2 different size batteries

Swaggie

IMG_20170124_153616.jpg

Swaggie

If he is using a solinoid it wouldn't be in parallel then would it ???, unless you join the batteries together like my TJM DBS in cab unit does if I wish too (winching etc)).It also protects the starter battery so therefore will use the auxiliary batt for the fridge etc only ?????

Tink

A basic solenoid or relay is usually ignition activated. Switch off ignition, batteries are isolated. Switch on, batteries are joined.
A Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) has a few smarts built in and will only join the batteries when the cranking battery is above a preset voltage and will disconnect when the cranking drops below a preset cut off.
Tink

red hilux

Update

Been having battery problems. Looks like both batteries are only charging up to 60% capacity.

One battery is 100ah and the newer smaller one is 60ah

I'm replacing the bigger battery as it's an older battery. But they are gonna do something to fix the newer one.

This has also made me change my set up.

I'm going to post a new thread tomorrow with a very basic run down to my electrical system.

drivesafe

Hi again Red, can I make a suggestion.

It is commonplace for any brand of battery charger to reach a “full charged “ during the charge cycle and then goes into float.

Try putting the charger on every evening and leave it on the batteries over night, and then remove ( turn off ) the charger during the day.

If you have the patience to do this for a week, then see if your batteries hold a better capacity.

Again, this is just a suggestion, as this type of charging can recondition old/unused batteries.

Might save you some money.

red hilux

Thanks dude

I have the battery shop I use doing everything free of charge. They have the gear and better knowledge of batteries than me

I've been using them for years, I trust what they say. I get trade prices from them.

red hilux

Hi again Red, can I make a suggestion.

It is commonplace for any brand of battery charger to reach a “full charged “ during the charge cycle and then goes into float.

Try putting the charger on every evening and leave it on the batteries over night, and then remove ( turn off ) the charger during the day.

If you have the patience to do this for a week, then see if your batteries hold a better capacity.

Again, this is just a suggestion, as this type of charging can recondition old/unused batteries.

Might save you some money.

I think, I think my old battery is salavable. I've fully charged it with my battery charger. I've now got a charger for cal battery.

I've just given the battery a 9 hour beating down to 5v. Took the load off and she slowly settled back at 11.14v.

Ive just put it back on charge. And I will install it back into the car, in and out when I'm using my thirsty fridge. Should give me a total if 200aH

I won't go into the full reason. But I'm changing my 120 panel to 130. And the old 120 will become removable. But when fitted. Should give me about 240-250w

Komang

Sorry to dig old thread @red hilux
As original ranger mine had 80AH dual purposed battery AGM
I will add another (pararel) dual purposed AGM 120AH (remove able) and will acomodate removeable winch (tow bar)
Hows your dual battery now @red hilux ?
Thanks

red hilux

No prob

i run another dcdc charger

basically, I have 2 dual battery systems in my car.
First is a 60 or 80ah battery ( can’t remember ) that can be used as an emergency crank battery is the primary battery is flat. This battery runs my car stereo, usbs, phone chargers, with lights etc.

Second one is a 120ah lithium battery, using a projecta dcdc lithium only profile charger. This runs my 75 dual zone fridge and my 1000w inverter

Komang

Cheers mate for the info
Mine will be different scrnario as it the same battery only different AH
Thanks