2001-2005 hilux headlight conversion

stufftheifs

here we are boxing day 2011 4 years after i started my hilux build and now i'm doing all the finishing touches

2002 RZN149R to ln150 sr5 Headlight conversion, this is a relitively simple conversion for those with some mecanical aptitude (i'd never done this before so it was totaly guess work for me and thought i'd make it easier for others and blog it step by step )
step one
remove all standard grill by sliding the plastic clips down, unscrew the indicators and remove , un screw lights and remove
138044_IMG_2884.jpg

781025_IMG_2870.jpg

step two
now once you have everthing removed you wil see the light buckets (brackets the lights are bolted two ) they look like the picture below
39875_IMG_2872.jpg

step three
now drill out the 6 spot welds you will see them as round indents like you driled a 1mm deep hole
221195_IMG_2872-1.jpg

138388_IMG_2873.jpg

once you have done this you are ready to apply some force in the form of a cold chisel and hammer
light bucket removed
134571_IMG_2879.jpg

then you will have a bare radiator support panel like this pictured below
109338_IMG_2874.jpg

67182_IMG_2882.jpg

step four
now you are ready to mount the new rn150 light mounts you will find these attached to your lights . there is no need for drilling all holes are already there including guild holes .
brackets mounted
619449_IMG_2875.jpg

step five
once the brackets are in you can fit your new ln150 lights i used the performance brand from panelhouse in slacks creek $260 complete with every thing needed to fit .
comparison of the two lights
180995_IMG_2878.jpg

889019_IMG_2867.jpg

138044_IMG_2884.jpg

628200_IMG_2886.jpg

asecret

Hey bro, looking at doing this to my 04 hilux. Do they just use the same wiring? Cheers.
If anyone is still wondering this I can answer it with a big fat NO, they do NOT fit directly into an 04 Lux worst luck :(

I'm mucking around trying to fit these lights today with no mounting bolts. nuts. or fittings of any kind supplied in my kit from Panel House.. Just a cr@ppy little bag of cable ties included and the indicator/park light wiring is not even close either - so out comes the soldering kit and spare nuts & bolts tin. I hope they're worth hacking into my factory loom is all I can say right now...

Edit: Photo added

Attachments

• 20211231_174450.jpg
    20211231_174450.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

chumbo

If anyone is still wondering this I can answer it with a big fat NO, they do NOT fit directly into an 04 Lux worst luck :(

I'm mucking around trying to fit these lights today with no mounting bolts. nuts. or fittings of any kind supplied in my kit from Panel House.. Just a cr@ppy little bag of cable ties included and the indicator/park light wiring is not even close either - so out comes the soldering kit and spare nuts & bolts tin. I hope they're worth hacking into my factory loom is all I can say right now...

Edit: Photo added
Aye I just got mine as well, might be a bit late but I just sanded the original globe housing to fit the new light case. Question if u don't mind do u know if the harness piggybacks off the original headlight plug cause I'm getting high and low beams both turning on at same time???

asecret

Aye I just got mine as well, might be a bit late but I just sanded the original globe housing to fit the new light case. Question if u don't mind do u know if the harness piggybacks off the original headlight plug cause I'm getting high and low beams both turning on at same time???
Hey! No idea how that would work -"sanded the original globe housing" -but great to hear you got it fitted OK. I ended-up overhauling my harness with a new 4-pin plug as shown.

YES it simply plugs into the OEM harness (on the drivers side for me). Both beams will be on until you remove the little pos/neg crossover cable, then you're good-2-go!

Attachments

• CrossOver.jpg
    CrossOver.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 4-pin.jpg
    4-pin.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 10

chumbo

Hey! No idea how that would work -"sanded the original globe housing" -but great to hear you got it fitted OK. I ended-up overhauling my harness with a new 4-pin plug as shown.

YES it simply plugs into the OEM harness (on the drivers side for me). Both beams will be on until you remove the little pos/neg crossover cable, then you're good-2-go!
That is clean as, nice work! Thanks for the heads up on the crossover cable.

Arch

Nice job! Is it safe to assume they'll fit a 2002 LN167R? The plug in your pick looks the same as the plug behind my lights so I assume the indicator and park light wiring will match up too? Cheers, Arch.