Change background image

1985 G-Wagon (Lloyds Auction)

Discussion in 'Vehicles 4 Sale' started by Choook, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

2. Synchro

Synchro Well-Known Member

That current bid is probably a bit much but they are a nice vehicle - they were just badged as a Mercedes (also badged as a Peugeot) as the G wagen was actually designed and built by Steyr Puch in Austria as the replacement for the Haflinger. The proper Steyr Puch G Wagen is even rarer with the the Peugeot version the rarest of the lot.

Even the basic current Mercedes G Wagen (non AMG) are built in the Steyr factory in Gratz Austria.

CaptainBanana and Bomber2012 like this.
  3. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

I went for a ride in one about the time this one was born, although it was a 4 door hardtop, you couldn't stop it with a baseball bat. Triple locked, even the upholstery was designed so you didn't slip forward when pointing down hill.

4. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member

I have memories of one of my brother's school mates parents running a 300GDL from new in the late 1980's - the amusement was that the main driver was 5' on a good day! Matt also ended up fixing the gearbox aged about 14... they were that sort of simple.

In the UK, they were sold via Mercedes Commercial dealers, so never really got the traction in the market.