2000 Prado TX turbo diesel manual

SuperSteve

At long last, we finally sold the wife's car and have bought our 4wd.

We didn't get as much as much for it as we'd have liked, but in the end just wanted it sold, and second hand 4wd prices have doubled in the last year, so it's a fair bit older than we were hoping, but at some point you just have to pull the trigger. We didn't see any point in waiting and hoping for prices to drop again once people can travel overseas once more (or once people can buy a new 4wd without a 6+ month wait).

I had my brother go car shopping for me because he's in Brisbane and i'm stuck here in the outback.
It's pretty much stock. It has a roof rack, bull bar and it's set up for dual battery, but doesn't have the second battery.

There's not a dent on the underside of the car, and the interior looks about as new as a 20 year old vehicle could.

The service book tells us one owner, regularly serviced at the same mechanic for it's entire life.

Looks like whoever owned it never took it off road and looked after it damn well.

Paint on the bonnet is a bit iffy of course. :D

My wife was keen on finding one already kitted out for touring and off roading, but I was more keen on having our own blank canvas rather than what someone else built, and something someone else has hammered off road.

Only pictures so far are the dealer photos, so I'm going to wait until it arrives. My brother picked it up today and the wife is heading to Brisbane on the weekend to drive it back. Meanwhile my brother is going to get his mechanic to look over it.

We want to eventually do some big trips, and this likely isn't the car we'll do that in, but it's the one that will get us started and get us exploring where we live. Can't go as far as I'd like in the Falcon.

I'm not a fan of the roof rack, it looks huge and chunky, but I don't see much point in spending money to replace it with something else.
It looks like they replaced the tyres for roadworthy, and while the spare is a BFG, it's been fitted with Kuhmo MT51s (I think by the photos), and i'm quite happy with that, although i'll probably go back to BFGs when the time comes.

I want us to drive it around and go on a few small trips to get a better idea of what we want to do to it, but at this point i'm thinking:

Second battery, solar panel and a fridge, as well as charging ports for cameras/laptops.

Awning. Considering just a cheap Kings, but I also don't want to be buying the same thing over and over again because I bought cheap rubbish. That said, it's a cheap car, how much do I want to put into it?

Drawers. Just to increase the storage. I had thought back seats down and we'd have plenty of room, but we now have a dog, so that cuts storage space.

I'd really love a centre console fridge. I like the look of the Brass Monkey one that has a QI charger and a couple usb ports, but realistically it's low on the list of priorities.

New head unit. It's still got the stock CD/cassette player, which is a nice bit of nostalgia, but I want to be able to play my music, and ideally have some sort of navigation system built into it.

Cameras! Definitely a reverse camera, but i'd love a 360 degree setup. But again, i'll probably just do a standard reverse camera.

UHF. I'll probably start with a couple handhelds, because I figure they'll still be useful once I have one installed in the vehicle, so it's less of a double purchase.

Once we start doing some bigger, more remote trips I'd like a sat phone as well as a mobile signal booster, but I see that stuff as much further down the track, and likely not on this vehicle.

We're also talking moving my Falcon on and getting a 4wd for me, maybe a ute, but that's a story for another thread.

SuperSteve

It's here. Arrived on the weekend.

1618820797163.png

Good Points
- well, it's a 4wd
- has come with the bull bar, roof rack and brand new Khumo MT51s
- It's set up for an auxillary battery already
- It's lifted (seems more than 2 inches)
- One owner with all the servicing done on time at the same mechanic it's entire life

Bad Points
- Fuel economy. Only got about 500km from the 90l tank on the drive up from Brisbane. But this may be a combination of tyre pressures, the big tyres, towing a trailer, and the wife not having driven manual for a few years... and never a diesel.
- it's age and kms
- the seats seem made for short people. My shoulders almost sit on top of the driver's seat
- the paint job is showing it's age
- the roof rack looks like it might be a bit heavy and creating a good amount of drag and noise. Would prefer something more slimline.

What mods have you done?
None yet!

What mods are on the list to do?
- tinting!
- auxillary battery
- fridge in the rear. Would like a centre console fridge but the second row air con controls may prove problematic
- UHF radio
- drawers
- awning
- snorkel
- extend the 12 volt system to allow charging of cameras and laptop
- i'd like to raptor coat it but probably won't happen

Why did you buy this vehicle?

