2010 Annual meet-up

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Ok if anyone has a suggestion for a particular area how about ALSO some ideas on what can be done in that area too.

Poolman84

Barmera Loveday 4x4 park. Heaps of room for camping, river frontage plenty of offroad fun near to Mildura bit further for some i am sure but I promise it is worth it! i am sure I can swindle cheaper access and even book it out to just us numbers will dictate if that is possible! just put it to poll as previously posted! Wineries close, fresh fruit and veg, golf, fishing heaps more stuff!

BUSHNUT

Not that I'm biased at all, places like Broken Hill are not what I would call 4X4 country, just Googled 4X4 broken hill and the general theme is most of the tagalong trips are from there to the Flinders ranges and most of the sell is on them which sort of confirms my view .

Middle of the area is Mungo National park , spent an Easter there a few years ago, it's past is quite interesting but not a real of 4X4 driving to be done , what is there is rather softc@ck and can be done in 2WD.

If you run a poll then the poll should reflect what sort of 4X4 driving people want to do , Up in the Highlands, playing in mud wallows or in and out of sand dunes or just beach driving .

Lots of luck, i'ts the highlands for me, the desert is great but you have at least a fortnight to do anything spectacular .

knot_gillty

Heres what we were discussing for this years Middle Earth Meetup:

Deua N.P is located about 330klms south of Sydney.

Some attractions are:
Very remote mountain scenery, wilderness areas, waterfalls, fishing and great camping in the Bendethera Valley. Wyanbene Caves and Bendethera Cave are also in the area. Some good creek/river crossings.

Most tracks would range in the Moderate, but in winter may be a bit tougher.

Like most southern climes it can get quite cold in winter.

As i haven't been there myself i am only going by what i've read. Two good books worth looking at (sorry, gotta plug them) are:

4wd touring; South East N.S.W and East Gippsland written by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage,

and

4wd Australia by Ron and Viv Moon.

Both good reads with plenty of great trips and knowledge on all the areas travelled. Track info with waypoints and maps of the "runs" are great too.

Hope this helps and not hinders, sorry for rambling ;):D

BUSHNUT

Barmera Loveday 4x4 park. Heaps of room for camping, river frontage plenty of offroad fun near to Mildura bit further for some i am sure but I promise it is worth it! i am sure I can swindle cheaper access and even book it out to just us numbers will dictate if that is possible! just put it to poll as previously posted! Wineries close, fresh fruit and veg, golf, fishing heaps more stuff!

Hey ! I just googled that, that doesn't look bad at all !

Good Suggestion !

Poolman84

we did it on the weekend but its only two hours from Adelaide, bit unfair for the rest. Although it would be worth it. check out our trip on forum plenty of pics!

Grey Ghost

Roughly where is that?

Never mind found it.
Could be a good idea.
For those who are wondering its about 35 km west of Renmarkon the Sturt Hwy area.

Last edited:

Poolman84

Twice a year they do have a weekend competition, March/April time and October. they would be impossible to go on as they shut rest of park down for them. The park is approximately two hours west of Mildura!

Grey Ghost

we did it on the weekend but its only two hours from Adelaide, bit unfair for the rest. Although it would be worth it. check out our trip on forum plenty of pics!

O'Tooles is only 2-3 hrs from us and we've got a few interstaters coming to that so sometimes it will be close to one but another time you may have a bit of a drive.

Traveller

Had posted this elsewhere, but may be relevant to this topic as well:confused:

I think each state could hold a trip covering an iconic track, or tracks, over a period of time.
eg; Vic could do something like the Deddick, Blue Rag, Billy Goats Bluff, or even just into Wonnangatta.
The trips could be over a week to cover a decent area-this would help warrant the distance travelled
to get there.
The trips could change from year to year obviously, with hopefully at least one local that knows the
area to be involved.
There is no reason why something like this could not happen every year(maybe not in every state),
there would be no obligation or expectation on amount of vehicles as cost/time is a big factor.
This could be completely separate from annual get togethers, but could intermesh at times with them,
if that makes sense!

Another eg; if the NSW members were to program a week around Bendthra at some
stage in the future, that is something I would seriously look at for a holiday!

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
I think some of you guys underestimate what us handbrakes & kids are willing to do and places to see.

Kaz

Last edited:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Can we do a poll on who is thinking of coming

e.g.
I would be interested and open to anywhere in Australia
I would be interested if only in the central side of Australia
I would be interested if only in the Western side of Australia
I would be interested if only on the Eastern side of Australia

Now a poll on
What surface you are interested in driving on
Mud
Sand
dirt
Steep
flat
boggy
blacktop

What would you like in camp

Toilet
Shower
Deli/Snackbar/Milkbar (cause they don't have fritz in Sydney)
Restaurant
Spa

Then you could work out a location. ;) :D

knot_gillty

I agree with Tassie!! I think the only problem about it would be finding a member there who might want to take us all out. As far as i'm aware, there aren't many Tassie members. They have awesome 4wding, fishing, camping, hunting etc. All the things we love doing.

Imagine the boat trip across??!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D

LowLux

There's also the Nth East VIC National parks eg. Wyperfield (Big Desert etc) the boarder track. Where's Millsy? He could be a leader for this with his extensive knowledge.

Grey Ghost

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, it's possibly a bit early to start organizing it yet but it always helps to see what everyone is interested in doing. Having said that I'm not putting my hand up to organize it (yet anyway) just looking at interest levels so far.