1998 Holden Frontera Sport 2.0 - Help please.

Neil Cheetham

Hi everyone,

As noted in the new members posts, i have never really done much off-roading in the past so count myself as a complete beginner. I listened to what you all had to say and have ordered the '4wd trecks around Sydney' book online so that i can find some beginner/easy tracks to get use to being off the beaten track. I also went out and purchased a small compressor and an air tyre guage & deflater as one of the members mentioned the importance of tyre pressure

I have attached some photos of my new Frontera that i have purchased for mainly an off-road bit of fun/camping trips, however i will still need it to be functional on-road too.

20151102_132149_zps2vghnbqk.jpg

20151102_132131_zpsdzvctiet.jpg

20151102_132112_zpsawf5r6tv.jpg

Now to pick your brains -

Tyres - So, the current tyre size on the vehicle is 235/70/16 and i will be in need of new ones within the next 3000-5000kms. I was looking originally at the BFGoodrich All-Terrain 245/75/16 as a replacement but am a little concerned that the extra height on the tyre combined with the extra width could impact my steering when off road. Has anyone got any opinion on if this would be the issue? My other option would be the the Hankook dynapro AT-M RF10 245/70/16 Tyres. Im fairly sure that the width wouldn't be an issue after looking at the gap available with current tyres and the height would not alter from the current tyres i have on at the moment. I have also read reviews saying they are really nice tyres and with them being a fair bit cheaper than the BFG's, they're becoming very difficult to turn down.

This brings me nicely on to my next topic - Ride height. Now lets not get things twisted, i know im not going to conquer Everest in one of these vehicles, especially not with the money im prepared to spend, but i have read that the petrol tank hangs pretty low and in turn, can cause me to get caught at times? I have looked at https://www.calmini.com/ and seen 2" lift kits. But when i see body lift kit and suspension lift kit, i really am not sure what i am looking at. Can anyone fill me in on what would be better suited for me and/or if both are required?

Bull/Roo Bars - I understand that the Holden Rodeo bars (i assume similar age vehicle) can fit directly onto the Holden Frontera, is this correct? I was browsing some forums and found a picture of a Frontera (pictured below) who said that they got an Isuzu Bighorn bull bar and it bolted straight on. I really like the look of it and want a bar that will protect my lights (as you can see by the pictures of mine above, mine doesn't do that). If anyone can confirm this/knows of someone with a spare bar similar to this that they want to get rid of, please let me know.

Frontera%20bull%20bar_zpsz3slyd10.jpg

As for what i do after getting these basics set-up - I'm not sure, but i sure would love any advice and information that the people of this forum could provide to help me learn the ropes.

Cheers,
Neil.

P.S - Yes that puppy in the picture will be joining me on some of these adventures!

billolga

Your starting out on the right foot with the compressor etc & the '4wd trecks around Sydney' book - Don't get too carried away yet with the Mods until you get a bit of experience under your belt. Start off with some of the easier trips in the Book & some Trips from the Forum or with some experienced Off Roader's & then build up your mods.

Neil Cheetham

Your starting out on the right foot with the compressor etc & the '4wd trecks around Sydney' book - Don't get too carried away yet with the Mods until you get a bit of experience under your belt. Start off with some of the easier trips in the Book & some Trips from the Forum or with some experienced Off Roader's & then build up your mods.
No worries thanks for responding. I'll check out trips on the forum and go from there.

4runnerSteve

Took one of these for a drive a wile back and i loved it. I dont think the small difference in tyre size is going to make much difference at all. As the others said, all you need to start is a compressor and a good gauge, and somebody to go with.
The frontera is a badge engineered isuzu MU, so the bulbar from a few other isuzus is the same, i dont really know which with any certainty though, a tape measure and a few wrecking yards should find what your looking for.
And on the topic of lifts. A suspention lift involves swapping out your springs and shocks for taller ones, gives you more height of the entire chassis. A body lift uses blocks in between the body and chassis. If/when your ready to get it lifted, go with the suspension lift, and 2 inches lift should be plenty.

Paddler Ed

Have a look online for the Vauxhall Frontera as well, they're quite popular with the greenlaners in the UK, so there is a bit of knowledge on them.

hal9000

you will get 2457516 successfully under her. or 2557016 for a slight reduction in height ..note: these will kill your take off power in high... but make it good in low 1st..

TYNO87

I also got a bullbar of a similar aged rodeo on the front

Considering the original post was 5 years ago mate I’d say he’s already made his mind up regarding tyres lol. I’m sure he’d appreciate the sentiment though. Why don’t you start another topic up, post some photos and tell us about your rig?