I've been living in the outback since 2017 and have barely been able to go anywhere. My wife and I want to start exploring, and eventually start touring. This will get us started, but probably won't be the car we travel Australia in.
It was also what we could afford at the time. A year ago would have netted us something a lot newer, but how long do you wait? This will be a way for us to get started and figure out what we want and don't want in our next vehicle.

How often do you go offroad?

Hopefully a lot. The day after my wife arrived with it I went into Bladensburg National Park, and workmates are all keen for some 4wd trips... if we can just find somewhere that's more than dirt roads.

What will your next vehicle be?

Unsure. Currently also have an FG Falcon, which is a great highway tourer, and the wife suggested I upgrade that to something else that's good for long trips instead of a second 4wd. Perhaps a Territory.
Seeing as we just got this, not sure what will replace it. Maybe a newer Prado unless we decide we want a bigger rig.

I've just sold my old petrol 90series prado for a 1998 (Import) 1kzte Prado 90. I've had these engines in two cars now and as long as you don't let them get hot, they're great (I'm sure you've done your reading, but if not, google '1kzte cylinder head')...

Presume the lower ball joints have been checked? (again, give it a google!)

I had my last 90 for a year, and planned big things, but even totally standard with a decent set of all-terrains it went everywhere I wanted it to. Definitely drive it around for a while, do a few tracks and a bit of exploring and then decide what mods to do.

Reference your fuel economy - I'd regularly get 600-650KM out of the main 90L tank in my Petrol. I've only done a few long trips in the 1kzte but got just under 700KM on just under 3/4 of the tank, but again running standard size tyres (265/70/16) - both autos (final drive / cruising speed is lower in the auto than the manual, however). I'll upgrade to 265/75 when I change the tyres, but hopefully shouldn't change things too much.

They're actually pretty great little 4x4's, and far easier to live with around town (and as daily as I use mine) than the 80/100 series etc.

Blue is the old petrol, green is my 1kzte!

Attachments

• 149206113_10159391439000854_2209125555795082919_n.jpg
    149206113_10159391439000854_2209125555795082919_n.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 166620096_10159502326810854_6228166045742261881_n.jpg
    166620096_10159502326810854_6228166045742261881_n.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 14

SuperSteve

I've just sold my old petrol 90series prado for a 1998 (Import) 1kzte Prado 90. I've had these engines in two cars now and as long as you don't let them get hot, they're great (I'm sure you've done your reading, but if not, google '1kzte cylinder head')...

Presume the lower ball joints have been checked? (again, give it a google!)

I had my last 90 for a year, and planned big things, but even totally standard with a decent set of all-terrains it went everywhere I wanted it to. Definitely drive it around for a while, do a few tracks and a bit of exploring and then decide what mods to do.

Reference your fuel economy - I'd regularly get 600-650KM out of the main 90L tank in my Petrol. I've only done a few long trips in the 1kzte but got just under 700KM on just under 3/4 of the tank, but again running standard size tyres (265/70/16) - both autos (final drive / cruising speed is lower in the auto than the manual, however). I'll upgrade to 265/75 when I change the tyres, but hopefully shouldn't change things too much.

They're actually pretty great little 4x4's, and far easier to live with around town (and as daily as I use mine) than the 80/100 series etc.

Blue is the old petrol, green is my 1kzte!

They're great looking cars you got! We'd have preferred green, but buying second hand sometimes you take what you can get.

I'll get it checked out by a local mechanic soon. We've got to get the timing belt done in any case. It looks like when it was serviced for the car dealer they did a good job on it, but that's just the easily seen things. I'll have to dig deeper on the weekend.

I'm estimating we're getting maybe 450km from the 90l tank, so i'll have to start going through all the things it could be.

The tyres are 285/75/16, so it's probably contributing, but from what I've read a lot of people have had fuel consumption issues happen suddenly, so there's probably underlying issues.

rob_macca67

They're great looking cars you got! We'd have preferred green, but buying second hand sometimes you take what you can get.

I'll get it checked out by a local mechanic soon. We've got to get the timing belt done in any case. It looks like when it was serviced for the car dealer they did a good job on it, but that's just the easily seen things. I'll have to dig deeper on the weekend.

I'm estimating we're getting maybe 450km from the 90l tank, so i'll have to start going through all the things it could be.

