200 ABS

discomatt

So just got it back from the stealer, plugged in the computer and found the wheel speed sensor has an open circuit, replaced it with a working second hand one from a dinner car, fault remained.
sorry we can’t fix it go to an auto elec…
Useless pricks to say the least
Now going back thorough the info here to try and fix it.

discomatt

So not a good start, go through the process of zero calibration and can not get the required DIAG VSC OK to come up.
not inspired to change ship yet…

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
So just got it back from the stealer, plugged in the computer and found the wheel speed sensor has an open circuit, replaced it with a working second hand one from a dinner car, fault remained.
Well thats pretty sh!t so far as service diagnostics go, that would have me engaged until I found the fault - I can't leave things hanging always want to know what the problem is and what the fix is, I guess the person doing the job was totally out of their depth.

If you attach a multimeter to the wheel sensors and spin the wheel you should get some action / fluctuation on the meter, if so you start looking upstream of that looking at the loom all the way back to the ecu to see if mice have had a naw at the wiring systems there has to be a reason it is showing open circuit.

If you can't get the diagnostics to come up there is definitely an issue pointing more-so to the ecu at a guess but why is that wheel the only problem - assuming it is one of the wheels, I would have thought they could swap the ECU I/O input from the affected wheel to another wheel input to ensure that the I/O port to the ecu was OK.

Bloody cars :mad:

Hope you figure it out sooner rather than later as it is a real drag on your holiday to have issues.

stevemc181

Actually Steve, I was really disappointed in several things you wrote on another platform and those exact words were used to demean me, it was not an easy decision to pull out and my primary thoughts were not spoiling your or anyone else's trip - if you recall I am into computer systems when I stepped up and helped Mt Dare with their network issues, so when someone alerts me to things on the internet it doesn't take much effort to find it - I have the screen shot if you would like me to post it.

If you read my initial post it was highly complimentary towards you but unfortunately it was not reciprocated which was a real shame. After reading your post it made me feel terrible for pulling out and indeed I created a post asking others for there opinions on when to pull out of a trip and I think the responses spoke for themselves, indeed Boobooks post above highlighted what other well experienced 4wd'ers think as well, so am comfortable with my decision and still have a working 4wd.

I will leave it there as I think I have made it clear now who it was and others can decide whether to join you on trips or not, you are to be commended on supporting Mark & his Triton, but I don't think I would trust you on another trip unfortunately.

without prejudice

Cookie
I don’t recall posting anything anywhere that demeaned you, if I did I’ll apologise for that.
My personal opinion is your transmission overheated because you tackled the dune in high range, which in my mind was just a stupid thing to do in the first place. No skin off my nose if you don’t want to do another trip with me, the feeling is mutual.

boobook

This website has all the diagnostics and test processes. It's paid but you can select the year and model 200. It will guide you through tests for an open circuit or whatever. It is the same as what the dealers use.

You have to sign up and pay.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don’t recall posting anything anywhere that demeaned you, if I did I’ll apologise for that.
My personal opinion is your transmission overheated because you tackled the dune in high range, which in my mind was just a stupid thing to do in the first place. No skin off my nose if you don’t want to do another trip with me, the feeling is mutual.
OK, here is the post and thank you for the apology - I guess retraction of what you posted is too late now

