2/21 Isuzu MU-X broke down with electrical issues

Can somebody please help me? I have been to two separate auto electrician look at MU-X with no joy! I have only had the electrical issues when I had the following professional fitted: Projecta DC/Solar 3 Stage Battery Charger 9-32V -25A and a Projecta 12/24V Dual Battery Volt Meter. Today my 2/21 Isuzu MU-X broke down with electrical issues and I had to call RACQ Roadside Assist. The engine light came on and the Check Transmission Warning Light came on, then the vehicle stopped and would not start. The RACQ Roadside Assist mechanic did a diagnostic computer check and cleared the error reading of P0780 code “Shift” error. I have contacted Isuzu recently about my continuing electrical issues and they have informed me that they do not know of any standard MU-X vehicle electrical issues.A Isuzu mechanic said over the phone that it is probably an earth Issue with the Duel Battery System that I fitted After Market by the 4x4 accessories shop; therefore not a Isuzu fault. When driving at around 80-100 km the Speedometer needle jumps all over the place, this is more evident when accelerating and when the volt meter readings are bouncing/moving up and down erratically. It appears that the secondary battery is “NOT” being charged sufficiently. When I put the 60L Engel Fridge/Freezer on then drive off at speed the Anderson Plug 30 AMP fuse trips. When the fridge is connected but turned of this does not trip. But I still have the above issue connected or not connected. Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. The RACQ Roadside Assist mechanic informed me that he recently did an RACQ Up Skilling course where this P0780 code “Shift” error and other associated electrical issues have been occurring with the new late model Ford Ranger 4x4’s, Isuzu 4x4’s and Holden 4x4 Colorado’s that have had aftermarket Duel Battery Systems installed. He said that they have been advised that the issues they found was that the insufficient earth point and that the AMP meters and converters need to be fitted closer to the power source.

Triton14

Can somebody please help me? I have been to two separate auto electrician look at MU-X with no joy! I have only had the electrical issues when I had the following professional fitted: Projecta DC/Solar 3 Stage Battery Charger 9-32V -25A and a Projecta 12/24V Dual Battery Volt Meter. Today my 2/21 Isuzu MU-X broke down with electrical issues and I had to call RACQ Roadside Assist. The engine light came on and the Check Transmission Warning Light came on, then the vehicle stopped and would not start. The RACQ Roadside Assist mechanic did a diagnostic computer check and cleared the error reading of P0780 code “Shift” error. I have contacted Isuzu recently about my continuing electrical issues and they have informed me that they do not know of any standard MU-X vehicle electrical issues.A Isuzu mechanic said over the phone that it is probably an earth Issue with the Duel Battery System that I fitted After Market by the 4x4 accessories shop; therefore not a Isuzu fault. When driving at around 80-100 km the Speedometer needle jumps all over the place, this is more evident when accelerating and when the volt meter readings are bouncing/moving up and down erratically. It appears that the secondary battery is “NOT” being charged sufficiently. When I put the 60L Engel Fridge/Freezer on then drive off at speed the Anderson Plug 30 AMP fuse trips. When the fridge is connected but turned of this does not trip. But I still have the above issue connected or not connected. Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. The RACQ Roadside Assist mechanic informed me that he recently did an RACQ Up Skilling course where this P0780 code “Shift” error and other associated electrical issues have been occurring with the new late model Ford Ranger 4x4’s, Isuzu 4x4’s and Holden 4x4 Colorado’s that have had aftermarket Duel Battery Systems installed. He said that they have been advised that the issues they found was that the insufficient earth point and that the AMP meters and converters need to be fitted closer to the power source.
Hate to say it but is the reason why you have gone to 2 separate auto lecky's is because you have voided your warranty & Isuzu want nothingto do with it??

So what did the "professional" outfit that did the works say about your problem seeing as it started after they did their work??
Take it back to them!

Hate to say it but is the reason why you have gone to 2 separate auto lecky's is because you have voided your warranty & Isuzu want nothingto do with it??

So what did the "professional" outfit that did the works say about your problem seeing as it started after they did their work??
Take it back to them!

Take it back to them!

Take it back to them!
One was a 4x4 Accessories joint that fitted the Projecta DC/Solar 3 Stage Battery Charger 9-32V -25A. The speedo then started to play up and it was not charging properly but they were to busy and would not look at it for another 5 weeks. They also stated they had another MUX doing the same thing after they installed the Dual Battery System. Two weeks later I then had the Projecta 12/24V Dual Battery Volt Meter installed by a different Auto Electrician and Anderson plug extensions put to the rear for the Engal Fridge and for a Air Compresser (to be fitter at a later date) and had them look at what appeared to be an earth issue. The vehicle electrical system has been progressively worse and more frequent. The second Auto Electrician has looked at the vehicle twice now and have not fixed the problem. Isuzu has not wiped the vehicle warranty they have informed me that is the Dual Battery installation issue.

The first 4x4 Accessories installation shop can get me in to have a look at it for another 2 weeks. Poor service and lack of performance in looking after a customer I say. Just putting the feelers out to see if anybody else have dealt with the same issues and had the fault rectified?

Triton14

Sorry no ideas as it could be anything from a poor crimp/solder connection to the installer getting their wires crossed on the dc-dc charger & it's screwed with you computer?

But this is why I in the end I built my own system as through a lack of trust with so called "professionals"

I'd be calling them back & say your taking it to the dept fair trading & see if they magically get an earlier opening.

BUT now sounds like you have a 3rd party involved now with the volt meter :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone here will have a better idea?

good luck

Last edited:

phs

Fairly clean cut it is the “professional outfit” have a responsibility to ensure the works they carried out are to industry standards and the parts they fitted are fit for purpose

given the issues started straight after there install it is more than likely it was caused by them

The car has to go back to them, tell them 5 weeks is not a reasonable time frame to look at an issue that is rendering the vehicle unusable

Albynsw

Temporarily disconnect the aftermarket installation and see if it fixes the problem. You will then know who to chase to sort it out .
If it is a problem with the dual battery installation they need to sort it in a timely manner otherwise contact fair trading