2.8 again or something different

mongrel_83

well i think i might have killed my 2.8 on the weekend im not 100% sure yet as i had to leave it 500k from home till this weekend.
if the out come is its had it should i stick with rebuilding the 2.8 or go with something else with a bit more punch??????

what are your thoughts and my possible options its a 92 hilux

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
First and foremost, how much do you wana spend?? When mine died I threw up about 10 different options from a very basic rebuild, $7K to the Chev conversion, $20K.

Sort out the dollers ya spend.

Smokey28

Get it quoted/diagnoised first and go from there. It maybe someting basic...or not.
Even if its the head and worse cse the heads stuffed, should be around parts and labour (incl new bare head) $4000 odd....check the boys over at patrol4x4.com for more info..

Good luck.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
well i think i might have killed my 2.8 on the weekend im not 100% sure yet as i had to leave it 500k from home till this weekend.
if the out come is its had it should i stick with rebuilding the 2.8 or go with something else with a bit more punch??????

what are your thoughts and my possible options its a 92 hilux

I would stick with the little motor. I have a 2.8 also. I love it! It climbs steep sandy hills just as well as cars with much bigger motors - just a little more sedately.

But the big plus is that it uses less than half the fuel than other cars with big motors. So it lets me do heaps of kms for few dollars. I don't mind climbing the odd steep hill a bit slower than the others!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would stick with the little motor. I have a 2.8 also. I love it! It climbs steep sandy hills just as well as cars with much bigger motors - just a little more sedately.

But the big plus is that it uses less than half the fuel than other cars with big motors. So it lets me do heaps of kms for few dollars. I don't mind climbing the odd steep hill a bit slower than the others!

It's a diesel, Millsy. Bit different.

Put a Chev in it!!:cool:

HOGO80

frosty you would put a chev in your kitchen blender!!
Does anyone know the approximate difference in fuel consumption between the 2.8 and 3 litre hilux's?? and does an aftermarket turbo change fuel consumption significantly?? I get about 550 to a 66 litre tank depending on highway(less) or high traffic km's(more).
I know it depends on the driver etc etc, but on average is there more 'bang for ya buck' i.e. more power to fuel consumption ratio, with the 3 compared to the 2.8?

mongrel_83

if it the worst it will be a full rebuild the boys are towin it back from peak hill for me today so once i pull the glow plugs out and turn it to squirt the water out ill know how bad it is if its stuffed ill start thinkin about wat to do then i have a few things in mind but im hoping she is still alive

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Did you drown it?? If so, it's not difficult to ressurect it. Providing you havent hydro locked it and destroyed something??

jack48

Reading all these posts, it really sounds like you love the 2.8, so bite the bullet and repair/rebuild it. Would be financially cheaper than a Chev, maybe a pre loved motor out of a wreck if available could be another answer, you are the only one who knows the answer, hoping it can be resurrected at an affordable cost, good luck.

mongrel_83

well she is home ive pulled the glow plugs out and turned by hand no problems then cranked with battery no problems, glow plugs back in and turns but sounds slugish and wont fire any ideas??????

mongrel_83

narh we dragged it behind a mates ute the battery ended up dying on me so she goes now ill change the oil at work again tomorrow but i noticed alot of oil that seems to be coming from the compressor wheel on my turbo does anyone know wat the go there is it is a fair ammount