There is a problem with your opinion
  1. No, I didn't make it up the already cut up dune for the first couple of times before my dash lit up with Auto Trans over temperature light
  2. Yes, I did make it up using an alternate dune after letting the Transmission cool down and lights go out, so again, you have posted about me incorrectly stating I didn't even get up the first dune, again the only reason I didn't proceed was to err on the side of caution and not spoil other peoples trip, I think of myself as considerate of others.
  3. I was in 4wd Low but did try high the first time, this wasn't my first rodeo travelling Deserts so to label people as "stupid" because they know their car better than you is rather arrogant, particularly how many times I have done this, but then as you made adverse comments about others, some of which you cite as friends the night before, I guess that is in your MO. BTW, the guy you referred to as making a useless comment was actually an Officer in the Army and Police Officer but then anyone that doesn't agree with you is going to come under your fire.
  4. Travelling alone for 5 hours down the Colson Track into the night until I could find a clearing, I don't consider an easy route home
  5. It was proven to be heavily built up Spinifex Grass wedged in between the Auto Trans Cooler and the Radiator where it was impossible to see, so not because I attempted 4wd high first - I may say was a "useless comment"
  6. You were very displeased when something adverse happened to you just a short time before the trip resulting in your Patrol being on the back of a flat bed but there was no mention in your postings about this, only about how good the Patrol is and how good you were.
  7. I am not short of people that I go 4wding with, in fact I am organising a group to go across the Simpson again next year, will be my 14.5 time across, like I have many times before, and when sh!t happens at least I don't go posting it all over social media and trying to make them look silly - to me that is not what 4wding is about, it is about helping others and building their confidence and experience.
Next time you think about writing on Social Media, just ask yourself, is it constructive or should I add dragons - again. Unfortunately Steve, you have undone what was a good trip with great people and the fact you choose to denigrate others to build yourself up, is sad.

IMG_0034.PNG

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
This website has all the diagnostics and test processes. It's paid but you can select the year and model 200. It will guide you through tests for an open circuit or whatever. It is the same as what the dealers use.

You have to sign up and pay.

Wow, that is an invaluable tool to have - pricing is in Euro but I see you can do a daily subscription

Do you have a working copy?

discomatt

In the dealers defence they hey did squeeze in a break down at a moments notice but having said that they stated they would look at it mid morning, we got it back at 4.30 and it just sat in the yard most of the day.
my mate wants to wait for an auto elec to check it out but that’s a day away to even speak with him due to the holiday
Bloody hard to even start finding faults with no diagnostic computer on a modern car and no wiring diagram which I asked for from the dealer there was a pretty solid no sorry can’t do that

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
In the dealers defence they hey did squeeze in a break down at a moments notice but having said that they stated they would look at it mid morning, we got it back at 4.30 and it just sat in the yard most of the day.
my mate wants to wait for an auto elec to check it out but that’s a day away to even speak with him due to the holiday
Bloody hard to even start finding faults with no diagnostic computer on a modern car and no wiring diagram which I asked for from the dealer there was a pretty solid no sorry can’t do that
That is so disappointing, Pt Hedland Toyota fitted me in straight away - tow truck dropped it at the workshop, they had it fixed in a very short space of time but I guess that was straight forward wheel stud replacement.

Even if they did a partial print out it probably would have helped you, but... I have DM'd you for your email as I may have something that could help but not prepared to put it here

cheers

discomatt

That is so disappointing, Pt Hedland Toyota fitted me in straight away - tow truck dropped it at the workshop, they had it fixed in a very short space of time but I guess that was straight forward wheel stud replacement.

Even if they did a partial print out it probably would have helped you, but... I have DM'd you for your email as I may have something that could help but not prepared to put it here

cheers
PM sent

stevemc181

OK, here is the post and thank you for the apology - I guess retraction of what you posted is too late now

There is a problem with your opinion
  1. No, I didn't make it up the already cut up dune for the first couple of times before my dash lit up with Auto Trans over temperature light
  2. Yes, I did make it up using an alternate dune after letting the Transmission cool down and lights go out, so again, you have posted about me incorrectly stating I didn't even get up the first dune, again the only reason I didn't proceed was to err on the side of caution and not spoil other peoples trip, I think of myself as considerate of others.
  3. I was in 4wd Low but did try high the first time, this wasn't my first rodeo travelling Deserts so to label people as "stupid" because they know their car better than you is rather arrogant, particularly how many times I have done this, but then as you made adverse comments about others, some of which you cite as friends the night before, I guess that is in your MO. BTW, the guy you referred to as making a useless comment was actually an Officer in the Army and Police Officer but then anyone that doesn't agree with you is going to come under your fire.
  4. Travelling alone for 5 hours down the Colson Track into the night until I could find a clearing, I don't consider an easy route home
  5. It was proven to be heavily built up Spinifex Grass wedged in between the Auto Trans Cooler and the Radiator where it was impossible to see, so not because I attempted 4wd high first - I may say was a "useless comment"
  6. You were very displeased when something adverse happened to you just a short time before the trip resulting in your Patrol being on the back of a flat bed but there was no mention in your postings about this, only about how good the Patrol is and how good you were.
  7. I am not short of people that I go 4wding with, in fact I am organising a group to go across the Simpson again next year, will be my 14.5 time across, like I have many times before, and when sh!t happens at least I don't go posting it all over social media and trying to make them look silly - to me that is not what 4wding is about, it is about helping others and building their confidence and experience.
Next time you think about writing on Social Media, just ask yourself, is it constructive or should I add dragons - again. Unfortunately Steve, you have undone what was a good trip with great people and the fact you choose to denigrate others to build yourself up, is sad.

