2004 Pajero and roof top tent ??????

Duzstuff

Well I am traveling around Australia in 21 ... have a 2004 Pajero exceed. Will it take the weight of a roof top tent off-road ??

Duzstuff

Feedback from 4x4 places is mixed . Some saying no way it can take the weight off-road .. and others saying ..mmm maybe should be ok. Neither fill me with confidence while driving in cape York !!! But Prorack site suggests a 75 kg rail loading so assume the “Pajero” brand on the roof are just a bit inferior to Prorack. Ps.. not meaning to hijack thread .. thought it would suit the “trainer wheels” thread. Hilukdriver .. thanks for your feedback .. I’m not sure backpackers always put safety first.. but if I don’t do a RTT .. I’m back to square one till I decide where aim going to sleep on the trip

hiluxdriver

It's been discussed on here before so it might need a bit of searching. From memory there was a difference between using standard mits roof rails opposed to standard roof bars. But both were capable of carrying the static weight of people sleeping, as well as empty travelling weights and movement when travelling. Don't take my word for it, do some searching.
Plan B is swags. I swagged it when I went up a few years back. Not so bad.

discomatt

I guess where you plan on taking it, when we did the drive out to Mitchell Falls 2 years ago I emptied the car of everything that was not 100% essential did the drive out and back in 1 day, walked in and out to the falls and did a heap of looking around along the way. We had to really push the car to its limits due to time, we left where we were camped at 5.00am and got back into camp at 9.00pm. We had zero issues with the car because it was empty, along the way we saw 2 cars with broken roof racks, one with broken suspension and 3 broken trailers on the track and in the camp grounds.
Its not as simple as will it be OK...