2007 Triton - swapping tub for tray/canopy. Tray measurements

Sam_Driscoll

Hey gang. First time poster here.

I've acquired a beaut of a Triton dual cab but it has the tub and hard lid which are of no use for me. I'm planning to swap the tub for a flat tray and get an aluminium canopy for work/life.

My query is about the length of the tray.
This is the canopy I'm thinking to get... https://www.ozcanopies.com.au/produ...-truck-trailer-tool-box-dual-cab-18001800860/

I spoke to them and they said the tray should be slightly longer and slightly wider. But if I got much longer than 1800 I was told it just starts getting too long and becomes problematic for towing and general weight dispersion etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts if anyone can suggest the best combination for this setup.

Cheers

Triton14

But if I got much longer than 1800 I was told it just starts getting too long and becomes problematic for towing and general weight dispersion etc.
Not sure myself as I have a ute tub but I'd also be wary about going to long as most utes, especially Tritons are notorious for bent chassis when to much weight is behind the rear axle.

Just look up triton bent chassis.

Good luck.

Albynsw

1800 long is the generic standard for all dual cab utes in that category. I definitely would not be going any longer, if anything I would be considering shorter
Be very careful/ mindful of weight distribution when you are setting up how you plan to use it

Lost1?

The ML Triton tub is 1350mm long. An input to Tritons bending their chassis more than some is the wheel base is 200mm shorter than most competitors. Great for off road capability, but increases the stress on the chassis when you start towing as overall vehicle length is the same as it's competitors.

So the basic laws of physics tells us if you put more weight to the rear of the chassis (or past rear of the chassis in your case) the risk of fatiguing and bending the Chassis increases. It is common for dual cab Tritons fitted with a canopy that do serious off road work to have rub marks at the rear of the cabin from the canopy. Mine certainly does. I believe this is a pendulum effect due to the greater weight behind the rear axle centreline causing the chassis to flex more than others.

I have dual wheel carrier on my ML Triton. I need to be very conscious of how I load my vehicle when going remote. If I put too much weight in the back of the tub with a second spare mounted the Ute becomes tail happy and nervous to drive on sweeping corners at 100-110k. Fortunately I only travel 2 up (max). So I can remove my back seats and strap in a couple of heavy things where the seats used to be to change weight distribution.

I would recommend you fit a tray no longer than 1500mm in length. Especially as you mentioned a desire to tow. Good luck.