2010 Annual meet-up

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I had been looking at going up to Waraweena Conservation Park in the Flinders Ranges at some stage, looks like a lot of good rock country 4wding up there, it is a private park with fees payable, but isn't all the good wheeling in SA?

Jacked Surf

I would be interested anywhere. as long as we give plenty of notice.

Always wanted to go to Tassie if anyone wants to organise a tassie trip next year some time.

Tassie looked good on that last 4x4 show i saw it on.
But would need plenty of notice to save plenty up for the boat ride/fuel/breakages as well as other expenses.

Theres a link to the costing for 4x4 vehicles & vehicles towing caravans, and also applys to most 4x4's as they are over 2m wide. :(

Mine measures in wheel to wheel at 2.3m's

Spirit of Tasmania - Non Standard Car

A 'standard car' is a normal passenger car, people mover, 4-wheel-drive or ute up to a maximum overall length of 5 metres long and no wider than 2 metres (Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon, Tarago, Toyota Landcruiser or similar style of vehicles are the largest that may be booked under this classification). Vehicles with a height of more than 2.1 metres cannot be booked online. To book, call 1800 634 906.

Spirit of Tasmania - Standard Car

Thats if you don't have flares and wide profile tyres. Mine Exceeds that height with the roof racks on as well which sucks.

Passenger Fares
Spirit of Tasmania - Passenger Fares

Last edited:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Jacked Surf,
Just read a thread today that mentions someone doing a trip from Brisbane to Tassie next year - maybe you guys could meetup in Melbourne. We did Tassie a few years ago in the Winter - great time but should have taken chains - thought about it but they cost heaps from Adelaide to hire and knew no one with any to borrow. Check out the West coast of Tassie - that's where there's fun everywhere you look - plenty of Mud. Oh that's the other thing - we had on A/T's not much good for the heavy wet forest tracks. We will be back with Muddy's next time.

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
There's also the Nth East VIC National parks eg. Wyperfield (Big Desert etc) the boarder track. Where's Millsy? He could be a leader for this with his extensive knowledge.

Must admit reading his trip report recently has put them on our list of must visit.

Patriot

Administrator
Cripes!There is a lot of discussion about this one.

I agree with the idea of each state trying organise an 'Iconic' trip and getting as many people as possible to tag along, but also think that it is really good to try to organise something that we can try to get as many people as possible to come along to.

For us the great thing was meeting up with the members from NSW and QLD, as well as Stocktons. Down in Vic we don't have a lot of opportunity for beach driving.

So - for a National event, we would be looking at either SA or NSW or Ayers Rockish type area. Having said that, we need a place with good facilities and most importantly, some really good 4WD tracks.

That said, I would love a Tassie trip too :)

James

knot_gillty

Cripes!There is a lot of discussion about this one........

.....Having said that, we need a place with good facilities and most importantly, some really good 4WD tracks.

That said, I would love a Tassie trip too :)

James

Well, the boss says Tassie!!!:D:D:rolleyes:;):eek::cool:

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
What about somewhere on the Darling betwen Wilcannia and Burke? I know the local policeman advised me not to take the short-cut to Cairns from Adelaide up that stretch of road in my Commodore. He said it would be further but a whole lot quicker to go down to Cobar and turn left!

So that must say a bit about the tracks out there. I have not done them, but that road is on the list. It is fairly central to four states, and offers plenty of alternative 4x4 tracks for the Vics and South Aussies to choose from if they don't want to just drive up the blacktop through Broken Hill. Not sure about the NSW and Queensland people. Surely there are a few adventures between home and there to experience on the way out. And on the way home.

And there are a couple of nice little country towns to visit along there, from what I have read in one of the magazines - Tilpa and Louth.

Has anyone been out that way? Any good camp sites?

Last edited:

Gunna

Had posted this elsewhere, but may be relevant to this topic as well:confused:

I think each state could hold a trip covering an iconic track, or tracks, over a period of time.
eg; Vic could do something like the Deddick, Blue Rag, Billy Goats Bluff, or even just into Wonnangatta.
The trips could be over a week to cover a decent area-this would help warrant the distance travelled
to get there.
The trips could change from year to year obviously, with hopefully at least one local that knows the
area to be involved.
There is no reason why something like this could not happen every year(maybe not in every state),
there would be no obligation or expectation on amount of vehicles as cost/time is a big factor.
This could be completely separate from annual get togethers, but could intermesh at times with them,
if that makes sense!

Another eg; if the NSW members were to program a week around Bendthra at some
stage in the future, that is something I would seriously look at for a holiday!
I think your onto something there Jok. This could work for every state as the annual meetup. Each state could be responsible for organising the event on alternating basis. Depending on who's turn it is, they could pick the venue and do the ground work for the others to attend this doesn't mean it has to be the same time every year but maybe in the time of year where the weather is at its best for that particular state and or venue chosen.
It would give the different state's a chance to show case their state and maybe the rest of us a chance to see more of this country that we would have probably wouldn't go to on a regular holiday.

just my thoughts

Grey Ghost

I think your onto something there Jok. This could work for every state as the annual meetup. Each state could be responsible for organising the event on alternating basis. Depending on who's turn it is, they could pick the venue and do the ground work for the others to attend this doesn't mean it has to be the same time every year but maybe in the time of year where the weather is at its best for that particular state and or venue chosen.
It would give the different state's a chance to show case their state and maybe the rest of us a chance to see more of this country that we would have probably wouldn't go to on a regular holiday.

just my thoughts

That sounds like a good idea, anyone think their state is worthy of next years meet?

Poolman84

I think everyone needs to arrive somewhere to set up a base like O'tooles, then branch out from that place in mixed groups eg NSW, VIC, SA, QLD, WA, NT and Tas mixed within one another to do some wheeling. Thats why a large single site will work best giving home base. Barmera SA offers shared campsites but not on top of each other, Tavern/pub, shower and loo facilities. River frontage for boats and fishing. choice of varying difficulty 4x4ing and cruising. Barmera close by offers wine tasting, fresh fruit and more. If its going to be in SA i vote for there! but you probably guessed that from my last few posts in this thread.

oznog05

See ......alI I needed to do was lay down a short and simple sentence (How about Tasmania) and look at the out come....I'm half way through nutting out the cost, destination, activities, tracks etc that could be a goer in Tassie. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been there for some info.

There seems to be a steady interest in Tassie, so even if it’s not the 2010 meet up destination I'm planning of doing it next year around April - May .

Cheer's Bill

Grey Ghost

I'm still inclined to look at SA as a good suggestion for next yrs meet-up but havn't got round to sorting out specifics yet, but vote in the poll please it gives us somewhere to start.

Last edited:

Poolman84

Did Robe to Beachport on the weekend! Great destination! plenty of wheeling. fishing, and sight seeing! Big lobster up the road! Another great SA option!

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Fraser Island or the Bundaberg area.

Fraser Island is fun, need to book out Dundubara or Waddy Point. Fishing, swimming (maybe not in the ocean), beach driving and some interesting tracks into the centre in the island.

Some of the Bundy guys should be able to give some great tracks to visit. Can camp either on the beach or bush, tracks, beach driving, etc

Split pin

How about Bendeathra part of the Deuca national park NSW.you can have a camp site for at least 100 vehicles and no body would be on top of each other. Plenty of fresh water pit toilets and fire wood.