Change background image

1996 GQ V8 Build, D40 Navara & Bronco

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Kouf97, May 17, 2018.

1. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

About a gear ago I got rid of the 3l lemon of a GU, I needed something more reliable and suitable for work and ended up with a V6 Navara.
    [​IMG]
    It did the job and with a set of A/T's 2inch Lift and a Bullbar was managing to still get me to the usual camping and hunting spot (and recovered a few hiluxs :p.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was starting to get sick of not being able to go on any of the trips with my mates as the Navra sucks offroad and it's critical for my business to be reliable so it was decided a dedicated Tow/4wd/hunting vehicle was needed so the Navara could stick to work duties. Picked up a 1996 GQ RD28
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

How she looked a couple days ago.:confused: I have never in my life seen a car so disgusting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got to work early, pulled the seats out and chucked on the 35's she came with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now time to get this hunk of junk out, came with a supposedly "blown" rd28. It looks like the tensioner for the timing belt let go so might try my luck and replace it and see if I can get anything for the motor. Running gear seems to be in OK condition, the body is bad but isn't too much of a worry. Luckily there is barely any substantial rust which is a good start...
    [​IMG]

RBJET and JP147 like this.
  3. LCV8VICTORIA

LCV8VICTORIA Active Member

Should sell both and just buy a 4.2l patrol gu
    Be spending less money in the long run :p

Gonna have to spend heaps on that old gq

2 regos
    2 insurance
    If ya had one could just put all ya money into a daily and Comp truck on one :p

Kouf97 likes this.
  4. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

No thanks lol, always been a Toyota man and if I was going to spend that much it would be in a 80. Somehow I keep ending up with bloody nissans :mad:

Not a fan of diesels at all and so far the GQ has cost me nothing, I did the timing belt last night and she kicked over perfectly runs absolutely perfectly, bloody lucky I reckon. Once I sell the motor and box that should just about cover the engine swap. ( For a GQ with a "Blown Motor" she runs perfectly :D)

I tried having a car I could use for both work and play and it never ended well. Always runing things

Not too fussed about running costs on it, got to pay to play.

Picked up a full set of seats for her aswell of a top spec safari edition, carpets are cleaning up well.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    LCV8VICTORIA likes this.
  5. LCV8VICTORIA

LCV8VICTORIA Active Member

Keen to see this build up, will be a beast!

Yeah probs best to have a play car and work one.

6. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Last weekend was spent putting in the new seats and cleaning the interior, removed all rust and treated where necessary. Should be good for another 20years use now. You can almost sit in the car without wanting to throw up which is a good start
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after successfully getting the 2.8 running, I just had to give her a little try at the local 4wd tracks until I quickly realised neither front wheels were getting drive and got a bit stuck, sounds like driver side hub is screwed but will investigate further
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put her to a bit of work while I was servicing the Navara, when the trailer is worth 6 times more than the car :eek:
    [​IMG]

Within a couple days the 2.8 and gearbox were sold and the V8 was organised.
    Left work in south Sydney at 4pm and headed up to Macksville and made it back to work the next day at 5am. Hopefully the drive was worth it. Got a ford 302, 4.2 gearbox and full Dellows conversion Kit for a very reasonable price.

This weekend the real work starts, going to get it engineered and remove all the EFI crap and go old school carby fed. Shes got so much wireing mess to fix, should be a bit of fun.
    [​IMG]

LCV8VICTORIA likes this.
  7. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

Have you considered buying a carb fuel injection kit as its dead simple to install ? Failing that the 2nd best thing if your going carby is a Rochester. Best economy and power even on a ford . https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fif-30003/overview/

LCV8VICTORIA likes this.
  8. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Hey Muc, thought about it a bit and still considering the EFI system as the motor came with a standalone ECU and the wiring harness ready to install.
    What you have suggested is also on the cards.
    This is only going to be my 4wd/ hunting trip car so probs won't see more than 10 000ks a year so fuel isn't the biggest of concerns. If I can manage to get 600ks out of 180L towing my camper ill be happy.

Carby is just so simple to install, tune ect and Ive been working on them for a long time now.

9. Andrew_LN65

Andrew_LN65 Active Member

Cool project!

You said you're going to get it engineered, best have a chat to one before going too far. In victoria at least, putting carbs on a previously efi motor is a no go from my understanding of the rules. Or at best you'd still have to pass the IM240 emissions test which would be nigh impossible with carbs.

10. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Yeah I've got most of that sorted mate. Involved in the industry so it makes things a bit easier to get done. The car will pass engineering in NSW and then will be getting changed up. I have the standalone ecu, cats ect to get it passed.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  11. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Well, I have been a bit slack with the build, haven't had much time to do much on it.
    Spent pretty much all the time just cleaning out the engine bay, the amount of built-up grease and crap was ridiculous. Removed all the unnecessary vacuum hoses and other bit and pieces and got it ready for the engine mounts.
    [​IMG]

Got the 4.2 gearboxes in first then brought the motor down and lined everything up. Made some custom engine mounts and marked everything in position.
    [​IMG]

Motor came back out, original mounts got cut out then welded in the new mounts. Cleaned it all up, primed and painted it so it looks nice and fresh
    [​IMG]

Fitted the clutch and put the motor back in and that's about it. Hopefully, this weekend can get allot knocked over and have her running.

[​IMG]

Had to use a boss sump for diff clearance and relocate the dipstick.

[​IMG]

Still have to drain the fuel tank and replace the rubber hoses with EFI hoses and add a fuel pump, went with an old xr6 turbo fuel pump that was lying around.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to just getting it running and legal then all the fun stuff starts.

smitty_r51 likes this.
  12. Barra GU

Barra GU Well-Known Member

Nice... i think you say youre a Toyota man but the truth shows ;)

There aint anytbing better than a patrol off road...
    The gq is avery nimble rig, has loads of spare parts available and very cheap...

I look forward to seeing how you go with the ford 302....
    I have a gu amd also wemt a ford engine...
    Screenshot_20180712-222834.jpg

13. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Yeah, mate got to agree with you there, even my old GU was great offroad. Always wanted a 100series factory 4.2 but the way prices are goingI'lll probably end up in a y62 or a yank tank before i touch a toyota.

Plans for this one is custom bar work all around, 37s, double lockers, reductions, 3inch lift ect.

Not quite as tough and nowhere near the power of your beast of a GU but it should go alright (been reading your build thread since day 1 ).

I remember reading somewhere you wanted to give 6 stage a try, id be more than happy to give it a crack in this with you, only been up once in a 4wd usually on the bike but I think the GQ would have half a chance getting up once she is finished.

Barra GU likes this.
  14. Barra GU

Barra GU Well-Known Member

Hey mate , yeah toyotas are bloody nice rigs too but just dont like the price tag they come with either...
    You sound vety simular to me and are unbiased to brands and give credit to where credits due.
    I used to have an 80 series cruiser td4.2 and loved it...

I also have a 2017 200 series sahara so i am still a toyota fanboy at heart just as much as i love patrols...

Your rig will be mental when finished.
    As for 6 stages yeah been keen to head up to yalwal for bloody ever...
    When im gunna do it i will be heading out with a few of the local boys off the yalwal fb page which youre most probably on so keep an eye open for it!
    Wont be for a while mate as im racing out back challenge in September amd then mrs gives birth to our 2nd child in jan feb so wont be planning interstate trip for a while...

By then it may be a dual cab chop lol

15. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Well a New Project has just been added.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Factory 351 Clevo, Ally heads, mild cam cam, msd ect. straight gas
    Running f250 5 speed Manual

Should be good fun