The tyres are 285/75/16, so it's probably contributing, but from what I've read a lot of people have had fuel consumption issues happen suddenly, so there's probably underlying issues.

Don't forget that u are running a much bigger tyre, so your odometer/speedo will be out by a far bit... You will have to factor this in when calculating your true economy...

redback

Diesels like to breath, so if it's not getting enough air, fuel economy will be shite so the air filter would be my first thing to check, intercooler next, radiator too as heat is a cause of bad fuel economy also.

A tired engine also, I don't know how many Ks are on it, but a tired engine causes it to run hotter, coupled with 33s and huge heavy roof rack won't help.

Also Rob has a point, work out the economy on how many Ks done from the route you took not what is on the trip metre.

SuperSteve

Don't forget that u are running a much bigger tyre, so your odometer/speedo will be out by a far bit... You will have to factor this in when calculating your true economy...
Yep. It's showing about 5km/hr too slow.

Will be starting by checking the air filter on the weekend and go from there.
300k on the engine, so it will be a bit tired. I'll be going smaller tyres again when the time comes, but these are brand new so not too keen on changing them right away.

SuperSteve

300K is not that bad really for it's age.

I like the look of the 90 series.
I was just thinking, my Falcon (2009) has 420k on it and the engine is the only thing that's not tired.

The 90 series is my favourite looking Prado, although it's very likely i'll go for a 120 or 150 when it comes to upgrade time. (Was considering a 120 before covid more than doubled the prices)

rob_macca67

Yep. It's showing about 5km/hr too slow.

Will be starting by checking the air filter on the weekend and go from there.
300k on the engine, so it will be a bit tired. I'll be going smaller tyres again when the time comes, but these are brand new so not too keen on changing them right away.
Correct but u may find that your odometer is even more out as the speedo and odometer work independently of each other. From the factory - the Speedo usually reads slightly more than what your actual speed is.
The easiest way is to work the percentage difference between the standard tyre size and what u are now running. I think u will find it will be more than 5%...

SuperSteve

So the clutch went on me while I was driving to work, which might help explain the higher fuel usage and the issues my wife had driving it home. She thought she had accidently put it into third instead of fifth and was wondering why she couldn't get to 100. Unfortunately because of it's age and kms, the dealer warranty only covers up to 1,000km, and she drove 1600km home. My brother (who spent 20+ years as a mechanic) spent a week with the car driving it around and didn't notice anything wrong, but he's also not familiar with Prados, so perhaps what he thought was normal 20yr old 4wd was perhaps an issue not picked up on.

Looking on the bright side, once fixed it'll have a new clutch. The joys of second hand cars. :D

itlldoo

change and or check all the standard maintenance bits, yes clutch, brakes, all fluids , belts, filters, tires, bushes, uni's, bearings, shocks, upper and lower control arms, hoses, wiper blades etc.
then expect starter motor and alternator to clap out but after that it will be good for another 10 years !
don't forget to get the air bags checked if it has them

SuperSteve

Clutch and timing belt are done now, and it's definitely driving nicer!

I feel like the revs aren't as high at highway speed, goes into reverse a lot easier, and i'm hoping fuel consumption is somewhat improved. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Had trouble with battery terminals being loose when it came back from the mechanics, and I got stuck down the main street just when a group of us were driving out to a sheep station. I walked down to the mechanics and he cleaned the terminals and reconnected it, and it's been fine since.

Driving to our worksite each day, i've gone from driving solo to having 3 passengers, because no one wants to ride in the dual cabs. No leg room!

cam04

If the boss got it to Winton (Bladensberg?) in 3rd towing a trailer, the head gasket and cooling system has definitely been pressure tested then. Enjoy the prado, they are a good bus. Turning those 33’s costs a bit of fuel.

SuperSteve

Have figured out that with normal driving (some around town, some from 100-110 going to work) I'm getting 13l/100km, which I guess is about what I'd expect.

Next time I head to Longreach I'll have to take it instead of the Falcon and figure out how much fuel at 100 and how much at 110. If I leave for work early enough I can avoid 110, but... I'm not a morning person!

Now I have to decide what to buy for it next. My ears say a new head unit and speakers, but maybe i'll go a tyre inflator and a set of tools so I can have a set in each car.