• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

2010 hoden colorado air-conditioning faulty grrr

muc the truck

today I noticed the air-conditioning to pump out hot air . trouble shooting I found the pressure switch on the drier was not a closed circuit . This is a safety feature to prevent damage with no gas. when its gassed its a closed circuit.

This car has done 50,oookms , its 3 years old , I would not have expected leaks like this especially since most of its driving has been on bitumen and no rough stuff in six months . Its not been driven for 2 months .

Its pretty poor I think . I have a friend with a Holden cruze and here air-conditioning died due to a O-ring at 3.5 years old and lost all gas also . it would not surprise me if mine has the same fault .

has anyone else had the air-conditioning die in a Holden Colorado Yet? Be keen to know it its common.

muc the truck

How come it hasn't been driven in 2 months?
its taken that long for me to build a new try and under tray draw set up with under slung too boxes . When its done its going to get hot dip galvanised . will be making a lift off camper pod too .
was planning to post it when its done .

ross and cher

ours is 4 years and 130,000 klms old and still going strong Muc, Cruve is 3.5 years and 60,000ks and ditto, but please don't jinx me now ;)

muc the truck

I hade a few quotes one was just pure theft. the vehicle has 55,000 kms on it .
he wanted to rebuild the clutch fan , replace the belts , idler pully bearing , orings on compressor . remove the drier , clean and flush the system(I thought you only did that if the compressor shat it self) and refit it all back , quoted 588 labour not counting the fan belts and parts wich he guesed would be that again . don't call the largest aircon guy in tsv unless you want the largest bill.

as with the rodeo being a common fault it was 2 simple o rings on the compressor and because the system still had some pressure there was no need to do anything else other than replace o rings and , vac it , regas it, ad a bit of oil . cost me $200. now I have icy cold aircon and this is better than it was from factory .

peterfermtech

I think you will find that automotive air conditioning has very lax specs and is expected to leak gas. The best way to maintain your AC is use it.

Last year I thought that my AC had gone and I got it re gassed. They over gassed it and couldn't drive over 1400 rpm without the AC making terrible noises. All this on a day when the temp didn't drop below 38 C:mad:. Taking it back they dropped the gas back but it seemed like it was out of gas again until I discovered that the fan wasn't working on lower speeds:eek:. Pulled the fan resistor out and found one of the copper tracks burnt out. Quoted $130.00 for new part so soldered a wire accross and has been working fine since.:D

regards

muc the truck

I think you will find that automotive air conditioning has very lax specs and is expected to leak gas. The best way to maintain your AC is use it.

Last year I thought that my AC had gone and I got it re gassed. They over gassed it and couldn't drive over 1400 rpm without the AC making terrible noises. All this on a day when the temp didn't drop below 38 C:mad:. Taking it back they dropped the gas back but it seemed like it was out of gas again until I discovered that the fan wasn't working on lower speeds:eek:. Pulled the fan resistor out and found one of the copper tracks burnt out. Quoted $130.00 for new part so soldered a wire accross and has been working fine since.:D

regards
we use it every day, but the leak happened when we stoped driving it for a couple of months while I was making the tray and slide on camper. what I don't like about it is the orings are clamped by one bolt on only one side . to me that's like having a head gasket bolted down with bolts only on one side . its bound to fail imo