View attachment 74403
You can whinge all you like, we know the facts. I see nowhere in that post of any mention of who you are, maybe you need to thicken your hide a bit?
No matter, we’ll never be in agreement and if you want to start attacking me personally it shows your true personality.

I’ll leave it at that, as I’m not interested in the usual bitching and griping that goes on this forum,

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
You can whinge all you like, we know the facts. I see nowhere in that post of any mention of who you are, maybe you need to thicken your hide a bit?
No matter, we’ll never be in agreement and if you want to start attacking me personally it shows your true personality.

I’ll leave it at that, as I’m not interested in the usual bitching and griping that goes on this forum,
Not whinging just putting your poor behaviour out there and Yes, I posted the facts - you were not in my car nor present for the rest of my trip

Mate I never attacked you I think history and the evidence is there for all to see fortunately I not on the media that you posted on but those who knew the situation certainly identified who were you defaming, I won't identify the others that you were "attacking" during the first night.

I think your hide is thick enough for the both of us, particularly your ego, I just knew in the back of my mind what sort of conversation you would have had after I left but never thought you would go onto social media and let loose with the unwarranted and uneducated attack.

Anyway, I'm busy trying to help Matt & his friend so moving on

boobook

no wiring diagram which I asked for from the dealer there was a pretty solid no sorry can’t do that
Not sure what year your mate's is. This is from a 2016

Your friend should subscribe for a few days on the site I posted. It will have the exact year and diagnostic steps.
1663826814748.png

1663826758592.png

Attachments

• 1663818192906.png
    1663818192906.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

boobook

That is very strange behaviour from a dealer. A fault they have half diagnosed as a drop in, they say they can't fix it, and then they tell you to go to an auto electrician? Wow.

Did they say "we can't fix it, go to an auto elec"?

Or did they say "we are booked out for several days and can't fit you in to look at it poperly until xyz. Your alternative if you want it quickly is an auto electrician who may be able to look at it"

If it is the first your friend should report them to Toyota, if it is the second one then that seems perfectly understandable to me as unpalatable as it may be. Two different things.

Last edited:

discomatt

So long story short, it’s all fixed by a local auto elec took him about an hour to o find and fix, he even came out on the public holiday
The dealer was right on n his diagnosis but he offered no further support and just said we don’t have time for this find a auto electrician here is some names and numbers
numbers none of which answered the phone as it was 5.00 by the time we called them , we called another one recommended by the park owner’s
Thanks all for the responses and help

boobook

So long story short, it’s all fixed by a local auto elec took him about an hour to o find and fix, he even came out on the public holiday
The dealer was right on n his diagnosis but he offered no further support and just said we don’t have time for this find a auto electrician here is some names and numbers
numbers none of which answered the phone as it was 5.00 by the time we called them , we called another one recommended by the park owner’s
Thanks all for the responses and help
So....... What was the problem, and fix Matt?

What caused the sensor to go open circuit while driving?

discomatt

Broken wire further up the he loom, he said it was due to being stretched under full articulation, I find that hard to believe because there was nothing on the track that would be even remotely close to needing that sort of flex but who cares, it’s fixed and the holiday continues as planed , last few nights we were at Warroora or more precisely out the back of the station on a he coast right behind the first sand dune , Nyinggulu (Ningaloo) coastal reserve