bought one :D and very happy that I did

The traction control is great. Up in The Flinders where a mate had to try hard to get through a washout and up ruts, revs, spinning wheels and got through. I gently went through and he was watching from the track seeing the wheels 'do their thing'. But in sand, switch it off
    The beeping seatbelt alarm is turned off by unplugging one of the plugs under the seat. If that's one of the biggest things that bugs you, and it can be fixed
    Noisy engine? Turn the radio up
    Poor clearance? Like every other 4wd on the road that gets used for its purpose, chuck on a 2inch lift, go up a profile with the tyres
    That video to me, was a bit of a backhanded compliment

Cheers
    John

18. underdog

Cargo barrier is in.
    Dual batteries are in.
    Separate +/- fuse blocks are in.
    Most of the bash plates are now on.
    And I started the lift kit on the weekend..

The job always start out well organised and with many hands!
    [​IMG]

But doesn't stay that way for long, haha. This champion stuck it out however, never leaving me alone for more than a few minutes at a time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Special shout out to Argenton Automotive Repairs for not only taking my call on Boxing Day, but coming into work on the 27th and spending 1.5hrs helping me get the blasted coils onto the struts (seeing as the spring conpressors I'd sourced were so NOT upto the task). Then the legend only tried to charge me $50!! Needless to say, I gladly paid him a sum more than that. My memory has already stolen his name from me; but I thanked the bloke profusely and am incredibly grateful for his help as I simply could not have done it without him.

Then of course this happened when trying to remove the rear shocks.. :mad::mad::mad: So I just cut the bastard off with the grinder, haha.
    [​IMG]

Suspension complete.
    [​IMG]

The pajero is currently at the tyre shop, and is getting it's windows tinted later today :) Still have to install the transmission bash plate and the roof rack/awning combo yet too. Will leave for Victoria in the morning tomorrow, haha.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  19. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Good one Ian, great seeing you build up another rig, and sounds like work / life is good for you, nice to see.

underdog likes this.
  20. 03hilux

03hilux 4x4 Earth Contributer

Nice work Ian. You have a pattern of working close to a deadline, don't you.:D

underdog and Wang like this.