2004 Prado TD rebuild?

shaun0

My cousin has blown the engine due to a cracked radiator and no water so they pulled it down and its got a cracked head. They quoted $9000 for a rebuild on the Gold Coast or about $6000 for a 2nd hand motor with 200k on it.
Does any one know some one that might be good to do this on the Gold Coast or Brisbane as he doesnt really know what to do at the moment.

Cheers Shaun

IvanTheTerrible

What the hell are they rebuilding for 9 grand? A Mate just got a quote in Vic for a rebuild on an earlier Hilux diesel and it was 5 to 6 grand. That included piston, rings, bearings, machine work and them stripping and reassembling it.

shaun0

What the hell are they rebuilding for 9 grand? A Mate just got a quote in Vic for a rebuild on an earlier Hilux diesel and it was 5 to 6 grand. That included piston, rings, bearings, machine work and them stripping and reassembling it.

Thats what I wanted to know seems bloody expensive. Its a 1KZTE engine and has about 220k on it hes annoyed as he didnt see the temp gauge go up as he was losing water. I think the 9k was walk in walk out so all labor etc. That 5 to 6k you mention did that include taking it out and putting it back in etc?

shaun0

Yeah seen that he mainly wants to know who people recommend up there because he doesnt know any shops.

Lost1?

The new head and remove/replace the engine would eat up the difference between what Ivan has quoted and your mates job. But it wouldn't hurt to get a couple of quotes.

Perhaps an exchange motor might be the go if he can find one. Try google and post up a couple of suggestions that look good to you, see if you get response from that.